City vs Dortmund (Friendly) Post Match Thread

He played midfield mate , his natural position , think a move to Wolves OR Fulham would be a good move for him , he will get games

Having watch it in the early hours i thought he played LB in a four which occasionally switched to a 3 at the back where he came inside, but stayed predominantly on the left.

His mistakes came when he pressed to high against the fast and skilful (american) right wing forward. Mainly down to pace and position.

He's a kid that's being asked to play a complex position, very unfair to judge him.

My own feelings are that he has the potential to play the deep midfield role or a cm role, but I don't see his career being at LB.

Bolton did a similar role but didn't get as deep infield as Zinc's.

Odd comment from a Yank on Chessy's video. He was complaining about the lack of stars for City, whilst wearing a Dortmund shirt.

Mustn't have noticed that the World Cup has just been on?

a glorified training match. we can't really read too much into this match or really judge the players. everyone played alright, but it would be very different for say foden, with lots of first team players to link up with.

it would have been better to just play matches in england imo.

Last edited:
There are multiple reasons why the ICC is a good thing and many clubs view it as important. Firstly, most years it allows managers to make assessments of their teams versus the better teams in other leagues around the world. As stated by previous posters, it is a lot more telling to watch our kids play against Dortmund than a lower division side. Having it over here in the US and other countries is fantastic for marketing and growing the fan base. It also is very good for team spirit, assuming there are not cancers in the locker room. Obviously, world cup years are much harder than non-world cup years.

A few months back, there was a great interview with Charlie Stillitano who is the face of the ICC. He said that the first year, it was hard to convince teams to come play in a meaningless tournament in pre-season. But he was able to raise enough money to convince a few teams to come but I think the rags were by far the biggest. The teams that came all did very well during that season. The next year was a little bit easier to get teams to come so the tournament grew and the cost paid was less. Again, those teams that participated did very well during the season. A few of the managers at that time started talking publicly how going up against good competition in the pre-season really helped get the team focused before the season started. It also helped to show where help was needed, etc. Now, teams are begging to come play. They love that they get fans excited to watch them play a meaningless game. The competition to be a part of the ICC has gotten strong enough that now teams aren't compensated, and some of them even pay for their own hotel stays, etc. So the cost of putting on this even gets smaller and smaller. Some countries are now coming to the table offering up some strong incentives to try and get some matches played in their country. Its how there have been matches in Australia and China and that list is likely to grow a little bit over the next few years.

I thought Foden was excellent. I thought that Mahrez was good on the ball, but you could tell that he doesn't really know the style of play as of yet. In the first half, our defensive shape was way too fluid. There were just too many openings for Dortmund to exploit But it improved as the match went along. I think on the whole, the team played pretty well. Sure there were some bad calls. Those things will happen during the season. I was impressed with how calm on the ball the younger players were. While our team didn't win, holding your own against a team that is far closer to their starting 11 than yours is pretty telling of the talent level. I think the guys we saw play last night would be able to stay in the PL if they were a team of their own. Just a lot of talent, but not a lot of experience.

Odd comment from a Yank on Chessy's video. He was complaining about the lack of stars for City, whilst wearing a Dortmund shirt.

Mustn't have noticed that the World Cup has just been on?
Some yanks are too busy playing fifa and not understanding football to notice much

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.