City v Roma 1980

baildon blue said:
The goal keeper for City is Platt . I thought Corrigan was are keeper in 1980 . I never knew we had a keeper called Platt !!!

Looking at the date of the game, 27/5 80, Joe Corrigan would have been with the England squad preparing for the 1980 Euros in Italy. I can't specifically remember Platt but he was most likely a youth team keeper who was taken on tour for the experience. Keith Macrae was still at the club at that time and would presumably have been the other available keeper.

I see they couldn't spell Paul SugrUe's name correctly either. Nice free kick from Kazzy too, no doubt that he meant it.

Edit: Actually Alex Williams would have been the regular Youth team keeper at that time as he was in goal when we played the Youth Cup Final in 1980 - so now I've no idea who Platt was!

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Tbilisi said:
I thought it was £1.47, but I'm not the type to engage in petty point scoring.

Think you maybe correct GDM,but he was shite at City no mistake.
My (rag, admittedly) dad described him as the worst midfielder he ever saw in the top flight "apart from Kleberson".

He was quite a powerful midfielder at Wolves. I knew someone who worked with him when he was a rep at Carlsberg-Tetley ( as they then were) who said he was a top bloke. Took the piss out of himself with great grace.

I've watched his after dinner show and he's very self deprecating. Came across really well though.

My abiding memory of him is being sent off at Brighton (Where we usually got a 4-0 hammering) and we ended up winning the game with 10 men.

lancs blue said:
baildon blue said:
The goal keeper for City is Platt . I thought Corrigan was are keeper in 1980 . I never knew we had a keeper called Platt !!!

Looking at the date of the game, 27/5 80, Joe Corrigan would have been with the England squad preparing for the 1980 Euros in Italy. I can't specifically remember Platt but he was most likely a youth team keeper who was taken on tour for the experience. Keith Macrae was still at the club at that time and would presumably have been the other available keeper.

I see they couldn't spell Paul SugrUe's name correctly either. Nice free kick from Kazzy too, no doubt that he meant it.

Edit: Actually Alex Williams would have been the regular Youth team keeper at that time as he was in goal when we played the Youth Cup Final in 1980 - so now I've no idea who Platt was!

I seem to remember we had Jim Platt (ex Smoggie keeper) as a trialist. I may be wrong but it seems to ring a bell.

Edit. Actually it was John Platt from Oldham.

Selbyblue said:
lancs blue said:
baildon blue said:

I seem to remember we had Jim Platt (ex Smoggie keeper) as a trialist. I may be wrong but it seems to ring a bell.

Edit. Actually it was John Platt from Oldham.

Thanks for that info,

Blue Punter said:
Tbilisi said:
Think you maybe correct GDM,but he was shite at City no mistake.
My (rag, admittedly) dad described him as the worst midfielder he ever saw in the top flight "apart from Kleberson".

He was quite a powerful midfielder at Wolves. I knew someone who worked with him when he was a rep at Carlsberg-Tetley ( as they then were) who said he was a top bloke. Took the piss out of himself with great grace.

I've watched his after dinner show and he's very self deprecating. Came across really well though.

My abiding memory of him is being sent off at Brighton (Where we usually got a 4-0 hammering) and we ended up winning the game with 10 men.

Was at that Brighton game...we hadnt won for ages as well...1 - 2,think Tueart scored.

Just watched it again .
I thought are keeper Platt looked a bit ropey .
We had some decent players in that team a part from the keeper.
It looks like it was played on an artificial pitch . The likes of Q.P.R , Luton , Oldham and Preston played in the 80s .

I must confess, looking back I feel unusually attached to that group of players, even though it marked a serious downgrade from the squad in situ a couple of years earlier.

Maybe it was my age (10) when that game was played. I reckon I'd have idolised pretty much anyone playing for City at that time.

I must confess, looking back I feel unusually attached to that group of players, even though it marked a serious downgrade from the squad in situ a couple of years earlier.

Maybe it was my age (10) when that game was played. I reckon I'd have idolised pretty much anyone playing for City at that time.
I think it was that all blue kit that made me follow City .
Dennis Tueart was a player I admired in that era .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.