City v Stoke Post Match Thread

kippaxking79 said:
Quagmire blue said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
crouch header second half across the face had hart rooted..as per
That header and the one straight after their goal where they smashed it across goal and their player (diouf?) just missed it.

Scary thing is that Stoke created MORE clear cut chances than we did - SHOCKING when you come to think of it.

Not if you understand that it is tough to create against a team that puts all its men behind the ball and a whole lot easier to find space against a team that is throwing men forward...

Let the Flappers flap.

Let the Doubters doubt.

Let the Faithless be without faith.

City had a bad game today but this always happens to all teams every season at some stage or other.

In football you get surprise results. I am surprised so many don't seem to realise this.

This season City will have far more excellent performances than poor ones like today.

I know this because we have a great team.

JJ

OB1 said:
kippaxking79 said:
Quagmire blue said:
That header and the one straight after their goal where they smashed it across goal and their player (diouf?) just missed it.

Scary thing is that Stoke created MORE clear cut chances than we did - SHOCKING when you come to think of it.

Not if you understand that it is tough to create against a team that puts all its men behind the ball and a whole lot easier to find space against a team that is throwing men forward...

What you mean you think it's easier to score here...
BwUyKpzIcAAS7vr.jpg
against one defender

Than it is here...
BwUxpvZIEAAJGLt.jpg
with 8+ players defending their goal.

We definitely need to find a way (I don't know what it is) to beat teams who will play like that against us. It will happen again this season and we need to have Plans A, B and C at the ready. I heard Pellegrini say that we used our most creative players today as a way to try and break them down but I just feel like there isn't space for that kind of magic and having Dzeko up here to get physical with their defenders might have been beer (although that has failed many times too).
And if pushing more and more men forward was our plan B then surely we learn today that only leaving one, already on a booking, player back when we had a corner isn't enough.

wagonman said:
Let the Flappers flap.

Let the Doubters doubt.

City had a bad game today but this always happens to all teams every season at some stage or other.

In football you get surprise results. I am surprised so many don't seem to realise this.

This season City will have far more excellent performances than poor ones like today.

JJ

Agreed.

City are so much better than what they showed against stoke. Chances are this will be the one bad performance of the season. Mangala will tighten the defense even more and Aguero will reach full fitness. Far far too much quality in the squad and experience to be anything less than serious challengers to repeat as champions.

wagonman said:
Let the Flappers flap.

Let the Doubters doubt.

JJ

If you and others write things like that in response to people ripping us apart on here after a day like today then you make a fair point, but surely the fewer days we have like today the more likely a good season can become a championship winning season? And surely analysing and problem solving days like today is a good way to attempt to decrease their frequency? I's not all doom and gloom at all, we have a better squad this season than I ever dreamed we'd have and I know this is still not even close to our peak, but days like today happening too frequently is what will stop us winning trophies this season.

Stokeybothener said:
I come in peace as a loyal stokie.

Went the game today and watching you today was like us against villa on our 1st home game.

I do think u underestimated us, u are not yet working to your full performance like last season.

A lot of your lot state that we parked the bus. Both teams only had 2 shots on target.

It seems like us (except when playing top 4) it seems possession figures mean more than the dangerous driving runs. Against both villa and hull we had all the possession but it was like watching England... All at the back and with the keeper.

I guess were just better at counter attack football nowadays. Last season we beat Chelsea, arsenal, manure drew to you boys. Just can't seem to finish of shit teams!

Fair play to you mate. Stoke deserved winners, I don't think we underestimated you, we just seem to struggle against disciplined teams who park the bus. Too much tiki taka football from us. Stoke played narrow and doubled up on each player who had the ball, Shawcross was outstanding.

Although disappointed I'm sure it wont be too damaging in the grand scheme of things. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing BUT Dzeko and Jovetic had to start again today, I understood the reasoning of playing both Kolarov and Sagna today and both were below par. Sagna impressed me at Arsenal with his overlapping runs and quality deliveries and I can only recall once he got to the byline and produced a cross today. I think it was just one of those days where we hit a brick wall, you cant turn it on every game you play. Onwards and upwards.

One other point is the amount of doom merchants near me today. Many fans on the backs of the players soon as we fall behind. We cant win every game and no game is easy in the Premiership. Too many spoilt people of late

My thoughts on that game................

Pissed off with the performance after getting up for a 2:00am kick-off.

Wasn't happy to see Sergio start, I thought he should have been introduced in the second half along with Navas when their players were tiring.
Right from the kick off I knew we would really struggle to break down their defence - we were far too slow with lots of side wards passes.
Thought Joe could have done better with his attempt to stop their goal.
Just hope that MP studies the game over and over and comes up with a way to break down this sort of defensive play because many teams will turn up with a game plan similar to Stoke's plan.
Perhaps this result will be a massive wake-up call. We are the Champions and teams will try even harder to beat us.

Lying in bed trying to get to sleep I just wondered if some players thought that Stoke would have been easy to break down after the way we played Liverpool.

Bad day all round,unfortunately when Silva is off his game,we struggle as a team to breakthrough.
Too many poor performances from key men today,it's all part of this wonderful game.That was a very frustrating game to watch,aimless corners going to the beanpole,most crosses in the air to our small players...made it easier for Stoke to cope with,and when we did play along the floor we did create decent chances.I would drop Joe Hart,it worked well last season.Zabaleta and Dzeko ought to have played from the start,possibly even Milner.

We played too average, need to stop respecting teams. No mercy.

We will be fine, hopefully this a big wake up call

dajd1984 said:
OB1 said:
kippaxking79 said:

What you mean you think it's easier to score here...
BwUyKpzIcAAS7vr.jpg
against one defender

Than it is here...
BwUxpvZIEAAJGLt.jpg
with 8+ players defending their goal.

We definitely need to find a way (I don't know what it is) to beat teams who will play like that against us. It will happen again this season and we need to have Plans A, B and C at the ready. I heard Pellegrini say that we used our most creative players today as a way to try and break them down but I just feel like there isn't space for that kind of magic and having Dzeko up here to get physical with their defenders might have been beer (although that has failed many times too).
And if pushing more and more men forward was our plan B then surely we learn today that only leaving one, already on a booking, player back when we had a corner isn't enough.
unfortunately whichever way you look at it this is a style that teams across the continent struggle with, not just us. We've seen the likes of Barca, Bayern, Arse, and Chelsea struggle against teams packing 10 men behind the ball. There is no sure fire way to beat it, you just have to keep probing and the higher quality your players are (like ours) the more likely it is that you will find a breakthrough. As I have said before though I think a direct winger/playmaker type person such as Reus would help most in breaking these buses down. And of course if we get Falcao he will win a ton of headers in the box.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.