City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

I've no doubt that there are current prospective US based owners out there with dollar signs in their eyes at the thought of a Premier League 'franchise' system.
Some time ago a few pundits were speculating the the ‘Arab Cartel’ would act together and that was bad for football. But American redshirts, that’s ok.

Yes but Alexis De Tocqueville first used it, in a study of American democracy published in 1835.

Not only do you have to be an expert on subjects such law, accounting, geopolitics and history to be a City fan these days, you also have to be a philosopher.

Descartes said "I think, therefore I am". He might have amended that these days to "I can't think, therefore I am a red-shirt fan".
Actually Descartes originally wrote 'je pense, donc je suis' and later used the Latin equivalent. Descartes didn't speak English.

Some time ago a few pundits were speculating the the ‘Arab Cartel’ would act together and that was bad for football. But American redshirts, that’s ok.
If Leeds and Burnley hadn’t been relegated, I think we would be looking at 13 American owned Clubs. Obviously, 2 Clubs with Arab owners are bigger threats!!

No BB. it's not widely known and City dropped a clanger allowing this phrase to be used.

I'd agree that it is not widely known. I would also suggest that many of those who do know of it, do not understand it.

An issue is that the use of the word 'tyranny' may come across as aggressive to some. This is because Mill philosophy is focused heavily on individual freedom. To be fair, this kind of language has often been used in political philosophy for more than 2,000 years.

Tyranny of the majority cannot be summarised as being 'mob rule' or 'dissatisfaction with majority rule'. It is more nuanced than that. Rather, it is multi faceted. It's about protecting individual freedom, autonomy and dissenting viewpoints, and the need to have some balance between individual freedom and collective welfare 'harm principle'. To be honest, that explanation does not do it justice.

The use of the term is unlikely to be simply about, "we don't like majority rule".
Based on the facts that I knowing nothing about our submission and very little about our grievance, I would guess that tyranny of the majority is referenced because we are more widely dissatisfied with governance process.

You cannot have a media manager go through the submission and click on the thesauras function and change the word 'tyranny' as that would lead to a different meaning altogether. Our submission was likely put together by an experienced KC. Having dealt with QCs/KCs over the years, who are most likely not as good as those commissioned by the club, I would trust the reasoning behind the use of the phrase.

One assumes legal process will be followed, and that documents won't be leaked. The phrase was used to make an important point in a case being discussed by lawyers. Our whole legal case is written by lawyers for lawyers. Are you saying the case should have been dumbed down, just on the off chance that it might somehow end up in the public domain?
You are correct of course but the reality is that virtually anything related to City has been leaked over the last decade by people who want to damage our club. The lawyers do need to take account of the risks involved. None of us have seen the entire document and context is everything. The media have reported a very biased and distorted version of our case. There has been no attempt at fairness and balance.

You are correct of course but the reality is that virtually anything related to City has been leaked over the last decade by people who want to damage our club. The lawyers do need to take account of the risks involved. None of us have seen the entire document and context is everything. The media have reported a very biased and distorted version of our case. There has been no attempt at fairness and balance.
Nothing new there but we can’t let this be a decisive factor in our defence. We have to go for it using everything we can. Hopefully our case will include the highlighting of the leaks & in the 115 hearing, can be a valid reason for any non cooperation

I'd agree that it is not widely known. I would also suggest that many of those who do know of it, do not understand it.

An issue is that the use of the word 'tyranny' may come across as aggressive to some. This is because Mill philosophy is focused heavily on individual freedom. To be fair, this kind of language has often been used in political philosophy for more than 2,000 years.

Tyranny of the majority cannot be summarised as being 'mob rule' or 'dissatisfaction with majority rule'. It is more nuanced than that. Rather, it is multi faceted. It's about protecting individual freedom, autonomy and dissenting viewpoints, and the need to have some balance between individual freedom and collective welfare 'harm principle'. To be honest, that explanation does not do it justice.

The use of the term is unlikely to be simply about, "we don't like majority rule".
Based on the facts that I knowing nothing about our submission and very little about our grievance, I would guess that tyranny of the majority is referenced because we are more widely dissatisfied with governance process.

You cannot have a media manager go through the submission and click on the thesauras function and change the word 'tyranny' as that would lead to a different meaning altogether. Our submission was likely put together by an experienced KC. Having dealt with QCs/KCs over the years, who are most likely not as good as those commissioned by the club, I would trust the reasoning behind the use of the phrase.
Thanks Manc in London. I thought it would be more nuanced, especially when considered alongside the Prem’s two thirds voting requirement. Otherwise the corollary would be, for example, people continuing to anrgue about Brexit even if two thirds of voters had asked to leave. (I voted remain btw before this starts a riot lol).

I’ve also worked with some of the top chambers in the Country, in a previous working life, and the Barristers may well have tweaked the odd phrase rather than getting battered by the Court of Public Opinion. I hope I’m wrong and that this phrase (possible argument depending on the text) is a winner for the Blues.

A Footballing Philosophy:
Protagoras……….”Man is the measure of all things”
The PL……”Whatever we say is the absolute truth”
Hesiod……”Moderation in all things is best.”
The PL……”We love being extreme”
Shakespeare…”Neither a borrower nor a lender be.”
The PL………….”Borrow as much as you like. Debt is good.”
Wittgenstein......"Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language".
Barney Ronay....."Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.