City launch MLS Franchise

oakiecokie said:
ell said:
Havent managed to read much of the thread yet and will do when I get time but can someone briefly explain how this benefits city and why everyone is so excited about it? Like I said I havent yet had time to look at it and at the minute besides having the same owners and maybe loaning a few players I dont understand what its got to do with MCFC?

In a nutshell it means :
£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$.
Loads `a money !!

oh ££$

remember when there was a feature on the website when reyna was at Carrington last year?? looks likely that it was for this very project. so........sun jihuia had a feature and danny tiatto?? same in maybe china and Australia?? world domination??

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXnZbD6xbgU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXnZbD6xbgU</a>

Tbilisi said:
From Daily Fail,great if true

City's deal to start a new MLS club in New York may have scuppered David Beckham's plans to do the same in Miami as the league will have a full quota of 20 teams.

Pretty much nonsense. American "Major Leagues" in various sports don't believe in quotas of teams. I've seen some places talking about expanding MLS to ultimately reach 40 teams - all in the same division. Certainly most places seem to think that they'll keep going past 25 teams. The fact that they don't follow the otherwise-universal principle of playing an equal number of games home and away against each team mean that they can afford to have crazily-high amounts of teams, by just making it so you play the majority of your games against the clubs who are closer to you and only rarely playing the ones on the opposite side of the country.

I've seen bits a pieces of info on MLS's structure throughout the thread, some correct, a lot wrong or out of date, so I thought I'd put a quick primer and how it'll probably affect the NYCFC-MCFC relationship.

On the surface, it looks like City bought an MLS franchise, but what they actually did was buy a share in the league itself, but will run the day to day operation of NYCFC. All revenues are shared between the teams. The purpose of this single entity structure is to increase sustainability, so the league doesn't go the way of the NASL, which is why the salary cap is so important. On the whole, MLS is profitable or at least on the borderline of profitability.

Though there is a salary cap, with the league paying the salaries, teams can exceed that cap with designated players (DPs). DPs still do count against the cap, just not the full amount of the salary ($350k I think, less for players less than 23 years old), with a max of 3 being allowed (no trading for more). The extra salary does have to be paid for by the club itself, not the league.

Teams are allowed 8 international player spots, but it is possible to trade for additional spots, but it's unlikely to gain more than 2-3 spots in a year.

For MCFC, I don't see a lot of loaning back and forth between the two teams. I think it's unlikely City will loan more than a couple players a year over to NYCFC, and those players will just as likely be first team players who have fallen out of favor rather than promising EDS players (though both might fill DPs slots).

Personally, I'm kind of disappointed MLS would do such a deal. The Chivas USA experiment has been a disaster, but I understand why MLS did it at the time, since they were in dire financial straits at the time and needed owners. I'll give it time before deciding whether I want to switch my MLS allegiance (I was already a DC United fan before moving to Manchester a couple years ago)

Falastur said:
Tbilisi said:

City's deal to start a new MLS club in New York may have scuppered David Beckham's plans to do the same in Miami as the league will have a full quota of 20 teams.

Pretty much nonsense. American "Major Leagues" in various sports don't believe in quotas of teams. I've seen some places talking about expanding MLS to ultimately reach 40 teams - all in the same division. Certainly most places seem to think that they'll keep going past 25 teams. The fact that they don't follow the otherwise-universal principle of playing an equal number of games home and away against each team mean that they can afford to have crazily-high amounts of teams, by just making it so you play the majority of your games against the clubs who are closer to you and only rarely playing the ones on the opposite side of the country.

All the other pro sports leagues in the US have 30 teams, the NFL with 32. However, contraction of teams is a recurring topic of discussion with 1-2 perpetually struggling franchises in each of those leagues.

While soccer is growing, I just don't see how it would be sustainable up to 40 teams.

I think a realistic scenario is an initial expansion of MLS to 24 teams and then MLS acquiring or merging with the NASL and setting a hard cutoff date where some teams will be relegated after the designated season and then a 12-16 team MLS-2.

Tbilisi said:

Oh dear - even better than I thought "Hard Cheese Dave".

Peoria Blue said:
Falastur said:
Tbilisi said:

All the other pro sports leagues in the US have 30 teams, the NFL with 32. However, contraction of teams is a recurring topic of discussion with 1-2 perpetually struggling franchises in each of those leagues.

While soccer is growing, I just don't see how it would be sustainable up to 40 teams.

I think a realistic scenario is an initial expansion of MLS to 24 teams and then MLS acquiring or merging with the NASL and setting a hard cutoff date where some teams will be relegated after the designated season and then a 12-16 team MLS-2.

I completely agree that I don't think 40 is practical. Doesn't mean they wouldn't try it if the league continues to boom in money and popularity, though...

I'm not sure I can agree on the MLS2 idea. The problem with this is the very nature of the American franchises. The owners have gone to the league and they have paid huge amounts of money to essentially reserve their place in that league - because that's how American owners view the franchise fees. Their clubs exist not because they were founded and then the joined the league, they exist because the league technically owns all the slots for the teams, and the owners have paid $5-40m each (as the fee inflates) to "rent out" one of those league slots. They would fiercely oppose relegation because they would argue it was a breach of contract. They pay good money to be in the top division of US football, and they demand to retain that place. Until the MLS ditches the franchise model - which would be such a radical restructuring as to virtually require starting the league from scratch, and would be so incredibly un-American compared to the rest of US sports, that it will never happen - then I'd say promotion/relegation can never be implemented in a major league. It could potentially be implemented down at about the third or fourth, or maybe second tiers, where the exposure of the top clubs is not so massive that being one league down will cripple your visibility and profitability, but I simply can't see the franchise owners OKing the move in MLS.

Falastur said:
Peoria Blue said:
Falastur said:

I completely agree that I don't think 40 is practical. Doesn't mean they wouldn't try it if the league continues to boom in money and popularity, though...

I'm not sure I can agree on the MLS2 idea. The problem with this is the very nature of the American franchises. The owners have gone to the league and they have paid huge amounts of money to essentially reserve their place in that league - because that's how American owners view the franchise fees. Their clubs exist not because they were founded and then the joined the league, they exist because the league technically owns all the slots for the teams, and the owners have paid $5-40m each (as the fee inflates) to "rent out" one of those league slots. They would fiercely oppose relegation because they would argue it was a breach of contract. They pay good money to be in the top division of US football, and they demand to retain that place. Until the MLS ditches the franchise model - which would be such a radical restructuring as to virtually require starting the league from scratch, and would be so incredibly un-American compared to the rest of US sports, that it will never happen - then I'd say promotion/relegation can never be implemented in a major league. It could potentially be implemented down at about the third or fourth, or maybe second tiers, where the exposure of the top clubs is not so massive that being one league down will cripple your visibility and profitability, but I simply can't see the franchise owners OKing the move in MLS.

Even if promotion/relegation is an actual goal of MLS (which it isn't), it would never occur through the acquisition of either the NASL or USL, but rather through continued organic expansion of one/two new teams at a time until there was enough to break the league into two. I actually think the single-entity model makes it more likely rather than less, since sharing revenue eliminates the main downside of relegation. Obviously the lose of prestige is still a big negative of relegation, but I think most owners would deal with it as long as the money keeps coming in.

The question is still moot at this point though, and will be for a couple decades. NYCFC will be team #20. Beckham still has the right to bring buy an MLS team, but that'll more likely be a relocated Chivas USA rather than team #21. Outside of Orlando, there are no locales seriously pushing to be the next expansion city, so it'll probably be 10 years before the league even reaches 24 teams (which isn't a crazy number as the Championship pulls it off).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.