City - Revolutionising Academy football

City's academy gets non-stop praise. The criticism is that so few players make the transition into the first team.

It was always going to take a few years but it's slowly starting to happen now

I'm confident that soon a player will come through who will end up being a superstar

The crazy thing is if one super player emerges in a few years and is moved on for one reason or another, that players transfer fee could possibly recoup a large percentage of the initial outlay of building the academy!
Not sure about us letting a super player move on but there are going to be plenty who get close to "super" and yes good fees along the way if they don't quite make it here.

City's academy gets non-stop praise. The criticism is that so few players make the transition into the first team.
So the CFA, which is two years old, hasn't produced enough players yet?

Shocking.

Meanwhile the article shows that just a little bit of patience is called for, and that the future is bright.

The present isn't that shabby either.

^^^^^^
It is shameful that this is not more widely known, we should be pushing this at every opportunity.
At the time Twitter was full of idiots going on about our foreign youth, going by name alone and being thick isn't helped by the press in general.

So the CFA, which is two years old, hasn't produced enough players yet?

Shocking.

Meanwhile the article shows that just a little bit of patience is called for, and that the future is bright.

The present isn't that shabby either.
Not for us it hasn't. Of course I am patient and recognise these things don't happen overnight, but the biggest ingredient in success at youth team level is not the amount of money you throw at it, but the commitment of the 1st team coach to give opportunities to those who have the ability. Encouraging signs so far: Kelechi, Maffeo, Tosin, Garcia and others

Not for us it hasn't. Of course I am patient and recognise these things don't happen overnight, but the biggest ingredient in success at youth team level is not the amount of money you throw at it, but the commitment of the 1st team coach to give opportunities to those who have the ability. Encouraging signs so far: Kelechi, Maffeo, Tosin, Garcia and others

The problem last season may not have been totally MP´s.
Is it possible that those who bought players insisted that they played ie overruled the team selection because everyone was made aware he was leaving part way through the season ? At one stage it was painfully obvious that a certain central defender was simply not up for the job yet he was given opportunity after opportunity.

As you say it seems Pep is his own man when it comes to picking the team so long may it last if talented youth is to be given a fair chance at PL level.

I think that is changing though, Nacho is now established, Garcia coming on yesterday hopefully shows he will now slowly be bein gphased in to take a midfield berth once Silva cannot do multiple games, and Pep said himself Maffeo was considered to start but felt he was not yet ready to cope with the physicality of wba, so I would expect he will get his chance.
Also with the EDs and U18's topping their leagues, I cannot see the kids being overlooked in the future.
Iheanacho is hardly a product of our Academy is he? We signed him at 17 and he's mainly been in and around the first team since his 18th birthday.

Apart from Chelsea away last season, a game which we basically threw, and United away last week we've very rarely seen many youth players in recent years. I think that will change over the next few years though as not only Guardiola implements them but also the fruits are seen from the hard work of the Academy where the talent will come through.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.