City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

The problem is that the PL broadcasting deals will still give the Premier League a massive advantage in paying player salaries. So the PL will still have a good chance of getting players for next to nothing ahead of RM, Barca and Bayern.

The thing is are other clubs just stupid? There must be 100+ clubs across Europe who make money from buying cheap and selling high. Their whole business model is jepordised.

Last edited:
He and most of the people on this thread seem to have forgotten that tgere are squad size limitations in the plan - including players on loan. So the Chelsea and City academies rather loses their shine.
Big clubs jùst adopt the Bayern trick and get the best players from their competitors and wait for the players contract to wind down and get him for free.

I can't wait to see the face of Levi when Kane walks for nowt.

Can't believe people are ignoring this, even Samuel in his otherwise excellent article.

City and Chelsea have academies that are light years ahead of the opposition notably David Gill's project. Take a look at the all-conquering younger England teams almost exclusively City and Chelsea. We are scouting youngsters around the world, particularly South America busily mining what was previously the domain of continental clubs. They were never going to stand for it for long. There will be rules designed to stifle our emergence.

The second, in some ways linked, area they can do some real damage and unique to us is the group structure. There will be stricter rules governing, and probably penalising, transactions, particularly transfers, between group clubs. This would be to stop us doing Aaron Mooy type deals.

I have to say that I think that the cartel are reacting too late and that our thinking is well ahead of them so, in the next 5 years or so I expect to see increasingly noisy threats of a break away league. My guess is, however, that the pulling power of the rags, Madrid, Barca, Bayern and the Milan clubs is diminishing with the growing recognition that their status as historic giants is nothing more than a reflection of historical wealth. That impacts on the marketability of the "product".

Now here's a thought...

If FFP was designed as Martin Samuel says, amongst other things, to keep City from taking Man U's place at the table...

And FFP2.0 is now locking the 'as is' standings pretty much in stone...

If we consider the rags' current situation (last roll of the dice, lots of very big gambles on players and a proven volatile manager)...

Is this a tacit signal that they (UEFA) have abandoned the rags to the wind? (i.e. locked in the possibility that their gambles come unstuck leaving a need for huge further obscene investment in a major future overhaul - which would now be rendered impossible).

Of course, should the rags wither and fall out of the top table, presumably then they could blitz again as there would be no threat that year of penalty (not in the CL anyway).

Last edited:
We've got the 5th highest income of any club in the world, don't we?

I say bring on FFP 2.0. What have we got to worry about?

The worry is we have the financial muscle and the manager and squad to be an elite club, and FFP 2.0 is an attempt to stop us from spending on our targets.

Weren't complaining about it before their 'new money' were they? The penny has dropped now and they realize the drawbridge has been pulled up. If you're outside the elite now, you will never get in. The new problem now is that even the old established elite can't keep pace anymore. There just isn't the money in the Italian, German, or even to an extent the Spanish league. Nothing they have introduced is either fair or progressive, it's just all restrictive practice designed to hold us back.
Villa voted against FFP for the Prem.

Now here's a thought...

If FFP was designed as Martin Samuel says, amongst other things, to keep City from taking Man U's place at the table...

And FFP2.0 is now locking the 'as is' standings pretty much in stone...

If we consider the rags' current situation (last roll of the dice, lots of very big gambles on players and a proven volatile manager)...

Is this a tacit signal that they (UEFA) have abandoned the rags to the wind? (i.e. locked in the possibility that their gambles come unstuck leaving a need for huge further obscene investment in a major future overhaul - which would now be rendered impossible).

Of course, should the rags wither and fall out of the top table, presumably then they could blitz again as there would be no threat that year of penalty (not in the CL anyway).
What it will do is drive down the value of transfer fees for players getting toward the end of their contracts, but will drive up players wages where there will ne a bidding war. Sanchez's deal will seem small time
The real issue is that if the money is nearly all being spent on wages then that's even more money leaving the game
If there is a restriction on the number of academy players, our owner will build another in a different part of the world

lets see how this plays out. i get the feeling that they have limited ability to do much given EU law for anti competitive behaviour. I don't think that this time we will sit by and take things on the chin like we did previously when they hit us with FFP penalties, nor will PSG. There has been too much money invested for these clowns to chop and change things with a stroke of a pen just because it suits them. Next time round I doubt we'll be playing nice, I wouldn't rule out court action if they came at us a SECOND time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.