City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

Why do they need an emergency meeting. I thought the PL won the case!

Given the damning verdict, especially the three verdicts of unlawful and Tolmie saying the emails they had to hand over were pretty incriminating against them, I would think they'd be on damage limitation mode now. If I was them it would be along these lines:

"Given the recent verdict in the Manchester City case and the failings in our rules and the application of them, we have decided our other case against Manchester City will now no longer proceed.
Manchester City football club leave these proceedings without a stain on their character and we unreservedly apologise to their owners, chairman, manager, players and fans for any distress these proceedings have caused them."
Or words to that effect....

Yeah but it’s already £65m a year and we’ve only missed out on 2 years because of this rule. We won’t be able to claim the full 800 and then renew with Etihad a week later.

I guess where it’d get really interesting is if we said we couldn’t sign player X or had to sell player Y because we were missing the extra £15m a year….

But if the Etihad deal is now off the table then it could be for the full time period

Yeah but it’s already £65m a year and we’ve only missed out on 2 years because of this rule. We won’t be able to claim the full 800 and then renew with Etihad a week later.

I guess where it’d get really interesting is if we said we couldn’t sign player X or had to sell player Y because we were missing the extra £15m a year….
Isn’t there a rumoured two sponsorship deals ?

We can argue about whether city won or lost but I think it’s a solid position that the PL has suffered a very bad defeat.

A governing body being found by an independent tribunal to be attempting to introduce unlawful rules is disastrous no matter what other aspects they may have won (especially in the context of the email which shows the PL attempted to introduce these unlawful rules at the behest of certain other clubs in a targeted and malicious way)
"That’s what John Stuart Mill wrote about in On Liberty. The pursuit of majority interest at the expense of a minority faction. So when the PIF bought Newcastle in October 2021 and almost instantly the Premier League began adjusting its rulebook — an email on the subject to the league from a club official specifically mentioned “the Gulf region” and was dated October 12, five days after the takeover — that’s the tyranny of the majority in action. AKA: a carve-up.
And we later read that the panel believed this official when, as a witness, he or she insisted Gulf-owned clubs were not the target. They believed the assertion that this intervention could just as easily have been discussing an “American consortium who had links to lots of American companies”. Except there are already quite a few American consortiums with links to lots of American companies in the Premier League, and the email didn’t mention them. It referenced the Gulf. “The takeover of Newcastle United heightened . . . concerns again and encouraged the clubs to seek action,” the witness admitted. Even so, the same email would have been sent had the worry related to Americans. It’s just that it wasn’t. It was sent five days after a Saudi takeover."

That's from Samuel's piece in The Times today, has it ever been confirmed which club sent that email to the PL per chance?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.