City vs Barca - Post Match Thread

M24 Citizen said:
The wording of those rules sounds wrong to me anyway.

Is a "tackle" not a successful gaining of the ball, where a "foul" would be an unsuccessful challenge without first touching the ball?

You're right, but if the referee determines it excessive (i.e. tackle from behind or two footed) it is still a free kick/sending off. The player successfully got the ball, but used excessive /dangerous play to do so.

Overall I think it was more than a decent performance last night from us.
Lets be honest - just how many people seriously thought we would beat Barca over 2 games?
Possible? Yes. Probable? No. They are the best or second best club team on the planet.
I thought we did well to restrict them the way we did in the second half of which we played the majority with only 10 men.
Obviously the second goal was the killer and they new it from the way they celebrated. Our defence could have done better
and so could have Joe but sometimes thats the way it goes.
I thought MP's team selection was pretty much spot on and had he played Lescott from the off he would have been targeted
and I'm not sure how he would have coped. The ref was far from helpful but thats what we have to learn about and cope with in the CL.
I thinks MP's comments after the game were a little bit unprofessional - he should have known better. Not having him in the dug out at Barca
will not do the club, the team or him any good at all.
The game was unchartered territory for us and we must use it as a learning exercise and a stepping stone to progress as a team.
We came out of last nights game with a lot of credit and we move onwards and upwards.
I think Stoke on Saturday just may feel the backlash.

Stoned Rose said:
robbieh said:
Didsbury Dave said:
More than ridiculous. Embarrassing. Likkle City syndrome in full view.

I hate how some of our fans are blind to how good our players really are. And then they throw "blue tinted specs" at those who aren't blind like them. It's like they think that they are being clever.

Not blind just objective.

Valdes
Alves Mascherano Pique Alba
Silva yAYA Busquets Iniesta
Messi Negredo

That would be a combined team from last night.

I know it is virtual a capital offence on here to criticize Kompany but his distribution is often pretty aimless. And so was MDM's last night which is strange for him. They both kept giving the ball back to Barca in the first half.

Pique / Mascherano better CBs than Kompany?

Busquets better than Fernandinho?

You;re entitled to your opinion but with opinions like that don't expect many on here to read your posts in future.

The way you and a few others are talking on here I am surprised we didn't wallop Barca. The fact remains that Kompany last night gave away possession far to easily at times. Something the two Barca CBs didn't. Fernandidnho did have a great game and maybe I should have put him ahead of Busquets. But that is my honest summation of what I saw.

The emboldened bit is a touch arrogant. Stating the obvious this is a forum where we can express different opinions.

Also,to be fair to Demi, he marshalled Messi very well and was quite good throught his 52 mins prior to the red.....

I moved to the excellent blue moon forum when the M.E.N. went tits up and I must say its great to put all things city into prospective However one disappointment remains, the Barca match last night and indeed any match we play, There are ,on both sides contributors that are rude when an opinion doesn't fit in with a blue tinted glasses fan or a fan that says it how it is pulling no punches Surely the very nature of disagreement and people having a different opinion is why this forum is so excellently good we are all fanatical blue fans who love the bones of our club , shit or good , lets leave the nastiness to the prawn munchers at the swamp

I am reading lots of comments elsewhere that the ref favoured City just as much as Barca.

At work the Utd fans referred to the Fabregas goal that was disallowed, but they only got that because of the sending off in the 1st place. That changed the entire game. He was yellow carding City players for nothing offences and preventing City from tackling. It was too dangerous to tackle a Barca player as no ne knew what the ref was going to do. At half time, the majority of the talk was about the ref and not the game itself and the main incident had not even happened yet.

They forget how angry they were when Nani was sent off last season, and that was just one incident. We had it every 5 minutes. He turned an excited happy crowd into a seething mass by about 8pm.

robbieh said:
The way you and a few others are talking on here I am surprised we didn't wallop Barca. The fact remains that Kompany last night gave away possession far to easily at times. Something the two Barca CBs didn't. Fernandidnho did have a great game and maybe I should have put him ahead of Busquets. But that is my honest summation of what I saw.

The emboldened bit is a touch arrogant. Stating the obvious this is a forum where we can express different opinions.

Not as good? I think your on your own with this one......

Do you not think there's a very good reason Barca were tapping him up for a couple of seasons.

FantasyIreland said:
robbieh said:

Not as good? I think your on your own with this one......

Do you not think there's a very good reason Barca were tapping him up for a couple of seasons.
Nah no chance, he gave the ball away too much in one game against one of the best clubs in the world. Bin him.

Reflecting back on last night, I think the club as a whole wanted to be seen to the watching world and to Barca as the perfect hosts. We seemed so determined to make it a spectacular event, a statement of our arrival at the CL big table and an entertainment to delight all who came or watched. That's the way we started and for the first 20 minutes Barca must have thought it was not much of a step us from a training session. We forgot it was a football match like any other where we needed to start bright, confidently and on the front foot. The team looked edgy, almost nervous and we clearly gave them too much respect. Basic mistakes in passing turning over possession with alarming frequency.

We very slowly got into our stride and could have even gone in at HT ahead had Negredo done better with the two headers that came his way. To our credit we re-shaped after the penalty and red card for Dimichelis and with the impressive Nasri linking with SIlva and Yaya we had much more controlled possession in their half. Just a shame we switched off for their second which was a poor goal but tiredness must have been a factor for Clichy's role in it.

We are probably the only team that go away to Barca 2 down with a chance of turning it around. They are not impregnable. If we've got a first choice fully fit team out plus a bit of over confidence from them then it's not over yet. If we pinch a first half goal then the pressure will be all on them.

It was reassuring to see last night that our faith in Silva was fully displayed last night. He'd walk into their team without breaking sweat. The man's technical ability was a level above Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas et al. No argument about it. Kompany also showed his world class ability. Nasri looked a class act. Totally looked the part I felt. Othes didn't look up to it at this level - Kolarov, Negredo (poor run of form recently), Navas, Dimichelis, Lescott, Dzeko - all good players but a class down on their opponents.

Proud of the fight we showed, glad I was there and we'll be better for the experience. Still 90 minutes in this tie.

It's gone we move on I take great heart from some aspects of our performance last night (we weren't that much worse than them) in fact in attacking terms we carried the bigger threat for large portions of the match.We got pulled out of position, went to sleep for a second and got punished after defending really well up until the penalty and MDM red and tbh Messi was totally anonymous for long periods, okay we didn't get much help from Billy Barca in the refs shirt but hey ho it happens in football.I love Pell I like his reading of games and tactical ability to change and improve things he see's going wrong, his changes instantly improved our attacking options.My only gripe is that maybe he was a little over cautious with his team selection (i'd have played Naz and Jovetic from the start) but make no mistake as a European club super power we are a couple of signings from being in amongst them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.