City vs Barca - Post Match Thread

Had a bit of time after last night to think and assess the game, I thought we played exceptionally well given the type of players we were playing against, the first half was a monumental example of a defensively disciplined effort in stifling their chances and also their best player. Considering the amount of possession they had they had one chance in the first half and that was a Xavi long range shot which was pretty comfortable for Joe. I feel it all went wrong when we got more involved in the game and once it opened up a little, the second we started to have chances we started pushing up and then the discipline at the back went just for a second and that was the difference for the penalty.

That lapse at the back for a millisecond to allow Iniesta to thread that ball through is what cost us and at this level it's what can cost you the tie. It is arguable that the error was completely down to us expecting the foul on Navas to be given and losing it a bit but really at this level you have to be on your game for 90 minutes and that is why they keep the ball to try and force us into making mistakes. Other than that though I thought we were very comfortable in terms of keeping it at 0-0, whether we would go on and score though in hindsight I don't know. You cannot falt the defence though because I don't think anyone put a foot wrong apart from that millisecond which let Messi go through.

After the sending off I think we came more into the game simply because we had to and we had a bit of possession and tried to get forward, we made quite a few chances but the finishing touch just wasn't there and again you talk about the difference between the sides and even with 10 men I thought we were in terms of trying to score the better team because they just relied on keeping the ball and waiting for that chance. I thought we shackled Messi very well and Kompany showed that he is WORLD class, he really is, I would not take a single centre back in the world over him and his performance summed up just how good he is on his game. There was a time when Clichy got down the left and into their box and squared it straight to their keeper which I think summed up the game for us, we just didn't have a cutting edge with the little amount of the ball we had and really their last goal was a result of just losing it towards the end of the game.

I think we played exceptionally well positionally and as a disciplined unit and the tactics were absolutely bang on in terms of selecting a team to deal with them. The game was never a formality for them, they just rather played with the illusion that they were dominating because of the possession they had but in terms of chances I think we have to see this as a chance lost because of being poor in the final third. We were by far the better team when it came to looking to score in the final third.

Other than that it was a monumental effort from the entire team to stay disciplined and deal with them, I don't agree with MP that the referee cost us the game but he certainly didn't allow us any leeway when it came to tackles we would get away with in the Premier League but it isn't really much of an excuse. The sending off was definitely a sending off but it wasn't a penalty and obviously there was a clear foul on Navas, that's the only thing I really think he got wrong. I still think we should of let Messi go through and if he scores, he scores but at least we start again with 11 men on the pitch. With 10 we were always going to struggle to get the ball enough to make chances, we still did but against Barcelona with 10 men you only really see enough of the ball to make 1 or 2 really good chances and we didn't even look close to taking them.

I think with Aguero back and with us having nothing to lose, we can definitely beat them at the Nou Camp but whether that will be enough to progress I don't know. If we can score 2 and bring it level then we have the advantage of a 3rd goal winning it because of the away goal but still it is going to take a truly special night over there to progress but I think we will still win.

Taking a different mentality out there and a team with Aguero we can score goals against this Barcelona, whether we can keep them out is the question. We put 3 past Bayern, against a much tougher defence, and with all due respect a second string. Obviously we will need some luck and defend heroically but we have to remain positive despite the majority writing us off. An early goal over there will change everything, and I do believe if we go one up, they'll crack.

Don't write us off yet.

inbetween said:
Had a bit of time after last night to think and assess the game, I thought we played exceptionally well given the type of players we were playing against, the first half was a monumental example of a defensively disciplined effort in stifling their chances and also their best player. Considering the amount of possession they had they had one chance in the first half and that was a Xavi long range shot which was pretty comfortable for Joe. I feel it all went wrong when we got more involved in the game and once it opened up a little, the second we started to have chances we started pushing up and then the discipline at the back went just for a second and that was the difference for the penalty.

That lapse at the back for a millisecond to allow Iniesta to thread that ball through is what cost us and at this level it's what can cost you the tie. It is arguable that the error was completely down to us expecting the foul on Navas to be given and losing it a bit but really at this level you have to be on your game for 90 minutes and that is why they keep the ball to try and force us into making mistakes. Other than that though I thought we were very comfortable in terms of keeping it at 0-0, whether we would go on and score though in hindsight I don't know. You cannot falt the defence though because I don't think anyone put a foot wrong apart from that millisecond which let Messi go through.

After the sending off I think we came more into the game simply because we had to and we had a bit of possession and tried to get forward, we made quite a few chances but the finishing touch just wasn't there and again you talk about the difference between the sides and even with 10 men I thought we were in terms of trying to score the better team because they just relied on keeping the ball and waiting for that chance. I thought we shackled Messi very well and Kompany showed that he is WORLD class, he really is, I would not take a single centre back in the world over him and his performance summed up just how good he is on his game. There was a time when Clichy got down the left and into their box and squared it straight to their keeper which I think summed up the game for us, we just didn't have a cutting edge with the little amount of the ball we had and really their last goal was a result of just losing it towards the end of the game.

I think we played exceptionally well positionally and as a disciplined unit and the tactics were absolutely bang on in terms of selecting a team to deal with them. The game was never a formality for them, they just rather played with the illusion that they were dominating because of the possession they had but in terms of chances I think we have to see this as a chance lost because of being poor in the final third. We were by far the better team when it came to looking to score in the final third.

Other than that it was a monumental effort from the entire team to stay disciplined and deal with them, I don't agree with MP that the referee cost us the game but he certainly didn't allow us any leeway when it came to tackles we would get away with in the Premier League but it isn't really much of an excuse. The sending off was definitely a sending off but it wasn't a penalty and obviously there was a clear foul on Navas, that's the only thing I really think he got wrong. I still think we should of let Messi go through and if he scores, he scores but at least we start again with 11 men on the pitch. With 10 we were always going to struggle to get the ball enough to make chances, we still did but against Barcelona with 10 men you only really see enough of the ball to make 1 or 2 really good chances and we didn't even look close to taking them.

I think with Aguero back and with us having nothing to lose, we can definitely beat them at the Nou Camp but whether that will be enough to progress I don't know. If we can score 2 and bring it level then we have the advantage of a 3rd goal winning it because of the away goal but still it is going to take a truly special night over there to progress but I think we will still win.

really good, thoughtful post, I agree

Was there last night and have just watched it back in full.

Imo our best performance individually and collectively for as long as I can remember.

Barcelona are fucking outrageously technically brilliant players. Their movement, intelligence and manipulation of the opponent's shape is like nothing I've ever seen 'live'.

I dont care what Kompany says they're easily the best team we've ever played against and I include Bayern in that.

To go toe to toe with such a team and restrict them to very few chances, whilst creating a pleasing number ourselves was quite frankly outstanding.

In reality they scored through a wrongly awarded penalty and a last minute goal against a team who'd run their bollocks off for 90+ minutes, 35 of which were with 10 men.

We showed last night we belong to be in the top echelons of european football. We showed we can truly mix it with the very best. Barcelona 1000% new they were in a game. Even with 10 men we were toe to toe with them and could've forced a draw or got a win.

Individually I think every single player (MDM included) had an absolute blinder and gave 110%. If we continue to play like that domestically we should wipe the floor with every competition we play in.

Kompany, Yaya, Fernandinho and Silva were absolutely world class and were a joy to watch.

The luck didn't fall our way. Perhaps in the away leg it might.

Stoned Rose said:

Imo our best performance individually and collectively for as long as I can remember.

Barcelona are fucking outrageously technically brilliant players. Their movement, intelligence and manipulation of the opponent's shape is like nothing I've ever seen 'live'.

I dont care what Kompany says they're easily the best team we've ever played against and I include Bayern in that.

To go toe to toe with such a team and restrict them to very few chances, whilst creating a pleasing number ourselves was quite frankly outstanding.

In reality they scored through a wrongly awarded penalty and a last minute goal against a team who'd run their bollocks off for 90+ minutes, 35 of which were with 10 men.

We showed last night we belong to be in the top echelons of european football. We showed we can truly mix it with the very best. Barcelona 1000% new they were in a game. Even with 10 men we were toe to toe with them and could've forced a draw or got a win.

Individually I think every single player (MDM included) had an absolute blinder and gave 110%. If we continue to play like that domestically we should wipe the floor with every competition we play in.

Kompany, Yaya, Fernandinho and Silva were absolutely world class and were a joy to watch.

That's EXACTLY how I saw it too. Was a bit puzzled when I saw the way it had been covered by most of the media this morning.

Stoned Rose said:

Agree with this entirely!

Barca are an immense team. We are just learning. People forget too easily where we came from. Great performance.. but we could never be expected to win. Yeah we could have... but we couldnt expect to.

Everyone needs to relax a bit. Even the Dimichelis haters. It wasnt all his fault.

Frankly, I'll be happy if we win the League Cup, make the FA cup final and come at least 2nd in the league. I'll hope we win the league but no drama if we don't.

We were a bit too rushed in a decision making for my liking but the effort was tremendous especially when we went to ten men.

There is no shame in losing to Barcelona. They are still up there whatever dickhead Mourinho says.

Their closing down, movement and decision making was superb at times.

It makes me laugh rags, arsenal and Chelsea fans laughing at us. None of those sides would beat Barca this year.

Long term though we definitely need to make 2/3 signings of the highest quality to really compete at the top table.

I looked at their line up last night and I would probably take any of their first 11 for our side. If they could do the same with us I reckon maybe 5/6 would have a chance. We need to get that up to 7/8 to really dominate in Europe.

You can tell that a lot of our fans on here are not used to CL knockout football. This isn't like a group game where we can just go for it and make amends another time. It is a 180 minute match and Pellegrini got his tactics spot on yesterday. Even Gary Linekar tweeted at half time saying it was a tactical masterclass from Pellers.

The game plan was clear, keep it tight and compressed at the back and then break with pace. People are saying we should have just gone for it but we tried that against Bayern at home and got outplayed. The plan was to not concede and play on the counter till around 60 odd mins and then bring on Nasri and go for it. Unfortunately the sending off put a stop to that.

The game plan to stop Messi was obvious, get to the ball before he does and don't let him settle on the ball. Vinny and Demichellis executed that perfectly and after the opening 10 mins where he was shaky I though Demichellis had his best game for us.

We could argue all night about the decisions but the sending off was 100% correct however it was never a penalty. Also the free kick that wasn't given on Navas was 50/50, if that was in a league game id be saying that it was never a foul. However in the context of last night, Barca go so many soft free kicks that there was no way it wasn't a foul. If that was a challenge on Messi, Farbragas or Iniesta rather than Navas the ref gives the free kick all day long.

Pellegrini was spot on to play the tactical game yesterday but I feel we are at our best when we just go for it. Being 2-0 down in the 2nd leg means we will have to play our natural game. The target has to be to score 3 over in Spain which means we can take a chance to start with because if we concede it doesn't really alter the outcome.

Dubai Blue said:
Stoned Rose said:

That's EXACTLY how I saw it too. Was a bit puzzled when I saw the way it had been covered by most of the media this morning.

A lot of blue tinted specs in this part of the thread. Kompany - as much as I love him and wouldn't swap him for his commitment and leadership - isn't quite world class because he switches off - he did so for the goal - as that ball from Iniesta was played through, he didn't know where Messi was.
Keeping my tin hat on - as good as the 4 players named above were on the night (and apart from Silva, I don't think any of them were world class on the night), would Barca fans have wanted to swap any of their players for ours? I doubt it.
But, what we will never know - if Messi had been out for that game and Aguero had been fit for us , it might well have been very different. So, the 2nd leg could still be interesting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.