City players whose best game at Maine Road or the Etihad was as an opposition player

In fairness to David Cross, looking at those stats ,there have been plenty of City forwards with worse goals to games ratios.
Maybe because it was the first time I (and many others) had experienced the 'unthinkable' of seeing us relegated maybe looking back most of the players seemed a bit shit that season!!.
Maybe my judgement of Cross is also a liitle clouded by my meeting with him prior to a game that season .When I requested he sign a photo he (quite politely) asked how much the photo cost, to which I said'15p from the club shop, that's a lot for a photo of you isn't it?'. Our star striker wasn't particularly impressed by this 'amusing'(?) appraisal from this teenager to which he replied 'that's a bit cheeky isn't it!'.
That day he and the rest of the City team were undoubtedly more than a 'bit shit' as we lost 1:0 to Notts Co! Like many blues of a certain age I've certainly seen some absolute dross and that game is pretty near the top (or bottom!)of the pile!
Think Cross was on a bit of a loser from the off as Francis had left for Italy and Cross was the budget replacement. Cross had been decent at West Ham but wasnt getting any younger when he signed for us. We'll never know but he may well have grabbed another couple of goals towards the end of 82/3 which may have kept us up. Stats of 12 goals in 31 games for a relegated team are more than respectable.

Remember Peter Barnes running all over us in a Derby
Although they both had plenty of decent games for us, both Barnes and Owen 'weren't too shabby 'when WBA beat us 3:1at Maine Road in 1980.
Highlights have been posted on another thread but West Brom were very good that day (had a very decent team late 70s/early 80s and probably best team I've seen who never actually won anything).
People comment on the Etihad surface but the state of the Maine Road pitch in those days !!

Bernardo was absolutely brilliant both Legs of the Monaco ties -Sign him up or what??!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.