City quiz of the 1980's on MEN

Can only find confirmation that Steve Redmond made his debut at 18. No info on his age as captain. I'm pretty sure he was 19.
Maybe Gary James can settle it.
I've previously published this in one of my books:

In 1988, at the age of 20 Steve Redmond succeeded Kenny Clements on a permanent basis as captain. This meant that he became the youngest regular captain for the Blues. In 2007, at the age of 19, Micah Richards became the youngest City captain ever but he was not the permanent choice.

I've previously published this in one of my books:

In 1988, at the age of 20 Steve Redmond succeeded Kenny Clements on a permanent basis as captain. This meant that he became the youngest regular captain for the Blues. In 2007, at the age of 19, Micah Richards became the youngest City captain ever but he was not the permanent choice.

Thanks Gary - that settles it & the MEN got it wrong (as did I).
TBH I've read that many books about City (yours among them !) that the memory fades & the brain gets clogged up. Watching City for 60 years has resulted in a lot of info lying in the corners of my mind !

Can only find confirmation that Steve Redmond made his debut at 18. No info on his age as captain. I'm pretty sure he was 19.
Maybe Gary James can settle it.

I think it was Swindon at home in 87/88. when Redmond first captained City (temporarily) - it is in my book Teenage Kicks but I am in work until Thursday so can't get it. He was deffo 19 or 20 and not 18 as in the quiz. Both Gidman and Clements were not available so Redmond was made captain.
If anyone has Teenage Kicks check it as it is doing my head in!
@Gary James
Edit Just seen Gary's reply above. Correct (goes without saying!) but he was a temporary captain like Micah was too and depending on the date of that Swindon game he was either 19 or 20. His birthday is in November

Last edited:
I think it was Swindon at home in 87/88. when Redmond first captained City (temporarily) - it is in my book Teenage Kicks but I am in work until Thursday so can't get it. He was deffo 19 or 20 and not 18 as in the quiz. Both Gidman and Clements were not available so Redmond was made captain.
If anyone has Teenage Kicks check it as it is doing my head in!
@Gary James
Edit Just seen Gary's reply above. Correct (goes without saying!) but he was a temporary captain like Micah was too and depending on the date of that Swindon game he was either 19 or 20. His birthday is in November

Cheers for that - I remember that game. I was almost certain that he wasn't captain at 18, so when the MEN answer said he was I was surprised. Not the first time the MEN has given duff info.
Rule One of setting a quiz - get the facts right !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.