City Ownership

Damocles said:
Superb argument Andy; they can treat people like that because it is their culture. I wonder what you reaction would be if it was the type of person you work with and I used the "culture" excuse.

"Well, it's just Western culture to take the piss, who are we to preach that it is wrong?"

Would you accept that as an acceptable response from me, or would you tell me that I was full of shit?

The usual Western response is to go bomb the fk out of them is it not.

There's arguably no Govt in the world that doesn't use torture or have human rights issues. Do I ever think about it? NO! Does it bother me? NO! It is widely said that the UAE is the most progressive, democartic, and best country in the middle east. That'll do for me!

Damo is obviously an intelligent man and I doubt very much he was not aware of the waves his post would make. What confuses me is why he thought he could get a satisfactory answer to his questions on Bluemoon, and whether he attempted to obtain some form of clarification elsewhere before stirring the pot. I'm also interested to know whether he's raised these issues with his journalist contacts yet or whether he intends to.
Damo has, in the past, made some ludicrous claims and disappeared into the sunset when challenged on them, I'm hoping that he will on this occasion give us a little more to support his inference that we are the vehicle of human rights abusers than some paltry links.
So far the only evidence that there is anything underhand going on is a thankyou speech which has, some say, no deeper meaning than an act of courtesy.

blue order said:
I cannot believe how a thread can grow to such gargantuan proportions.Conspiracy on conspiracy ... misplaced statements ... facts quoted that are mere opinions .... panic on the streets of Beswick etc etc.

How so many people overlook the obvious here beggars belief.Then again,you are not like me trained in the arts of the C(L)IA.

Rule one ... go back to the first piece of primary evidence which is usually where the answer lies.

I,ve looked at the video from last night and the answer is there for all to see.

Not anywhere does Roberto make any reference to Sheikh Mohammed in his brief address.

If you play it again though there is however a very quick reference to Sheikh "Marmite".You can hear this clearly.

Half the family love him but half hate him.Because of this and the fact that he is only a distant cousin is why the club thought it best to edit the reference to him from the narrative.

Wars can start when simple things like this are misinterpreted so be more careful and vigilant.

The C(L)IA may not be here to protect you next time!

p.s.Great post Chris (London).

Oh ... we were involved in Glasnost too!

Didsbury Dave said:
rickmcfc said:
What a shite thread, well done OP with your gloomy outlook, why post something so controversial when we are all on such a high after recent events? I really do dispair about bluemoon at times and threads like this dont help. We are all entitled to our opinions but there is a time and a place,right now this is neither.

If this thread has affected anyone's enjoyment of the last six weeks, then they have serious social problems.

Nice to think that our Bob has pissed on your bonfire too Dismal.

What's got me shaking my head more than anything about this thread is:

All season Damo has been defending Mancini in his interviews with the media, saying how he may have been misquoted or misconstrued due to the language barrier and his broken English

I find it strange that you've choosen to pick up on this and question him now?........................

80s Shorts said:
Didsbury Dave said:
rickmcfc said:
What a shite thread, well done OP with your gloomy outlook, why post something so controversial when we are all on such a high after recent events? I really do dispair about bluemoon at times and threads like this dont help. We are all entitled to our opinions but there is a time and a place,right now this is neither.

If this thread has affected anyone's enjoyment of the last six weeks, then they have serious social problems.

Nice to think that our Bob has pissed on your bonfire too Dismal.
Why the OP felt the need for this shit is beyond me! The season has just finsihed and newspapers have virtually nothing of fact to report. therefore they will search high and low for anything that they can print and this story will be back page news in the papers this weekend or after the Champions Lg final has died down!

Damocles said:
Bluetones said:
not sure if this has been covered, but one of our directors is called Mohamed al Mazrouie, he may have been talking about him???

It has; he isn't a Sheikh.

Sheikh is an honorary title meaning elder so how do you know that he isnt?

You see, I'm a clever c***.

"Judge no one happy until his life is over" is a familiar theme in Greek and Roman philosophical writing. One variant of this is the Sword of Damocles, which is used to describe a sense of foreboding

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOyj3qM_Dk[/youtube]

Stop me, oh, stop me
Stop me if you think that you've
Heard this one before
Stop me, oh, stop me
Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before

Nothing's changed
I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to, my love

And then.........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsl0hzNBWY&feature=related[/youtube]

I started something
I forced you to a zone
And you were clearly
Never meant to go
Hair brushed and parted
Typical me, typical me
Typical me
I started something
...And now I'm not too sure

Still be ST's for sale at united, good bit of moral high ground to be had, yanks never nuked anybody
Damocles said:
fbloke said:
As I mentioned earlier in the thread the idea that the UK, France, Italy, Germany and almost any nation you could name are as guilty of abuse of human rights abuse as almost any other nation.

Logical fallacy number 1: Appeal to Tradition

Do you deny that there are and should continue to be cultural differences across the globe or do you want to create a homogenised global community based on what you perceive to be acceptable values?

2. Strawman

If you accept that difference is 'good' then surely we have to accept that difference causes friction?

3. False dichotomy

I have been involved in the battle to save Garry McKinnon from being extradited to the US because we in the UK deal with people with learning difficulties/disabilities very differently in our judicial system to the way the US have a history and tradition of dealing with the same people.

Culturally we cannot be as close to any country as the US and yet we have such different values.

4. Mind Projection

You seem to be throwing the old accusation that because I appreciate things need to change, but also accept that it will happen at a pace and in a manner that we may not be able to fully agree with, that I simply accept what goes on across the globe.

5. Strawman

Amnesty International are one of a few global organisations that act as the conscience of us all. They serve a valuable role but they are not perfect.

You could say that AI are acting like any other political party - http://www.economist.com/node/8888792 - and have a polemic they want us all to engage with.

http://antiwar.com/henderson/?articleid=9163

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/getting-human-rights-wrong-1.271563

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/david_aaronovitch/article7019817.ece

The simplicity of your argument will never hold water in the real world though as no country is perfect.

6. Appeal to tradition.

That's impressive, even for you mate. Your whole argument seems to be "everybody is shit", which is as absurd as it is disheartening. Your argument is justification for everything that is wrong in the world; under your own system, there is no need for anyone to ever intervene anywhere and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights doesn't need to be enforced because we are "working towards it".

Also, attacking the actions of a source isn't actually an argument, I have no idea why you posted a diatribe against AI.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.