City players whose best game at Maine Road or the Etihad was as an opposition player

Peter Bodak.

Shit knee sliding fucker.
Pathetic, cowardly, lily-liveried waste of space. Stole a living in our colours (like McPointy though even the latter managed one good game for us - just the one mind). Cowards like this one were a big reason why we tumbled down the table to relegation in 82-83.If Bodak had stepped up just once, we'd have grabbed a point or three and stayed up. He didn't.

Better than he was in the 5-1? Debatable that, mate.
Bishop was actually the player who inspired me to start the thread. I was at both matches and, in my opinion, he was best in the 3-3 game. They should have been dead and buried but he dragged them back into contention.
He was also excellent in the 5-1 though.

Just checked, he was there the previous season (81/82) playing the grand total of 13 matches.
David Cross? There's another one! Always rated him at West Ham, big tough centre foward who seemed to score loads.
Didn't really 'do it' for us did he? Think he scored in his first couple of games and hardly any afterwards?

Cross seems to have gone down as a failure in the annals of City history, but he scored a more than respectable 12 league goals in 31 appearances. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that he barely scored after an initial purple patch.

His general play wasn't the greatest for us and he did get some stick from the fans, true. I personally thought it was harsh when second-top scorer Kevin Reeves, who missed one match all season, scored a princely seven league goals.

We sold Cross to Vancouver Whitecaps after the transfer deadline, a particularly egregious piece of penny-pinching Swales idiocy. Sure, get rid and sign better in the close season, but don't ditch your only reliable source of goals when relegation has become a serious threat and you can't buy anyone else.

We had a declining Reeves and past-it Dennis Tueart up front for the rest of the season, who were largely toothless. I remain convinced that selling Cross when we did substantially increased our chances of going down.

Sounds right, think it might have been another once-decent but long past it striker, Phil Boyer, who came in at the same time as O’Neil?

O'Neill came in during the summer of 1981, in effect a replacement for Steve MacKenzie, who Bond had offloaded to West Brom. Boyer arrived in November 1980. "Long past it" is a slightly eccentric judgement of his worth at the time given that he'd been the First Division's leading scorer in the season that ended six months previously. He was available for transfer simply because Southampton had wanted to make a statement signing in the form of Kevin Keegan.

Boyer did perfectly OK for us in his first 6 or 8 weeks in our team, though he did appear to be adjusting to a new style of play. His problem was that he picked up a serious knee injury after just under two months with us and was never the same player again.

I think there's a few posters who are taking the thread title a bit too literally.

I think the idea is to think of someone who played at our ground for another team, played outstandingly well and then signed for us but didn't play consistently as well as they did that one time as an opponent.

I don't believe the OP wanted OPTA statistics being brought in to every reply to prove that each nomination had a better game once for City.

Cross seems to have gone down as a failure in the annals of City history, but he scored a more than respectable 12 league goals in 31 appearances. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that he barely scored after an initial purple patch.

His general play wasn't the greatest for us and he did get some stick from the fans, true. I personally thought it was harsh when second-top scorer Kevin Reeves, who missed one match all season, scored a princely seven league goals.

We sold Cross to Vancouver Whitecaps after the transfer deadline, a particularly egregious piece of penny-pinching Swales idiocy. Sure, get rid and sign better in the close season, but don't ditch your only reliable source of goals when relegation has become a serious threat and you can't buy anyone else.

We had a declining Reeves and past-it Dennis Tueart up front for the rest of the season, who were largely toothless. I remain convinced that selling Cross when we did substantially increased our chances of going down.

O'Neill came in during the summer of 1981, in effect a replacement for Steve MacKenzie, who Bond had offloaded to West Brom. Boyer arrived in November 1980. "Long past it" is a slightly eccentric judgement of his worth at the time given that he'd been the First Division's leading scorer in the season that ended six months previously. He was available for transfer simply because Southampton had wanted to make a statement signing in the form of Kevin Keegan.

Boyer did perfectly OK for us in his first 6 or 8 weeks in our team, though he did appear to be adjusting to a new style of play. His problem was that he picked up a serious knee injury after just under two months with us and was never the same player again.
In fairness to David Cross, looking at those stats ,there have been plenty of City forwards with worse goals to games ratios.
Maybe because it was the first time I (and many others) had experienced the 'unthinkable' of seeing us relegated maybe looking back most of the players seemed a bit shit that season!!.
Maybe my judgement of Cross is also a liitle clouded by my meeting with him prior to a game that season .When I requested he sign a photo he (quite politely) asked how much the photo cost, to which I said'15p from the club shop, that's a lot for a photo of you isn't it?'. Our star striker wasn't particularly impressed by this 'amusing'(?) appraisal from this teenager to which he replied 'that's a bit cheeky isn't it!'.
That day he and the rest of the City team were undoubtedly more than a 'bit shit' as we lost 1:0 to Notts Co! Like many blues of a certain age I've certainly seen some absolute dross and that game is pretty near the top (or bottom!)of the pile!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.