City launch MLS Franchise

NYCFC, the next step in MCFC world domination! The future is blue my friends, drink it in :) Hahahahahahahahaha :))

Train said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhqRfQtfblg&feature=c4-feed-u[/youtube]
That was a good listen, thanks. Heard the first 40-odd mins.

One correction, it's not an extension of Manchester City, it's an extension of Abu Dhabi.

"biggest moment in MLS history" that's brilliant.

"Tony Pulis to Orlando" even better.

A way round FFP, pmsl

The Yankees involved too, wow.

Claudio Reyna HAHAHAHAHAAA!!

19 million people in the NY metro area. What a market we are expanding into.

This is going to be huge.

BlueCanuck said:
Frank the Yank said:
NYCBlue said:
Listen pal, iI probably have been supporting City longer than you have been alive. How old are you?? How many times have you heard that football is the next big thing in the US of A.

I.

If you're that long of a City supporter -- been with the club through long years when there was "better" clubs available to support in the Manchester area...then why are you so dismissive -- so aggressively dismissive (you said you'd shut your drapes if it was being played in your backyard) -- of MLS.

Is that not inconsistant with the values of long-time City support? If you stuck through City through relegations should you not also support the growth of your (new? Not sure if you're an ex-pat) local league/team in MLS, even when you know there are "better" options available to watch?

Not trying to cause an issue -- I don't know you, after all -- but I simply can't connect your attitude regarding MLS, with your lifelong City support.

Simple, I will be kind and say that the MLS has been a rather "substandard product. I did watch the first year and tried to get into it but couldnt. The past 10 years has seen an explosion of coverage of City and the EPL in general. Thats where I spent my footballing time.

I am not an expat I am a native born American. The New york area didnthave a team when MLS began. They are all the way over in New Jersey and thats a hell of a schlepp. Now with New york city, as I said, I think I will mosey on over and watch a game or two. We still dont know where exactly they will be playing. The new stadium in Flushing Meadow Park is not a done deal and it actually may hinge on the support, or lack thereof, of our next mayor.

Sorry if this has been posted already, thought it was an interesting bit of background.

<a class="postlink" href="http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/city-exec-always-had-eyes-on-the-u-s/?ref=soccer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/2 ... ref=soccer</a>

City Executive Always Had Eyes on the U.S.
By JACK BELL

Ferran Soriano, the Manchester City executive who was instrumental in the Premier League club’s decision to become part of Major League Soccer, has long viewed the United States as fertile ground for soccer.

He was the vice president of business operations at Barcelona before moving to England to work for Manchester City. And on a trip to Barcelona for a truly classic Clásico in March 2007, I was able to sit down with Soriano, who is fluent in English, for an interview at the club’s Camp Nou stadium.

Before the announcement on Tuesday that Manchester City and the Yankees would be partners in the 20th M.L.S. team, to launch in 2015, Soriano was one of the executives behind Barcelona’s aborted attempt to place a team in M.L.S. in Miami in 2008.

This time, Soriano was successful.

Back in 2007 in Barcelona he said: “I’m the one who was in charge of developing contact with [M.L.S. Commissioner] Don Garber in April 2005. We have since been developing that relationship. Why? You look at the football industry the last 10 years and there has been tremendous growth in Europe. But that growth will not continue. The next sources of growth will be outside Europe. We have to ask what are the relevant markets and what are the priorities.”

It is no secret that a host of the top European clubs have been searching for a formula to crack the United States market in big, sustainable ways. In the past decade that has meant annual summer tours to help boost recognition. Merchandising is a big part, and as Soriano has said all along, the notion of a top club owning a team in M.L.S. (and in other minor league) has also been a goal of some.

“Where can you find interesting soccer? On what level is the local competition? Is there money available to be spent? Are people ready to spend? In South America, there is high interest, local competition, but not a lot of money to be spend. Japan is a dream market, no local competition and money to spend. Then the U.S. People have money, local interest is not so strong, but there is a growing interest in soccer around the world. It is an important market because we think the interest will increase. Of course there are a number of challenges, starting with the competition from other big sports. But the factors helping soccer in the U.S. are the Hispanic population, the number of kids playing soccer who, at some point, their interest will move to the professional level, and in general globalization.”
Even in 2007, Soriano realized that annual summer tours could not sustain the presence of a European club, even one as popular, entertaining and proficient as Barcelona.

“The question is: what happens the week after we go home?” he said. “You could do schools, have kids play in our jersey. They will watch and buy our jersey. But if you want to be permanent in the U.S. you have to be there every week. And the only way to do that is to have a team. Young players, develop players. It will be very different from the original product.”

So six years ago Soriano had a vision of what a European club could do to succeed, long term, in the United States. He also had then, and now obviously, a positive view of M.L.S.

“I have good relationship with M.L.S.,” he said. “They seem very smart and professional; I like doing business with them. We speak the same language. They are the right people to try and make soccer significant in the U.S. Maybe it will take 10 years. We will be watching closely .At some point we will have a permanent presence, I just don’t know what form right now.”

And that permanent presence, announced in 2013 with a launch date of 2015, will be with Manchester City, not Barcelona.

I'm happy to announce that the Rag Cafe, Manchester City buy MLS team with the New York Yankees, let's laugh at City thread, has ground to a shuddering halt after just two pages. :-)

I think the *Dime* has dropped. ;-)

Havent managed to read much of the thread yet and will do when I get time but can someone briefly explain how this benefits city and why everyone is so excited about it? Like I said I havent yet had time to look at it and at the minute besides having the same owners and maybe loaning a few players I dont understand what its got to do with MCFC?

ell said:
Havent managed to read much of the thread yet and will do when I get time but can someone briefly explain how this benefits city and why everyone is so excited about it? Like I said I havent yet had time to look at it and at the minute besides having the same owners and maybe loaning a few players I dont understand what its got to do with MCFC?

In a nutshell it means :
£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$.
Loads `a money !!

ell said:

You create a permanent City presence in the most wealthy mostly untapped football market in the world.

oakiecokie said:
ell said:

In a nutshell it means :
£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$.
Loads `a money !!

Ive seen that suggested but how does this money get back to City? Thanks for the replies I just cant get my head round it at the moment

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.