City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

If we can get the Ade mystery sorted, we could finally lift the lid on a variety of City Cup for Cock up mysteries:

Kevin Horlocks aggressive walking
Jo
Dunneys own goal betting patterns
One goal in 5 months at home
Jo
PJS Attendance figures
Quinny playing for draw for AB
Jo
Not going for another goal against BM
Steve Coppell
Pearce missed penalty
Mark Halsey

Just a shame smart phones weren't around in them days m'lud.
Lee Bradbury and Gerry Creaney being fucking wank.

'Tyranny of the majority' was one of the original, 18th-century criticisms of democracy. As I have grown older, I have come to see what they meant. They were also concerned about the impact of demagogues inflaming the mob. Again, I have come to see what they meant.

Democracy only works properly when you consider the rights of the minority as well. But that's way too sophisticated for 2024.

The Premier League is basically an oligarchy, not a democracy. It is ruled by a small minority of uber-influential clubs backed by their lackeys, The interests of anyone else are ignored.

I doubt very much City are "challenging" the two-thirds rule. I think they are challenging the APT rules as onerous, discriminatory and unnecessary from a sporting viewpoint.

The reference to voting, I would imagine, is just to support the idea of discrimination. "Tyranny of the majority" after all is a construct in support of the rights of minorities (which is also enshrined in corporate law along with the idea of a two-thirds majority). I think the point is: when you have discriminatory rules, in a conspiratorial environment, the minorities lose out.

And I think City can prove that. I also think the email disclosure requirement will support it (especially as I think it is likely the club already has some incriminating correspondence). Whether that is enough to prove the rules are anti-competitive, we will have to wait and see.
Yes,the ‘Tyranny of the Majority’ refers to the APT amendment solely. The majority voted for a rule amendment which benefits themselves at the expense of just 2 clubs. This is an example of the statement.

'Tyranny of the majority' was one of the original, 18th-century criticisms of democracy. As I have grown older, I have come to see what they meant. They were also concerned about the impact of demagogues inflaming the mob. Again, I have come to see what they meant.

Democracy only works properly when you consider the rights of the minority as well. But that's way too sophisticated for 2024.

The Premier League is basically an oligarchy, not a democracy. It is ruled by a small minority of uber-influential clubs backed by their lackeys, The interests of anyone else are ignored.

My man.

There is no vote, of course, because it is in arbitration now. The only votes that matter are the three arbitrators.

But yes, if the February APT vote was held now, and those seven clubs voted against, it wouldn't pass.

This would suggest all votes should be re-held every summer to see what impact the relegated/promoted clubs have on the outcome.

Bet it doesn’t happen this way though.

Tyranny of the majority is from John Stuart Mill's work. You're right, in it's original conception it's about the point that "democracy" can still be a threat to "liberty" eg through majority groups voting to oppress opposition or minority groups. I'm surprised it's caused quite as big a drama as it has, I legitimately thought it was a well-known critique of lots of different structures. Was certainly used regularly in relation to the referendum and also in relation to emergent populisms around the world in the last decade. It maybe sounds grand to use about football, but whenever I've seen taught I've seen it used in relation to clubs.
No BB. it's not widely known and City dropped a clanger allowing this phrase to be used.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.