City most valued Premier League Football Brand Again

‘‘Twas always thus.

It's pretty modern in the UK really mate, well since the premier league made everyone pay premier league prices.

I dodge everything expensive for a cheaper option, by everything I mean everything from food to nights out.

But this lot have cornered the market on firsy class football.

We may have posted record profits last year but we also had record outgoings.
Without profit from player trading we would have made a loss and a not an insignificant one. So we were hardly rolling in it sufficient to give all the st holders a discount.

Football admission prices are too high, I think we all agree however it is no longer a "working class/man's sport". We as a fanbase cannot change that. As a bonus nobody pisses down the back of my leg in the south stand and I don't smell or feel like I've smoked a thousand cigarettes when I get home. The food isnt served by a grimey craggy faced bloke from Moss side with dirty fingernails and a faintly smoking dimp with an incredibly long ash remenant tenuously hanging from the side of his mouth that never falls, even when he speaks or holds out his dt induced shaking hand for the cash.

I don't get dogshit on my footwear and clothes everywhere traversing around the grounds alleyways or risk running into a gang of skinheads or kool kats who want to borrow 10p.

Neither do I have to run the gauntlet at Piccadilly train station of either away fans returning to wherever from Maine Road or bully boy coppers wanting to give someone a hiding in the back of a black marria.

A quick calculation tells me the cost of admission (season ticket cost for 1 game ie divided by 19) in 1985 was 2% of my weekly take home wages. Now its 8%. That's a pro rata increase of 400%, I'm not sure what to make of that apart from its expensive.

Last edited:
We may have posted record profits last year but we also had record outgoings.
Without profit from player trading we would have made a loss and a not an insignificant one. So we were hardly rolling in it sufficient to give all the st holders a discount.

Football admission prices are too high, I think we all agree however it is no longer a "working class/man's sport". We as a fanbase cannot change that. As a bonus nobody pisses down the back of my leg in the south stand and I don't smell or feel like I've smoked a thousand cigarettes when I get home. The food isnt served by a grimey craggy faced bloke from Moss side with dirty fingernails and a faintly smoking dimp with an incredibly long ash remenant tenuously hanging from the side of his mouth that never falls, even when he speaks or holds out his dt induced shaking hand for the cash.

I don't get dogshit on my footwear and clothes everywhere traversing around the grounds alleyways or risk running into a gang of skinheads or kool kats who want to borrow 10p.

Neither do I have to run the gauntlet at Piccadilly train station of either away fans returning to wherever from Maine Road or bully boy coppers wanting to give someone a hiding in the back of a black marria.

A quick calculation tells me the cost of admission (season ticket cost for 1 game ie divided by 19) in 1985 was 2% of my weekly take home wages. Now it’s 8%. That's a pro rata increase of 400%, I'm not sure what to make of that apart from its expensive.
Aaaahhh, the good old days!

It's pretty modern in the UK really mate, well since the premier league made everyone pay premier league prices.

I dodge everything expensive for a cheaper option, by everything I mean everything from food to nights out.

But this lot have cornered the market on firsy class football.
Make no mistake, City today are not the City of yesteryear…and thank goodness for that in most respect.

I understand that it feels like people are being priced out, but many of the ones I hear say such things are the ones who don’t blink spending real money on food and drink and drink and drink and more drink on match day.

Do I think there should be tiered pricing around the ground?
Absolutely!

Do I think safe standing/singing areas should have pricing the reflects a desire to expose younger and less well off supporters?
Absolutely!

I feel like football used to be one team’s signing fans at one end, the other team’s singing fans at the other end, with expensive seats on the dugout side and cheaper seats everywhere else. There was some away team seating, but you behaved, because, well, you were in the seats!! You didn’t sing, were often sitting in and around fans of the other team, but you were respectful of the other teams fans.

Those standing fans (of both teams) got a good deal on pricing and could afford a beer and a bite.

Today, not so much!

But, as @Kinkys Left Foot stated, that price came with a few things that wouldn’t cut it today, but the football is the best we have EVER seen at ANY price!

A quick calculation tells me the cost of admission (season ticket cost for 1 game ie divided by 19) in 1985 was 2% of my weekly take home wages. Now its 8%. That's a pro rata increase of 400%, I'm not sure what to make of that apart from its expensive.
A pedant writes: there were 21 home games back in 1985

2016-17£750
2017-18£770
2018-19£795
2019-20£820
2020-21N/A*
2021-22£820
2022-23£845
2023-24£880

Obviously there are different prices for different seat and experiences but after making record profits I can't get excited for the club considering those profits aren't passed onto the fans who are just asked to pay more mate.
I'm in no way condoning the rises, as I feel them too but, just done a quick calculation on-line and from 2016 the figure now would be £998 if increases kept pace with inflation.

Again not the point I was making, profits go up and prices go up. It's ACTUAL money that fans pay and it's too much.
Too much based on what? we have 16 premier league teams whose fans have to pay more, with definitely worse football to watch. Also when compared to inflation City's season tickets have dropped. If we weren't selling tickets to such an extent the club are adding capacity then i could see we are charging too much but the demand is there at that price

Sadly its the way of the world these days that entertainment costs. Concert and theatre tickets are now twice the price of City s tickets.

The profits are a product of the success, if City have a bad season then the extra money the cup runs and world club cup entry brought in are not there and we are in danger of FFP. So the club could not cut season ticket prices to be break even as they could very quickly be in FFP trouble.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.