City v Stoke Post Match Thread

prestonibbo_mcfc said:
r.soleofsalford said:
prestonibbo_mcfc said:
Just as an aside to this. Have we all seen Yaya's interview on the OS. When asked about the rest before the CoC final. You could see
he meant it and is looking forward to maybe a bit of relaxation.

in fairness i think we all deserve a rest, this season has even taken it out of the supporters. i`m feeling knackered

Yeah was much better in "The Good Ol' Days" when we celebrated our end of season with Turkey and all the trimmings ;-)

And in the new year the ground rocked to rousing choruses of "You're not fit to wear the shirt" as we hoped we'd have at least one goal to celebrate before the end of the season!

Just to demonstrate the impact of European games on League fixtures:

Athletico Madrid 3-0 down at ht to Osasuna (Barca lost yesterday too)

Marvin said:
Just to demonstrate the impact of European games on League fixtures:

Athletico Madrid 3-0 down at ht to Osasuna (Barca lost yesterday too)

Aye and we won. Here's hoping the above for next weeks participants ;-)

Just watching extended highlights on OS and I think it shows we were actually pretty good considering the bus Stoke parked. Didn't play nearly as bad as some on here are saying.

Well - City vs Stoke was a very frustrating game to watch, but it was totally expected. As I thought, Stoke came with a game plan and defended in numbers (usually 11 men behind the ball) and every time City had the ball they were faced with a wall of 4 or 5 Stoke Midfielders, and behind that line yet another 4 defenders.

We needed to be effective of the break and hit them at pace before they were able to get their men back behind the ball, but eachtime someone always slowed play up, took an extra touch or looked up too long for options - and in that hesitation it allowed Stoke every time to get everyone back again and into shape. Guess a lot of players had the midweek game in their legs still though.

For the above reasons, this made the game a poor one, awful to watch and certainly not an advert for football. One team trying to break down another doing everything to keep it at 0-0.

I was suprised that Jovetic didn't start up front. Seeing as he should have been fresh, and the fact that Dzeko and Negredo don't seem to be a good match. Very frustrated that Jovetic came off after only a few minutes injured. Hoepfully it was more precautionary. The guy obviously has a lot of talent, I have been very impressed with what I've seen off him the last few weeks. But it doesn't matter how good you are, ya can't go missing injured all the time. Some people are just like that aren't they - so he NEEDS to get over this recurring injury thing and fast.

The breakthrough, finally coming through Yaya Toure, with the tactical shift of moving him further forward up the pitch and having Javi Garcia playing the defensive midfield role.

Hmm, food for thought - Javi Garcia and Fernandinho both holding behind an attacking midfield trio of Nasri, Yaya Toure and Silva - behind Aguero as striker vs Barcelona anyone?

C-Hop25 said:
Well - City vs Stoke was a very frustrating game to watch, but it was totally expected. As I thought, Stoke came with a game plan and defended in numbers (usually 11 men behind the ball) and every time City had the ball they were faced with a wall of 4 or 5 Stoke Midfielders, and behind that line yet another 4 defenders.

We needed to be effective of the break and hit them at pace before they were able to get their men back behind the ball, but eachtime someone always slowed play up, took an extra touch or looked up too long for options - and in that hesitation it allowed Stoke every time to get everyone back again and into shape. Guess a lot of players had the midweek game in their legs still though.

For the above reasons, this made the game a poor one, awful to watch and certainly not an advert for football. One team trying to break down another doing everything to keep it at 0-0.

I was suprised that Jovetic didn't start up front. Seeing as he should have been fresh, and the fact that Dzeko and Negredo don't seem to be a good match. Very frustrated that Jovetic came off after only a few minutes injured. Hoepfully it was more precautionary. The guy obviously has a lot of talent, I have been very impressed with what I've seen off him the last few weeks. But it doesn't matter how good you are, ya can't go missing injured all the time. Some people are just like that aren't they - so he NEEDS to get over this recurring injury thing and fast.

The breakthrough, finally coming through Yaya Toure, with the tactical shift of moving him further forward up the pitch and having Javi Garcia playing the defensive midfield role.

Hmm, food for thought - Javi Garcia and Fernandinho both holding behind an attacking midfield trio of Nasri, Yaya Toure and Silva - behind Aguero as striker vs Barcelona anyone?

If they had 11 behind the ball then how are we supposed to hit them on the counter-attack??

prestonibbo_mcfc said:
Dzeko is getting a lot of criticism on here, but I'm getting really worried about Negredo. Since his injury
he has struggled and yesterday was anonymous most of the time.

Agreed. That injury looks to have stopped him dead. Quite why he was still on the pitch whilst 9_0 up is beyond me.

C-Hop25 said:
Good food. But that's not 4-4-2...

Decent opening 10 minutes, sloppy and slow the next 25, better again the last 10 minutes to cover the 1st 45 minutes with hardly any chances created and nothing to get excited about as a fan.
2nd 45 minutes there was one team playing the parked bus and they defended like Norwich the other day. Couldn't see us scoring when Jovetic went off only for Yaya to eat my thoughts. Should've lead 2-0 if Dzeko just simply tabbed the ball in. It would have made things easier and probably handed us a few more goals.

3 points, we didn't play well vs stubborn opposition, next up: Wem-ber-ley !!

they had 11 behind the ball then how are we supposed to hit them on the counter-attack??

They did have the ball the odd time themselves ya know? And when they went forward they lost shape and there was plenty of times we reclaimed the ball and could have exploited the space before they got back into shape, but we didn't.

Please watch the game for more information :)<br /><br />-- Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:53 am --<br /><br />
DruntBlunt said:
C-Hop25 said:
Good food. But that's not 4-4-2...

Do we have to play 4-4-2?

4-2-3-1 has worked nicely in the past and in my opinion would be appropriate this time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.