City launch MLS Franchise

This is fucking huge!
What a master stroke by our owner and executives.

Good luck to our sibling in the States!

MSP said:
Almost 11k followers already

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/nycfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/nycfc</a>

Over 1.2% of the following both the MCFC twitter, and NYY twitter feeds have, after one day. Impressive figures to get the ball rolling, and its very important to have a very big social media presence between now and 2015 when the football club is actually in action.

Press release from today:

New York City Football Club Names Claudio Reyna Director of Football

Former Manchester City F C and US National Team Captain to build team organization

New York City FC to begin MLS play in 2015 as the league’s 20th team

New York, May 22nd 2013 – New York City Football Club (New York City FC) has named Claudio Reyna as the club’s Director of Football and its first employee. Reyna will be responsible for building the soccer elements of the New York City FC organization, including the recruitment of players, coaches and trainers, and other support staff, in preparation for the team’s inaugural MLS season in 2015.
The announcement took place at PS 72 (Lexington Academy) in East Harlem, which boasts New York City’s only rooftop soccer field and was donated by Manchester City Football Club in 2010. This facility provides quality soccer instruction and programming to thousands of children in 20 NYC public schools each year.
New York City FC, the Major League Soccer (MLS) expansion team was unveiled yesterday as part of a partnership of global sports powers -- Manchester City FC and the New York Yankees. The Club will become MLS’s 20th team. In announcing the appointment of Reyna, Ferran Soriano, CEO of Manchester City, noted Reyna’s significant contributions to soccer in the US – both as a player and as the Youth Technical Director of the US Soccer Federation.
“Finding the right person for this role and getting him in place from the start was a priority,” said Soriano. “The football culture of New York City FC will be built from this decision, and we believe Claudio is the man who uniquely understands what New York soccer should mean, and how it can benefit from the relationship with Manchester City FC.”
“Having had the privilege of playing both for my country here in the US and for Manchester City FC in England, I could not have hoped for a more tailored-made opportunity in soccer,” said Reyna. “I am incredibly excited to again wear City’s ‘Sky Blue’ as part of the expansion of the MLS and the growth of soccer in the United States, and am honored to have been offered this opportunity. With a large fan base through the New York area, prime television rights and distribution, sponsorship commitments, and the Yankees as a US partner, the New York City Football Club has everything in place to succeed.”
New York City FC will be an independent club that mirrors and benefits from its relationship with Manchester City Football Club, allowing both organizations to collaborate on community programs and other team aspects, such as global youth development and scouting, coaching, sports science and first team football operations. In that regard, Reyna will work closely with Manchester City’s Brian Marwood, Managing Director of City Football Academy, Txiki Begiristain, Director of Football, and World Cup Winner Patrick Vieira, Head of Elite Development Squad, as the New York City FC organisation takes shape, and operating philosophy takes hold.
Reyna had an illustrious professional career having played in Europe and the US for more than 12 years, including at Manchester City FC from 2003-2007. He represented the United States National team in four World Cups from 1994 through 2006 and was team Captain in 2002 and 2006. He is also a two-time Olympian. Since 2010 Reyna has served as the US Soccer Federation’s Youth Technical Director.
About NYCFC
New York City Football Club was recently announced as Major League Soccer’s 20th team, and will begin league play in 2015. NYCFC is owned by a joint partnership with English Premier League Manchester City Football Club and the New York Yankees.
About Manchester City Football Club
Since new ownership took over five years ago, Manchester City has gained its place as one of England’s most successful football clubs and one of the fastest growing clubs in the world, on and off the field. Last spring, Manchester City won the 2012 Barclay’s Premier League Championship. This year it finished second in the League and was the FA Cup runner up. Manchester City FC is wholly owned by the Abu Dhabi United Group. New York Yankees

Established in 1903, the New York Yankees are Major League Baseball's most storied franchise with 27 World Championships and 40 American League pennants.

“City Soccer in the Community”: NYC FC’s Commitment to Youth Soccer in NYC
Manchester City is a leader among sports organizations in its charitable efforts, with one-sixth of its staff fully dedicated full-time to community outreach. Building on this tradition of community outreach, New York City FC will expand and enhance the grassroots youth soccer program “City Soccer in the Community,” which it has been running in New York since 2010. The program, now headquartered at PS 72 (Lexington Academy) in East Harlem, which boasts New York City’s only rooftop soccer field, provides quality soccer instruction and programming to thousands of children in 20 NYC public schools each year. New York City FC looks forward to expanding its community outreach to bring soccer to thousands of more kids throughout the five boroughs.
Manchester City has funded the construction of soccer facilities for youth in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami and Washington D.C. For more on City Soccer, click here. In addition, the “City in the Community,” foundation focuses on similar initiatives worldwide.
About Major League Soccer

Headquartered in New York City, Major League Soccer is the top-flight professional soccer league in the United States and Canada. MLS features many stars from the U.S., Canada, and around the world.

It's the youth aspect that makes this such a great deal. They have been involved for several years with the youth in NYC before the MLS club existed.

Now, they will hopefully have a positive influence on the entire lives of these children.

Additionally, I expect that over the next 20 years, there will be an explosion of American soccer talent, and a fair amount of it will come from impoverished inner-city initiatives like that which City has launched in Harlem.

NYCBlue said:
You know what guys, first post and first time reading this forum, I have to say well done. I've taken a look at some other club forums for curiosity's sake like Redcafe (which was riddled with ignorance) and some Spurs forums to track what people thought of Dempsey (horrific fans, and no independent thinkers with different opinions) and I've read through this thread and a few others and like what I see. Fair and balanced and the right amount of curiosity and comedy.

Except this guy.
Frank the Yank said:
Football will NEVER be a major sport here in the US of A. It gets followed closely once every four years. The National Team make the World Cup every four years because CONCACAF is so weak.

If the MLS played in my back garden, I would draw the curtains. The proposed stadium is about 10 minutes from my flat. I guess if City would loan out some promising youngster, I would mosey on over for a game or two. If it werent for Citys involvement, I wouldnt be bothered. There is local opposition to the building of that new stadium. I would say if Mayor Bloomberg really wanted it, it would go thru but Bloomy is on his way out. After 20 years of good leadership under Mayors Guiliani and Bloomberg, the next Mayor will be an absolute muppet.

As a long suffering Mets fan, I am not impressed with Citys involvement with the Yankees....
With your use of unnecessary UK lingo and horrible views about American soccer, you sound like the type of douchebag that wears fedoras unironically, and go on about how you go watch the footy down at the pub to a thoroughly uninterested group of acquaintances, trying to be some kind of Green Street caricature.If you're really American, take a look at yourself. I hope you didn't root for us during the World Cup either with that kind of talk about MLS and the Nats.

But that's not a way to make friends here is it!

MSP said:
yep, as I wrote earlier..

That's the one of risky things with this deal. Lot of potential fans for City might be lost with connection with Yankees as obviously lot of Americans hate them. Some will be lost to as City will be associated with new club and that won't go nice with fans of other mls clubs.

But I guess all projections about this are made and it's concluded that risk is worthy one.

But surely NYCFC will have loads of haters in USA now, lol, just as City does. Imagine all those ManYoo Yanks when NYCFC comes to their place, lol, they'll sing more songs about United and City than about their club.

A New York team will be hated no matter what. Superior resources, a league always trying to make them into a 'superclub' and arrogant fans. I just never thought I'd see the day when the hated Red Bulls would instantly become an underdog.

As for fans being lost because of any affiliation with City/Yankees, it's nonsense. The type of untapped market here are people who couldn't be bothered to travel to Jersey every other week that are already soccer fans. So that's quite a few. Not to mention the location itself which is in the heart of a strong Hispanic area, along with the Euro descendants in Western Queens and the white public out on Long Island.

Anyone who says "I'm not supporting NYCFC because I'm a Mets/Man United" fan is a fool, because they cannot differentiate between different philosophies, and that's not the type of casual fan that's going to build a fanbase anyway. Plus, even typical Americans who know a bit about the game know Manchester United "fans" are jokes. But we do have the 'support your team at home, support a European team' thing going on, so whatever...

Listen pal, iI probably have been supporting City longer than you have been alive. How old are you?? How many times have you heard that football is the next big thing in the US of A.

In your first post you have the temerity to attack me a call me a douchebag. Take a real, hard look at yourself. How many times have you stood on The Kippax?? how many derbies have you been to??

I still dont think all this will amount to a hill of beans. The only good thing I can see is if we"loan out" mostly young players to get to trainn with a first team regularly and get some experience. Lets face it, the standard of football in the MLS stinks compared to the top European Leagues.

I want to see what kind of ratings NBC gets and I am interested in seeing what kind of rating Fox will get for the Chimps League final.

NYCBlue said:
You know what guys, first post and first time reading this forum, I have to say well done. I've taken a look at some other club forums for curiosity's sake like Redcafe (which was riddled with ignorance) and some Spurs forums to track what people thought of Dempsey (horrific fans, and no independent thinkers with different opinions) and I've read through this thread and a few others and like what I see. Fair and balanced and the right amount of curiosity and comedy.

Except this guy.
Frank the Yank said:
Football will NEVER be a major sport here in the US of A. It gets followed closely once every four years. The National Team make the World Cup every four years because CONCACAF is so weak.

If the MLS played in my back garden, I would draw the curtains. The proposed stadium is about 10 minutes from my flat. I guess if City would loan out some promising youngster, I would mosey on over for a game or two. If it werent for Citys involvement, I wouldnt be bothered. There is local opposition to the building of that new stadium. I would say if Mayor Bloomberg really wanted it, it would go thru but Bloomy is on his way out. After 20 years of good leadership under Mayors Guiliani and Bloomberg, the next Mayor will be an absolute muppet.

As a long suffering Mets fan, I am not impressed with Citys involvement with the Yankees....
With your use of unnecessary UK lingo and horrible views about American soccer, you sound like the type of douchebag that wears fedoras unironically, and go on about how you go watch the footy down at the pub to a thoroughly uninterested group of acquaintances, trying to be some kind of Green Street caricature.If you're really American, take a look at yourself. I hope you didn't root for us during the World Cup either with that kind of talk about MLS and the Nats.

MSP said:

That's the one of risky things with this deal. Lot of potential fans for City might be lost with connection with Yankees as obviously lot of Americans hate them. Some will be lost to as City will be associated with new club and that won't go nice with fans of other mls clubs.

But I guess all projections about this are made and it's concluded that risk is worthy one.

But surely NYCFC will have loads of haters in USA now, lol, just as City does. Imagine all those ManYoo Yanks when NYCFC comes to their place, lol, they'll sing more songs about United and City than about their club.

A New York team will be hated no matter what. Superior resources, a league always trying to make them into a 'superclub' and arrogant fans. I just never thought I'd see the day when the hated Red Bulls would instantly become an underdog.

As for fans being lost because of any affiliation with City/Yankees, it's nonsense. The type of untapped market here are people who couldn't be bothered to travel to Jersey every other week that are already soccer fans. So that's quite a few. Not to mention the location itself which is in the heart of a strong Hispanic area, along with the Euro descendants in Western Queens and the white public out on Long Island.

Anyone who says "I'm not supporting NYCFC because I'm a Mets/Man United" fan is a fool, because they cannot differentiate between different philosophies, and that's not the type of casual fan that's going to build a fanbase anyway. Plus, even typical Americans who know a bit about the game know Manchester United "fans" are jokes. But we do have the 'support your team at home, support a European team' thing going on, so whatever...

.....and oh yeah I just happened to be the 2nd ever poster on this forum. I was there when we were shit. I did get to see Barry Conlons debut.....<br /><br />-- Wed May 22, 2013 10:36 am --<br /><br />
cibaman said:
TCIB said:
oakiecokie said:
And that, Daily Mirror,is how to write an article in a positive manner.

Yep, you don't have to be starfish sucking but looking on the half full side.
The article offers fair insight into why now is the time to strike so to speak.

Ok James i can say i am enjoying my times subscription now :)
Not looking for arse licking but it is nice to see more than the pitfalls and warped interpretations of how we are run/operate printed in the negative constantly.

Informative and fair, words rarely attributed to printed media for many years if at all in the general sense.
We knock the reporters enough so give em credit when they do the job in essence they are paid for well.

Cant see the Yankees playing at the Etihad. Didn't think the pitch is big enough for baseball?

Its not NEARLY big enough. Whoever suggested that was either a total fool or taking the piss.....

Frank the Yank said:
NYCBlue said:

Except this guy.
Frank the Yank said:

MSP said:

.....and oh yeah I just happened to be the 2nd ever poster on this forum. I was there when we were shit. I did get to see Barry Conlons debut.....

-- Wed May 22, 2013 10:36 am --

cibaman said:
TCIB said:
Yep, you don't have to be starfish sucking but looking on the half full side.
The article offers fair insight into why now is the time to strike so to speak.

Ok James i can say i am enjoying my times subscription now :)
Not looking for arse licking but it is nice to see more than the pitfalls and warped interpretations of how we are run/operate printed in the negative constantly.

Informative and fair, words rarely attributed to printed media for many years if at all in the general sense.
We knock the reporters enough so give em credit when they do the job in essence they are paid for well.

Cant see the Yankees playing at the Etihad. Didn't think the pitch is big enough for baseball?

Its not NEARLY big enough. Whoever suggested that was either a total fool or taking the piss.....

lol,i'm sure it said in the mirror or sun quote 'yankees to play at etihad'

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.