City launch MLS Franchise

rickmcfc said:
I thought that an owner could only have one football club in his name?

Presume because there is no direct conflict of interest (not part of uefa) it is okay.

The blue moon continues to rise in Manchester and NYC :@) .... Roll on the new English Premier League season can't wait to do it all again!

rickmcfc said:

Udinese owner is owner of Watford and Granada. Owning clubs in USA and Europe isn't something I see any problems with but Udinese and Granada could theoretically play against each other in Europe and I definitely don't see why it's allowed.

How big is the station my American friends ??

New York City FC matches televised on YES Network? Yankees ownership stake will bring synergies

One of the most intriguing aspects of Tuesday's MLS expansion announcement unveiling New York City FC as the league's 20th team is the involvement of baseball's New York Yankees.

As minority owners alongside English Premier League giants Manchester City, the Yankees will be aiming to leverage their resources to help NYCFC become an MLS force. And that could very well include the baseball team's YES Network and Yankee Stadium.

LEVINE ON NYCFC: "Everything Yankees do has to be world-championship caliber"

"I think there's going to be a lot of synergies," Yankees president Randy Levine said in a Tuesday media teleconference call. "Obviously, we're here [in New York] and we have a network [YES Network]. We haven't even gotten into it, but maybe New York City Football Club is on the YES network.

"We know how to operate a franchise in this area. We know how to market and gain sponsors. I'm sure there'll be an opportunity between Manchester City sponsors to possibly do some cross-pollination. I think it's great."

The YES Network will be televising Wednesday's press conference formally unveiling the club live at 10 a.m. ET. Media personality Michael Kay will host the coverage on-site.

Levine also confirmed that Yankee Stadium "is a possibility" when it comes to a temporary home for NYCFC ahead of its first season in MLS in 2015.

GUIDE TO MLS: Everything Yankees fans need to know about MLS

But why would a professional baseball team go out of its way to invest in soccer, seen by many to be a direct competitor of baseball's?

"Because I think that we look at good opportunities and we look at wise investments and I think this is a very solid opportunity and a very wise investment," Levine replied to the question.

"And we feel very secure that the New York Yankees will always be successful and will always be championship-caliber," continued Levine. "And we're not insecure about it. We think we can bring that same passion that Manchester City has at winning to do it well in both sports."

MSP said:
rickmcfc said:

Udinese owner is owner of Watford and Granada. Owning clubs in USA and Europe isn't something I see any problems with but Udinese and Granada could theoretically play against each other in Europe and I definitely don't see why it's allowed.

red bull own 5 clubs New York,Saltzberg,Leipzig,1 in Brazil and 1 in Ghana

One other big point, is that both MLB and MLS enjoy single-entity legal status in the USA, which means they have both been ruled in favor of and upheld numerous times against antitrust cases. The NFL, NHL and NBA do not enjoy the benefits of that status.

The involvement of a MLB franchise can help City navigate how best to capitalize on that.

The owners are certainly adept at courting publicity and the 'brand' is certainly receiving the worldwide exposure required; and who can complain? Investment galore on both sides of the Atlantic with perhaps the opportunity for us to use the US side of the operation to bypass UEFA FFPR?

Could potentially burdensome player salary budgets and transfer fee costs required for European competitiveness both be 'subsidised' by NYCFC by for example (joint) player acquisitions and ownership with players and contracts shared by loaned arrangements each way between MCFC and NYCFC to achieve the same 'dilution' of costs?

Of course that's assuming that the European 'project' remains the focus of the owners intentions. I hope so.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.