City Football Group (CFG) buy into Chinese club Sichuan Jiuniu FC (from Chengdu)

If they start messing about with us, I'm sure they could move the HQ to Abu Dhabi, or even China ?

It has nothing to do with UEFA though, the clubs that play football do because they have to (potentially) use UEFA competitions, but CFG is not a football team.

Still spectacularly missing the point mate.

Each to their own though, let’s move on.

Can we call the CFG a success??

Melbourne took over in 2014... after finishing 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th... then finished... 10th, 9th, 6th 8th.

New York City, started in 7th, then 2nd, then 4th...

Yokohama have dropped from 7th to 12th since our "input".

Melbourne took over in 2014... after finishing 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th... then finished... 10th, 9th, 6th 8th.

New York has been poor to be honest but has it been hard to get top players to go there recently? I mean they started with David villa, lampard and then pirlo?! Think at one point yaya had a contract offer as well. I personally think that the owner and khaldoon do these franchises to boost business behind the scenes and the football comes second. Having salary caps doesn’t help either but I agree that these sister clubs aren’t exactly thriving! Surely some talented youngsters would at least fancy New York?

Since takeover we have finished 5th 4th 4th and 3rd, which appears on face value as steadily improving, but each season we have been eliminated in the semifinals and once a week before in the Elimination final. You also need to factor in its a 10 team League and salary capped.

Off field our attendances are dropping, most notably this season. Our style of play is terrible and very unappealing. Our only saving grace has been our youth development and women's team but even those 2 have had poorer seasons.

By all metrics we are going backwards. The feeling I have in Melbourne is that CFG needs to sort out its existing clubs, mostly us and New York and lesser Yokohama before investing further.

Where is the City Group based? Pretty sure it’s in Europe. That gives them plenty of jurisdiction over how that business operates.

Mark my words mate.

I read this as “I love a conspiracy much more than international law”

Since takeover we have finished 5th 4th 4th and 3rd, which appears on face value as steadily improving, but each season we have been eliminated in the semifinals and once a week before in the Elimination final. You also need to factor in its a 10 team League and salary capped.

Off field our attendances are dropping, most notably this season. Our style of play is terrible and very unappealing. Our only saving grace has been our youth development and women's team but even those 2 have had poorer seasons.

By all metrics we are going backwards. The feeling I have in Melbourne is that CFG needs to sort out its existing clubs, mostly us and New York and lesser Yokohama before investing further.

I get the impression that the Aussie FA pissed off CFG and so they're not particularly incentivised to invest in a league they don't think really has the ambition to grow.

I get the impression that the Aussie FA pissed off CFG and so they're not particularly incentivised to invest in a league they don't think really has the ambition to grow.

That's very true. Several times rules have been changed, even mid season to limit CFG from dominating the League. CFG have also made some grosse errors all by themselves which hasn't helped.
The biggest error in my humble opinion is that our selection of the coach has been poor. Everything depends on what happens on the pitch and if you get the coach wrong your pretty much cooked. It's been 3 poor choices. JVS initially then Valkanis and now Joyce.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.