City= many black players, but at COMS not many black fans

People have preconceived notions all over based on the information they've been fed, whether from the media or just from gossip, growing up, socializing with others, etc. It's up to the ones who know first hand to respond in a positive manner to dispell these notions, rather than responding with insults and hostility.

My trip to Germany several years ago found the Germans I met to be friendly, humorous, and more socially conscious than most Americans I know, opposite of the post WWII, Cold War stereotypes I had always heard about.

My fiance is black. Last year when we drove from Indiana to Pensacola, Florida, she was extremely apprehensive about going through Alabama, based on the state's history and what she had heard. Guess what? No one paid us the slightest bit of attention anywhere in Alabama.

From her perspective and what she went through growing up, I can understand the apprehension of minorities ethnic groups in these matters.

Also, US televising of English football can sometimes leave the same apprehensions the gentleman from Finland has. Most of the camera shots at Man City games only show Caucasians in the crowds, and I've been told Newcastle is the "whitest" city in England.

Oh, and another thing: I've had a few fellow Americans comment they'd never root for a club owned by Arabs (a small number of people, btw). Doesn't matter to me at all, I love City and I don't care who owns the team as long as they care and improve the club. Other soccer fans here in the States agree with me and could care less who the owners of any given club are. A foreigner however could hear the one person make the anti-Arab comment and go home to his country thinking all Americans are like that. I've probably been guilty of generalizing myself in the past on various issues.

My fiance by the way also had these same reservations about going to Germany based on what she'd been told growing up. I dispelled them by telling her my experiences when I went there and she now looks forward to visiting Germany, as well as England for a City match. I think skybluekings' query has legitimate merit, especially when he's never been to England and has only the media and other info from where he lives to go by. I'm thankful for the positive responses here.

skybluekings said:
As a foreigner watching the City games live on TV, it is nice to see such a diverse team - now even with a black captain. However, the COMS doesn't seem to have many black fans at the games.

Is race an issue with city fans? In other words, are people of color welcomed at the games or is it expected to run into racists there?

Why should the colour of your skin be of importance, as far as I know anyone is welcome at City. What we don't need is the PC nutters making bullshit propaganda. If you want to support City you can be Black, white , yellow, purple or whatever. No conversation needed!

chazmcfc said:
well its hardly surprising when an element of wankers in the stadium are singing how adebayor is hung like an elephant. sickening.

Wish they'd sing that about me.

Not much chance though!

blueyorkie said:
skybluekings said:
As a foreigner watching the City games live on TV, it is nice to see such a diverse team - now even with a black captain. However, the COMS doesn't seem to have many black fans at the games.

Is race an issue with city fans? In other words, are people of color welcomed at the games or is it expected to run into racists there?

Why should the colour of your skin be of importance, as far as I know anyone is welcome at City. What we don't need is the PC nutters making bullshit propaganda. If you want to support City you can be Black, white , yellow, purple or whatever. No conversation needed!
Thank fook for that i can bring our kid now hes purple, Phew!!

Colins Bellend said:
blueyorkie said:
Thank fook for that i can bring our kid now hes purple, Phew!!

Does he like muscles? ;o

Colins Bellend said:
IFeedGoats said:
Does he like muscles? ;o
??? got me there ,sorry

Yeah sorry mate was referring to

purple-aki.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.