City v Stoke Post Match Thread

Performance was about as good as the traffic on Princess Rd.

Awful defending on their goal was biggest issue.

The Stoke gameplan will upon occasion work against City.

I'd like to say it's very harsh to single out individuals when the whole team played awful as a unit but Yaya was really off, again.

His usual laziness, lulling on the ball and moving the ball too slow. When he's really off it he just leaves his midfield partner in the shit having to do his job defensively as well.

Like someone said above, we just seem to struggle against certain teams like Stoke, Palace & Sunderland at home once they come and just set out to defend with 2 banks of four and work non stop. It isn't helped when we don't up the pace from kick off though.

Damanino said:
Fernandinho had no idea what is he doing in his 30 minutes he was on. Not sure anyone had in the first half in our team.

Stoke came with a clear gameplan, defend with 11 men, and if they get a counter try to make the most of it. It can get 3 points even at the Etihad it is sad.

too comfortable until they scored, makes me very angry we can step into another gear if we are behind vs smaller teams, instead of step into it right from the start and then at 2-0 maybe sit back a little bit. Much like this then inly really going for it when we are in trouble.

Agüero, Jovetic probably didnt have a shot on target together...
Piss poor.

We knew what to expect from Stoke. And they ended up with deserved 3 points.

Few more important dropped points at home and we will be looking to get around 80 points only.

16-3-0, 16-2-1, 17-1-1, be worse then these at home, and we only can win if we have nearly impossible away record.
So far its 1-0-1, and some real tough teams still will come.

We need to be ready big time for the week coming after break, play like this vs Arsenal, Bayern, Chelsea, and we will struggle to get a win in those 3 games.

Wow.

MSP said:
But to be honest, we weren't exactly amazing in first two games too. Good scores masked the fact we're nowhere near fit and nowhere near our top form.

Newcastle gave us good game but we're just too clinical for them. Liverpool dominated for most of first half but we've been extremely clinical in that game too, scored at perfect moment, and broke them with taking most of our chances.

It's bit worrying with games we have to play soon. Have to be much better vs Arsenal, Bayern and Chelsea or things could get nasty too soon.

Agreed. The assumption that we were in cruise control against the dippers was false. We were clinical thats all it was. We need to step up our performances in the next few games or we could be chasing Chelsea all season.

bugsyblue said:
We lost today because of our full backs and obviously a bit of bad luck and good strong defending from stoke. They deserve credit for their organisation and resilience today. However Kolarov didn't overlap more than once or twice all game, it was the poorest attacking game I've seen from him in a long time. And Sagna proved today how vital zab is to us. His runs are one dimensional and he very rarely gave us any options down the right.

I agree Stoke should get some credit. Why shouldn't they use dirty tricks and waste time? They're playing the current premier champions and won't go toe to toe.

Sagna made loads of runs but was ignored until Navas came on.

citymad said:
MSP said:
But to be honest, we weren't exactly amazing in first two games too. Good scores masked the fact we're nowhere near fit and nowhere near our top form.

Newcastle gave us good game but we're just too clinical for them. Liverpool dominated for most of first half but we've been extremely clinical in that game too, scored at perfect moment, and broke them with taking most of our chances.

It's bit worrying with games we have to play soon. Have to be much better vs Arsenal, Bayern and Chelsea or things could get nasty too soon.

Agreed. The assumption that we were in cruise control against the dippers was false. We were clinical thats all it was. We need to step up our performances in the next few games or we could be chasing Chelsea all season.

We've not had the usual "we won't make the top 4" shit from you yet....or have I missed it?

One of those days when every single player has a shocker. It happens every now and again. Unfortunately because of the competition this year the team that wins it cannot afford slip ups like that

In my opinion Sagna was no worse than anybody else but because he wouldn't (or couldn't) get down the wings it didn't open up the space through the middle that Yaya, Nasri and Silva usually exploit

Poor all round from City, from back to front.

The sluggishness and poor passing of Newcastle was mixed in with the low tempo of the 1st half against Liverpool (2nd half was mint tho) to create a bit of a horror show today.

In a perverse way, Im glad we didnt nick a point as the players might not get the kick up the arse they deserve.

Anyway, i trust things will improve. Slow start to proceedings but then we had 6 points after 2 games last year and i think we lost 4 of the opening 11 (?) last season too, so no fret. But please improve City! today was bobbins.

cookster said:
bugsyblue said:
We lost today because of our full backs and obviously a bit of bad luck and good strong defending from stoke. They deserve credit for their organisation and resilience today. However Kolarov didn't overlap more than once or twice all game, it was the poorest attacking game I've seen from him in a long time. And Sagna proved today how vital zab is to us. His runs are one dimensional and he very rarely gave us any options down the right.

I agree Stoke should get some credit. Why shouldn't they use dirty tricks and waste time? They're playing the current premier champions and won't go toe to toe.

Sagna made loads of runs but was ignored until Navas came on.

He made the same run all game, just down the line. Zab cuts inside and finds that space between centre back and full back. Navas was good though when he came on, stretched stoke with his pace. Nasri was woeful today unfortunately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.