City launch MLS Franchise

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/sports/soccer/manchester-city-and-yankees-to-own-mls-franchise-in-new-york.html?ref=sports&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/sport ... ports&_r=0</a>

View from across the pond

EDIT: The general consensus in the comments section seems to be very positive, the odd gripe aside. People want the stadium in central New York though and think the rivalry will help the Red Bull team.

john@staustell said:
Surely someone must like the Yankees?

They do. It's more of an empty hate or "love to hate" than an actual hate.

I am a Chicago Cubs fan (haven't won twat since 1908). I have no problem with the Yankees. Their current manager Joe Girardi is one of my favorite players of all-time.

I do think the comparison to Man U. and the Yankees is the most accurate one (especially since their ascensions both occurred in the mid-90's), although the rags and ignorant American media have done well enough to shape it so that City is portrayed in that fashion.

Nevertheless, this is a great move for City and especially MLS. The American league has had a tremendous period of growth in financial viability and attendance over the past few seasons, although this year will probably see a hopefully temporary halt to that.

In terms of American sports leagues, MLS surpassed the NHL in average attendance last year, and will undoubtedly surpass the NBA within the next 5. One major reason is those leagues may play 2-3 weeknight games.

tregyblue61 said:
ZabbaStuntDouble said:
I can announce here .... that i'm honoured to be the designer of the NYCFC crest ...

only kidding ......... but you know i had to do something .... no one else has done them a crest yet ....

c1ty.jpg

"City, City the best team in New York and Manchester".................

Yeah but... only TWO rivers in NY isn't there

NYCBlue said:
You know what guys, first post and first time reading this forum, I have to say well done. I've taken a look at some other club forums for curiosity's sake like Redcafe (which was riddled with ignorance) and some Spurs forums to track what people thought of Dempsey (horrific fans, and no independent thinkers with different opinions) and I've read through this thread and a few others and like what I see. Fair and balanced and the right amount of curiosity and comedy.

Except this guy.
Frank the Yank said:
Football will NEVER be a major sport here in the US of A. It gets followed closely once every four years. The National Team make the World Cup every four years because CONCACAF is so weak.

If the MLS played in my back garden, I would draw the curtains. The proposed stadium is about 10 minutes from my flat. I guess if City would loan out some promising youngster, I would mosey on over for a game or two. If it werent for Citys involvement, I wouldnt be bothered. There is local opposition to the building of that new stadium. I would say if Mayor Bloomberg really wanted it, it would go thru but Bloomy is on his way out. After 20 years of good leadership under Mayors Guiliani and Bloomberg, the next Mayor will be an absolute muppet.

As a long suffering Mets fan, I am not impressed with Citys involvement with the Yankees....
With your use of unnecessary UK lingo and horrible views about American soccer, you sound like the type of douchebag that wears fedoras unironically, and go on about how you go watch the footy down at the pub to a thoroughly uninterested group of acquaintances, trying to be some kind of Green Street caricature.If you're really American, take a look at yourself. I hope you didn't root for us during the World Cup either with that kind of talk about MLS and the Nats.

But that's not a way to make friends here is it!

MSP said:
yep, as I wrote earlier..

That's the one of risky things with this deal. Lot of potential fans for City might be lost with connection with Yankees as obviously lot of Americans hate them. Some will be lost to as City will be associated with new club and that won't go nice with fans of other mls clubs.

But I guess all projections about this are made and it's concluded that risk is worthy one.

But surely NYCFC will have loads of haters in USA now, lol, just as City does. Imagine all those ManYoo Yanks when NYCFC comes to their place, lol, they'll sing more songs about United and City than about their club.

A New York team will be hated no matter what. Superior resources, a league always trying to make them into a 'superclub' and arrogant fans. I just never thought I'd see the day when the hated Red Bulls would instantly become an underdog.

As for fans being lost because of any affiliation with City/Yankees, it's nonsense. The type of untapped market here are people who couldn't be bothered to travel to Jersey every other week that are already soccer fans. So that's quite a few. Not to mention the location itself which is in the heart of a strong Hispanic area, along with the Euro descendants in Western Queens and the white public out on Long Island.

Anyone who says "I'm not supporting NYCFC because I'm a Mets/Man United" fan is a fool, because they cannot differentiate between different philosophies, and that's not the type of casual fan that's going to build a fanbase anyway. Plus, even typical Americans who know a bit about the game know Manchester United "fans" are jokes. But we do have the 'support your team at home, support a European team' thing going on, so whatever...

I hope you're right, you surely know that area better than me. I know some rags from USA though and they hate City as any average rag and can't see them being fans of City's US club.

Any chance that 2015-16 MCFC season cards could include an Etihad flight to New York plus NYCFC match tickets? Perhaps NYCFC v MCFC summer friendlies?

nomorethaksintimes said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/sports/soccer/manchester-city-and-yankees-to-own-mls-franchise-in-new-york.html?ref=sports&_r=0

View from across the pond

EDIT: The general consensus in the comments section seems to be very positive, the odd gripe aside. People want the stadium in central New York though and think the rivalry will help the Red Bull team.
I can speak for many Americans when I say fuck the Wilpons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.