City launch MLS Franchise

Anyone know what the rules regarding loan signings are in MLS? I know players are technically owned by the league, and that they can loan players out, but what about in?

I only ask this, as I've been contemplating the influence of Sorriano in this, and how he mentioned that he wants the first team, youth teams and NYCFC playing the same formations and tactics. Obviously he's come from Spain where the reserves play in the lower leagues, rather than a separate system, giving them a better understanding of playing for a professional club from an early age.

Is there a possibility that this club will be our EDS team playing in a professional league, managed by Paddy V until he and they are ready to make the step up to the main team, Barcelona style?

Pride_In_Battle said:
Anyone know what the rules regarding loan signings are in MLS? I know players are technically owned by the league, and that they can loan players out, but what about in?

I only ask this, as I've been contemplating the influence of Sorriano in this, and how he mentioned that he wants the first team, youth teams and NYCFC playing the same formations and tactics. Obviously he's come from Spain where the reserves play in the lower leagues, rather than a separate system, giving them a better understanding of playing for a professional club from an early age.

Is there a possibility that this club will be our EDS team playing in a professional league, managed by Paddy V until he and they are ready to make the step up to the main team, Barcelona style?

I think it's quite likely that some of our EDS players will play there, but only a few at a time, not an entire team. Bear in mind that Soriano today also said that he wants NYCFC to "do a Barcelona" and build a team made predominantly of locals who have been through the academy from the youngest age and live and breath the club. He's not looking for NYCFC to just be where we play the Man City B side until they're ready to graduate to the east side of the Atlantic - and I think you'd see the US fans turning on the club if it were stocked mainly of City loanees too. The US fans want to see a club with identity, they don't seem very keen on the idea of it being too blatantly just an exact doppelgänger of our own City.

The league as a single-entity pays the players salaries, and has a salary cap. A club may bring in up to 3 designated players that go beyond that cap, with the club assuming responsibility for that difference.

Edit: It's also a little tricky because there is also a designated player allocation system. If a player is identified by the league as a designated player, there is a rotation among the clubs in priority order, where once a club claims a player they are automatically moved to the bottom of the list.

Additionally, the league announced just within the last couple weeks the first mechanism for intraleague transfers.

Peoria Blue said:
The league as a single-entity pays the players salaries, and has a salary cap. A club may bring in up to 3 designated players that go beyond that cap, with the club assuming responsibility for that difference.

Edit: It's also a little tricky because there is also a designated player allocation system. If a player is identified by the league as a designated player, there is a rotation among the clubs in priority order, where once a club claims a player they are automatically moved to the bottom of the list.

Additionally, the league announced just within the last couple weeks the first mechanism for intraleague transfers.

I'm pretty sure that Designated Player slots can also be traded in the same way that draft picks are traded, no?

tangaroa said:
Has Garry Cook's (sp) name been mentioned in any of this? ... I think it'd be right up his street!

He's took up a job recently in the UFC, and is running the companies operations in Britain and the rest of Europe.

There were some journalists on twitter hinting that the leak about Pelligrini came from him. Not that I believe it.

Falastur said:
Pride_In_Battle said:

I think it's quite likely that some of our EDS players will play there, but only a few at a time, not an entire team. Bear in mind that Soriano today also said that he wants NYCFC to "do a Barcelona" and build a team made predominantly of locals who have been through the academy from the youngest age and live and breath the club. He's not looking for NYCFC to just be where we play the Man City B side until they're ready to graduate to the east side of the Atlantic - and I think you'd see the US fans turning on the club if it were stocked mainly of City loanees too. The US fans want to see a club with identity, they don't seem very keen on the idea of it being too blatantly just an exact doppelgänger of our own City.

Absolutely right. But we must not forget that these separate teams will be joined by one footballing philosophy and it is this which is up for grabs. What would be the ideal City model in your eyes - playing sublime football in New York, a blueprint of the club?

It's a question we all have an opinion on and about which we can speculate - football on a community level but on a global scale.

Thank you Sheik Mansour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.