City v Everton post match

I never read the reports in the papers until Monday - I reflect on what I've seen on matchday (what's left of it) and then test my conclusions against the papers. This has been a waste of time ever since I can remember because the reporters usually haven't watched the match (in this case Sterling was felled for the first penalty!) or have viewed it from the standpoint of another team, often the rags. But the Independent's report takes the biscuit. The game apparently is a part of Guardiola's introduction to, and education in, the PL. I didn't realise that this league is of such quality that it is the only league in which you can dominate possession, attack, attack and attack and then find yourself trailing to a counter of breathtaking quality. Neither, the Independent suggests, did Pep Guardiola. City had blown themselves out by half time and Ronald Koeman went on to teach his pupil the harshest of lessons about the PL. From what Koeman said after the match I suspect this assertion was as big a surprise to him as to Pep. There will, we are sombrely assured by the paper, be many more days like Saturday for Pep and City this season. Whether that means missing two penalties in one match and still not losing, I don't know... But City, it appears, have appointed a manager of the most dangerous inexperience and naivety!

I never read the reports in the papers until Monday - I reflect on what I've seen on matchday (what's left of it) and then test my conclusions against the papers. This has been a waste of time ever since I can remember because the reporters usually haven't watched the match (in this case Sterling was felled for the first penalty!) or have viewed it from the standpoint of another team, often the rags. But the Independent's report takes the biscuit. The game apparently is a part of Guardiola's introduction to, and education in, the PL. I didn't realise that this league is of such quality that it is the only league in which you can dominate possession, attack, attack and attack and then find yourself trailing to a counter of breathtaking quality. Neither, the Independent suggests, did Pep Guardiola. City had blown themselves out by half time and Ronald Koeman went on to teach his pupil the harshest of lessons about the PL. From what Koeman said after the match I suspect this assertion was as big a surprise to him as to Pep. There will, we are sombrely assured by the paper, be many more days like Saturday for Pep and City this season. Whether that means missing two penalties in one match and still not losing, I don't know... But City, it appears, have appointed a manager of the most dangerous inexperience and naivety!

Shit. Not again ;-)

I don't want to re-litigate this point, as we'll have to agree to disagree on it. That said, not seeing the whole field does not necessarily negate my point.

As a claim of not being able to see the whole field is only relevant in regards to what I did not see. For that which I can see, not seeing the whole field is not a defense.

I saw instances of stagnation by individual players who's movement to certain areas would have changed the complexity of certain exchanges. On 2 occasions Sane on the ball with Gundogan and Silva not moving to create space or passing lanes in the final third. These 2 instances couldn't be explained away by a claim of not seeing the field. Similarly I noted earlier 3 instances in which teammates failed to pick up DeBryune run down the middle.

These instances in the game that I saw ( again, negating the ' you didn't see the whole field claim') is what my notion of us being sluggish in the final third is based on.

Also of note, when Nolito was introduced against the very same staunch defense, his movements was a nuisance. His goal itself was an example of that movement and Nuisance that was lacking pre introduction. The way he curled from the left side of the field to the center of the 18 caused defenders to lose him in the melee. It was this kind of movement that was often lacking.

So, yes while the pass and control of the game was good, the final area movement ans passing was below par. Some of it was due to good team defense on Everton's part, but also below par movement on ours.

On many occasions, Sterling and Sane best their individual defenders like a rag, this kind of action naturally causes a rift in any defensive structure. But only in out players are moving incisevely. For good portions of the game I could see they weren't. And thus I can't see how what I saw 'in specific instances" can be refuted by claims of not seeing the whole field.

Let me simplify this mate, and in no way is this meant to be patronising, however, if one of my students wrote a two thousand word essay as a retort to a non issue, I wouldn't simply rip it up, burn it etc, I'd ask for feedback, you've done that and fair play but again your own ego is driving your point here... Off the ball movement has everything to do with how a first passage of play develops, it's a non issue in terms of 'attempting' and what you've viewed..... Let's put it this way, it's a forum for debate, I think you get a hard time by some for coming across as aloof and matter of fact, I personally enjoy your analysis, however, on this occasion the very fact your weren't there, for the reason above, has frustrated you and you now are infact 'Roy walkers' lovechild!!!

True perhaps my conclusion should have been "we could have played better." Since that's what my claims really pointed out. I thought we too often failed to move decisively in the final 3rd, thus while I think we were unfortunate to not have won. I think we could have done a lot better in that area. Which perhaps is not to say we didn't play well.

For most including me its the result that matters.

We can play a good game and lose, a poor game and win but either way when we win we forgive what actually occurred during the 90 minutes to some degree and clock off another three points and when we don't we focus more on the negatives , the bad luck , the poor decisions made by us and officialdom etc.

As for Saturday we played a solid game ( 12 per cent of game time in Everton's half and 6 per cent in the final third ) but we couldn't score more than one goal and that came from one of our few decent crosses for the whole game.

I agree it wasn't a pearler for the neutral but in the end it was all about missing penalties.

Score 2 or more in a similar game and we win nearly every time.

I think that's 5 we have fluffed this season and that is a poor return.

I don't want to re-litigate this point, as we'll have to agree to disagree on it. That said, not seeing the whole field does not necessarily negate my point.

As a claim of not being able to see the whole field is only relevant in regards to what I did not see. For that which I can see, not seeing the whole field is not a defense.

I saw instances of stagnation by individual players who's movement to certain areas would have changed the complexity of certain exchanges. On 2 occasions Sane on the ball with Gundogan and Silva not moving to create space or passing lanes in the final third. These 2 instances couldn't be explained away by a claim of not seeing the field. Similarly I noted earlier 3 instances in which teammates failed to pick up DeBryune run down the middle.

These instances in the game that I saw ( again, negating the ' you didn't see the whole field claim') is what my notion of us being sluggish in the final third is based on.

Also of note, when Nolito was introduced against the very same staunch defense, his movements was a nuisance. His goal itself was an example of that movement and Nuisance that was lacking pre introduction. The way he curled from the left side of the field to the center of the 18 caused defenders to lose him in the melee. It was this kind of movement that was often lacking.

So, yes while the pass and control of the game was good, the final area movement ans passing was below par. Some of it was due to good team defense on Everton's part, but also below par movement on ours.

On many occasions, Sterling and Sane best their individual defenders like a rag, this kind of action naturally causes a rift in any defensive structure. But only in out players are moving incisevely. For good portions of the game I could see they weren't. And thus I can't see how what I saw 'in specific instances" can be refuted by claims of not seeing the whole field.
Bloody hell Dax, you sound like Craig Revel Horwood!

Against 11 men behind the ball, to create chances like we did, in the way that we did, was excellent... It showed that we will cope quite easily with the tactic in the future, as there won't be many teams as good as Koemans at defending there six yard box. Also, we won't have may days where the keeper makes world class save after save......

The poles in opinion stem from those able to see the whole pitch as they were there, the movement was excellent as we were invariably in positions 9/10 times to cause a threat (against a parked bus), to suggest otherwise is shortsighted, not because the minority are 'clueless' but the camera doesn't tell the whole story!!

200w.gif

Can we swap seats? There's two in particular near me that shout all sorts of shit.
Their number one gripe being "fucking about with it at the back". Or shouting shooooot during the first half when from our block it's hard to tell if we're 25 or 40 years out.
Oh you sit next to Bill. Send his daughter my love next game.

For any City fans still saying we were shite, Everton manager:

“That’s the problem for them on Wednesday – the individual qualities of Barcelona is so extremely high. But City can beat Barcelona. They will also have the ball and I think it is the best game you can watch between the philosophy of two teams and it is a really high standard of football. I’m really looking forward to seeing that game.

“The way they played [against Everton], the way they showed to the fans of City – it was a great performance but the result is not what they maybe deserved. But if they go on in this way, with this football and they keep everyone fit [it can be] perfect.”

“That’s the problem for them on Wednesday – the individual qualities of Barcelona is so extremely high. But City can beat Barcelona. They will also have the ball and I think it is the best game you can watch between the philosophy of two teams and it is a really high standard of football. I’m really looking forward to seeing that game.

“The way they played [against Everton], the way they showed to the fans of City – it was a great performance but the result is not what they maybe deserved. But if they go on in this way, with this football and they keep everyone fit [it can be] perfect.”

Yeah but our movement is snide!!!

You sure he's not talking about 'Red Monday'?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.