City v Swans post match thread

The angle I was watching from is behind Yaya & it looked like an absolute golazo from there. But it'll certainly do. This kind of shit has kept the rags in the top area for quite a few seasons now.
giphy.gif

This is going to be an interesting conundrum for the next manager to solve, because imo it's been the case for years. Mancini's team masked it by being more solid in the middle, but we have never had a side which can really compete in that area. We've had the strength & power but never the workrate. The current (lack of) system just highlights it.
Its certainly a factor that annoys me, when you watch the best teams, in general they to a man work hard, especially without the ball, making it hard for an opponent to get through, they might occasionally have a blip, for us the blip is the other way round, like Tuesday night, where we did work hard off the ball, yesterday there was none, it was like we were just waiting for Swansea to give us the ball back, rather than try and win it ourselves, until they equalised, when suddenly we started pressing them for it. Fatigue has something to do with it, but at the point in the game yesterday when we should have been most fatigued, we suddenly found it in ourselves to do it, maybe the subs helped that, but for very long periods we just didn't, and our attacking players are often the most guilty, did Bony even attempt a tackle yesterday for instance ?

Its certainly a factor that annoys me, when you watch the best teams, in general they to a man work hard, especially without the ball, making it hard for an opponent to get through, they might occasionally have a blip, for us the blip is the other way round, like Tuesday night, where we did work hard off the ball, yesterday there was none, it was like we were just waiting for Swansea to give us the ball back, rather than try and win it ourselves, until they equalised, when suddenly we started pressing them for it. Fatigue has something to do with it, but at the point in the game yesterday when we should have been most fatigued, we suddenly found it in ourselves to do it, maybe the subs helped that, but for very long periods we just didn't, and our attacking players are often the most guilty, did Bony even attempt a tackle yesterday for instance ?

Tbf Bony did attempt a tackle & immediately received a yellow card ;)

If we go back to the Bayern game from a few years ago, Muller shamed Aguero & Dzeko after the game, for their lack of effort without the ball & said how it would be completely unacceptable in a Bayern team. DeBoer said they played on Aguero when he was used in a wider position because they knew he wouldn't try. If we are ever going to press, he must also shape up in that area, or we need a superman in midfield.

Yesterday, we often had Bony plus Silva up top, stood watching when the ball came into our half, jogging back behind everyone else, effectively at those moments making our formation the old 4222 again. But with those two, that makes no tactical sense, as neither can run in behind if we get the ball back, so they are doubly useless in that system when we lose the ball.

V Borussia, even though the scoreline was wrong, I think we benefitted from starting with a 3 in the middle. It wasn't obvious but some things we did were spot on, then later in the game, we were able to run, because as a team we hadn't been over stretched, thus we could go balls out & overpower them. Silva & Yaya were full of running 2nd half there.

We are eventually going to have to pick a team that does this I think, as it's the way football is going. Whether someone like Pep can get our current players running more I don't know. But if he comes, & he can't, some will be out on their arses very quickly.

Tbf Bony did attempt a tackle & immediately received a yellow card ;)

If we go back to the Bayern game from a few years ago, Muller shamed Aguero & Dzeko after the game, for their lack of effort without the ball & said how it would be completely unacceptable in a Bayern team. DeBoer said they played on Aguero when he was used in a wider position because they knew he wouldn't try. If we are ever going to press, he must also shape up in that area, or we need a superman in midfield.

Yesterday, we often had Bony plus Silva up top, stood watching when the ball came into our half, jogging back behind everyone else, effectively at those moments making our formation the old 4222 again. But with those two, that makes no tactical sense, as neither can run in behind if we get the ball back, so they are doubly useless in that system when we lose the ball.

V Borussia, even though the scoreline was wrong, I think we benefitted from starting with a 3 in the middle. It wasn't obvious but some things we did were spot on, then later in the game, we were able to run, because as a team we hadn't been over stretched, thus we could go balls out & overpower them. Silva & Yaya were full of running 2nd half there.

We are eventually going to have to pick a team that does this I think, as it's the way football is going. Whether someone like Pep can get our current players running more I don't know. But if he comes, & he can't, some will be out on their arses very quickly.

Good post.

If Pep comes and we see the same players not putting in the required work rate then the pressure will be firmly on Txiki as well as recruitment has to get it right to give the system and manager half a chance.

Or he might use some kids & get them doing it.

If he deems them ready im sure he will and to be fair, there are a few in and around the match day squad now regularly including Kalechi who is going to be a world star imo.

The academy was never going to see players coming through straight away and it has to be given the time to produce. The early signs are incredible imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.