City launch MLS Franchise

oakiecokie said:
How big is the station my American friends ??

New York City FC matches televised on YES Network? Yankees ownership stake will bring synergies

One of the most intriguing aspects of Tuesday's MLS expansion announcement unveiling New York City FC as the league's 20th team is the involvement of baseball's New York Yankees.

As minority owners alongside English Premier League giants Manchester City, the Yankees will be aiming to leverage their resources to help NYCFC become an MLS force. And that could very well include the baseball team's YES Network and Yankee Stadium.

LEVINE ON NYCFC: "Everything Yankees do has to be world-championship caliber"

"I think there's going to be a lot of synergies," Yankees president Randy Levine said in a Tuesday media teleconference call. "Obviously, we're here [in New York] and we have a network [YES Network]. We haven't even gotten into it, but maybe New York City Football Club is on the YES network.

"We know how to operate a franchise in this area. We know how to market and gain sponsors. I'm sure there'll be an opportunity between Manchester City sponsors to possibly do some cross-pollination. I think it's great."

The YES Network will be televising Wednesday's press conference formally unveiling the club live at 10 a.m. ET. Media personality Michael Kay will host the coverage on-site.

Levine also confirmed that Yankee Stadium "is a possibility" when it comes to a temporary home for NYCFC ahead of its first season in MLS in 2015.

GUIDE TO MLS: Everything Yankees fans need to know about MLS

But why would a professional baseball team go out of its way to invest in soccer, seen by many to be a direct competitor of baseball's?

"Because I think that we look at good opportunities and we look at wise investments and I think this is a very solid opportunity and a very wise investment," Levine replied to the question.

"And we feel very secure that the New York Yankees will always be successful and will always be championship-caliber," continued Levine. "And we're not insecure about it. We think we can bring that same passion that Manchester City has at winning to do it well in both sports."
My understanding is the revenues generated by the television network pays the Yankee players salaries and some. Baseball players make a LOT of money.

taconinja said:
oakiecokie said:
How big is the station my American friends ??

New York City FC matches televised on YES Network? Yankees ownership stake will bring synergies

One of the most intriguing aspects of Tuesday's MLS expansion announcement unveiling New York City FC as the league's 20th team is the involvement of baseball's New York Yankees.

As minority owners alongside English Premier League giants Manchester City, the Yankees will be aiming to leverage their resources to help NYCFC become an MLS force. And that could very well include the baseball team's YES Network and Yankee Stadium.

LEVINE ON NYCFC: "Everything Yankees do has to be world-championship caliber"

"I think there's going to be a lot of synergies," Yankees president Randy Levine said in a Tuesday media teleconference call. "Obviously, we're here [in New York] and we have a network [YES Network]. We haven't even gotten into it, but maybe New York City Football Club is on the YES network.

"We know how to operate a franchise in this area. We know how to market and gain sponsors. I'm sure there'll be an opportunity between Manchester City sponsors to possibly do some cross-pollination. I think it's great."

The YES Network will be televising Wednesday's press conference formally unveiling the club live at 10 a.m. ET. Media personality Michael Kay will host the coverage on-site.

Levine also confirmed that Yankee Stadium "is a possibility" when it comes to a temporary home for NYCFC ahead of its first season in MLS in 2015.

GUIDE TO MLS: Everything Yankees fans need to know about MLS

But why would a professional baseball team go out of its way to invest in soccer, seen by many to be a direct competitor of baseball's?

"Because I think that we look at good opportunities and we look at wise investments and I think this is a very solid opportunity and a very wise investment," Levine replied to the question.

"And we feel very secure that the New York Yankees will always be successful and will always be championship-caliber," continued Levine. "And we're not insecure about it. We think we can bring that same passion that Manchester City has at winning to do it well in both sports."
My understanding is the revenues generated by the television network pays the Yankee players salaries and some. Baseball players make a LOT of money.

Just wondered how far the TV Company reached out ref audience figures,or whether it was more like a local TV one.

YES Network is standard in the NY Metro Area and available in most other locations as part of a sports tier package. However, the MLB and NBA games are blacked out unless you live within the defined New York viewing area. I have no idea how this would affect MLS games, though.

Put it like this. In 2012 49% of yes was acquired for 1.6 billion thats about half of what rags or RM are worth. Exposure with the yankees will be beneficial seeing as they are the biggest team in the united states and a worldwide audience watching them on the yes network.

Draken said:
few years ago the scum were jumping into bed with the new york yankees now its our turn I guess how times have changed .
<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/898790-10-reasons-why-manchester-united-are-the-new-york-yankees-of-world-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8987 ... d-football</a>

wrong mate the yankees are jumping into bed with us,we have the majority ownership

marco said:
Draken said:
few years ago the scum were jumping into bed with the new york yankees now its our turn I guess how times have changed .
<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/898790-10-reasons-why-manchester-united-are-the-new-york-yankees-of-world-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8987 ... d-football</a>

wrong mate the yankees are jumping into bed with us,we have the majority ownership

whatever ,not really that bothered to be honest, just wonder how it will go down putting a franchise associated with the hated New York Yankees in a mainly New York Mets fans stronghold,different sports obviously,but i'd imagine there might be some early friction after year one where they play in yankee stadium then move to new stadium in Long island . I know I wouldnt be too happy if Man Yoo started a new baseball franchise and built a new stadium beside the etihad maybe its just me over thinking things cause I hate the yankees and of course that lot from stretford
article-2328496-19EA176A000005DC-929_634x460.jpg

yep, as I wrote earlier..

That's the one of risky things with this deal. Lot of potential fans for City might be lost with connection with Yankees as obviously lot of Americans hate them. Some will be lost to as City will be associated with new club and that won't go nice with fans of other mls clubs.

But I guess all projections about this are made and it's concluded that risk is worthy one.

But surely NYCFC will have loads of haters in USA now, lol, just as City does. Imagine all those ManYoo Yanks when NYCFC comes to their place, lol, they'll sing more songs about United and City than about their club.

Good article by James Ducker @ thetimes.co.uk ...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/manchestercity/article3771468.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/foo ... 771468.ece</a>

128580734_hart_415542c.jpg

Picture the scene a few years from now: a New York City football team playing in the sky blue of Manchester City with one of the potential stars of the Barclays Premier League club’s ambitious academy project running the midfield.

Or how about the New York Yankees baseball team pitching up at the Etihad Stadium to play a regular-season Major League Baseball game in much the same way as American football has set up camp in London in recent years?

None of these ideas is set in stone, of course, but nor were they dismissed yesterday as City, Major League Soccer and the Yankees announced a pioneering deal to create an MLS franchise in New York in time for the start of the 2015-16 season, the commercial opportunities and crossover appeal of which may, in time, come to have a landmark effect.

It is, in the words of Don Garber, the MLS commissioner, a “transformational move”. Sure, there are already figures with stakes in both Barclays Premier League and MLS clubs — think Stan Kroenke, the largest shareholder at Arsenal and also owner of the Colorado Rapids football team. But the idea of a Premier League club in effect creating a mini version of themselves in another country that also happens to be the world’s most lucrative sports market, represents an ambitious and exciting first for European football.

Ferran Soriano, the City chief executive, initially struck upon this idea during his time as a marketing executive with Barcelona but felt that, with a pre-David Beckham MLS still finding its feet, the time was not right for such a tie-in. Eight years on, with MLS boasting the third-highest attendances in United States sport after American football and baseball, attracting a host of blue-chip companies from Pepsi to Microsoft as sponsors and making huge strides in its bid to become “one of the world’s top football leagues” over the next decade, Soriano no longer harboured such doubts.

A driving force behind City’s latest statement of intent, the Spaniard had already been in talks for months with the club’s Abu Dhabi owners about creating an MLS franchise before he formally began work at the Premier League club in September last year. Nine months on, that vision has been realised, although it is the involvement of the Yankees, who will have about a quarter stake in New York City FC, that could prove the game-changer and ensure that this partnership does not end up the way of their previous unsuccessful tie-in with a Manchester club — United — in 2001.

Since Sheikh Mansour bought City in 2008, the club have embarked on a series of commercial and community projects in the US, but this latest development could give them a footing and profile previously unimaginable.

The next two years, as City and the Yankees work together to ensure the fledgeling team are in place by April 2015, are certain to be intriguing.

Soriano will oversee the appointment of a director of football, coach and staff with offices due to be set up in New York, while the Yankees will have a role to play in the creation of a new stadium, the preferred site for which is Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens, near the home of the New York Mets baseball team.

That process may not be without its obstacles; local residents and politicians have already registered their opposition because of the human rights record of Abu Dhabi, whose ruling family own City, but where there is a will there tends to be a way.

Under MLS rules, clubs are allowed to make three marquee overseas signings outside their wage cap, so just as Beckham’s arrival at the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2007 helped to put football in the US on the map, there is every possibility that a New York City team under City ownership could boast some of the most recognisable names in world football.

TCIB said:
Good article by James Ducker @ thetimes.co.uk ...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/manchestercity/article3771468.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/foo ... 771468.ece</a>

128580734_hart_415542c.jpg

Picture the scene a few years from now: a New York City football team playing in the sky blue of Manchester City with one of the potential stars of the Barclays Premier League club’s ambitious academy project running the midfield.

Or how about the New York Yankees baseball team pitching up at the Etihad Stadium to play a regular-season Major League Baseball game in much the same way as American football has set up camp in London in recent years?

None of these ideas is set in stone, of course, but nor were they dismissed yesterday as City, Major League Soccer and the Yankees announced a pioneering deal to create an MLS franchise in New York in time for the start of the 2015-16 season, the commercial opportunities and crossover appeal of which may, in time, come to have a landmark effect.

It is, in the words of Don Garber, the MLS commissioner, a “transformational move”. Sure, there are already figures with stakes in both Barclays Premier League and MLS clubs — think Stan Kroenke, the largest shareholder at Arsenal and also owner of the Colorado Rapids football team. But the idea of a Premier League club in effect creating a mini version of themselves in another country that also happens to be the world’s most lucrative sports market, represents an ambitious and exciting first for European football.

Ferran Soriano, the City chief executive, initially struck upon this idea during his time as a marketing executive with Barcelona but felt that, with a pre-David Beckham MLS still finding its feet, the time was not right for such a tie-in. Eight years on, with MLS boasting the third-highest attendances in United States sport after American football and baseball, attracting a host of blue-chip companies from Pepsi to Microsoft as sponsors and making huge strides in its bid to become “one of the world’s top football leagues” over the next decade, Soriano no longer harboured such doubts.

A driving force behind City’s latest statement of intent, the Spaniard had already been in talks for months with the club’s Abu Dhabi owners about creating an MLS franchise before he formally began work at the Premier League club in September last year. Nine months on, that vision has been realised, although it is the involvement of the Yankees, who will have about a quarter stake in New York City FC, that could prove the game-changer and ensure that this partnership does not end up the way of their previous unsuccessful tie-in with a Manchester club — United — in 2001.

Since Sheikh Mansour bought City in 2008, the club have embarked on a series of commercial and community projects in the US, but this latest development could give them a footing and profile previously unimaginable.

The next two years, as City and the Yankees work together to ensure the fledgeling team are in place by April 2015, are certain to be intriguing.

Soriano will oversee the appointment of a director of football, coach and staff with offices due to be set up in New York, while the Yankees will have a role to play in the creation of a new stadium, the preferred site for which is Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens, near the home of the New York Mets baseball team.

That process may not be without its obstacles; local residents and politicians have already registered their opposition because of the human rights record of Abu Dhabi, whose ruling family own City, but where there is a will there tends to be a way.

Under MLS rules, clubs are allowed to make three marquee overseas signings outside their wage cap, so just as Beckham’s arrival at the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2007 helped to put football in the US on the map, there is every possibility that a New York City team under City ownership could boast some of the most recognisable names in world football.

And that, Daily Mirror,is how to write an article in a positive manner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.