City Vs Roma Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
mastermind said:
sgerlat said:
de niro said:
and you are underestimating us.

decent team ? yes. will we beat them? bigger yes.

You really are underestimating Roma, I don't think you ever watched any of our matches in the last 2 years or so, if you're so sure. Not that you should follow la Serie A.

I do agree when you say City shouldn't fear any opposing team, that's a mentality issue, and I do believe you're better side with slightly better chances of winning the forthcoming challenge, but there's no way a team with De Rossi-Strootman-Iturbe-Castan-Astori injured with still a good bench too, which manage to win them all nonetheless, scoring 5 goals in 50 minutes after a 4 year hiatus from CL, can be just decent and easily beatable.

Having said that the 4-3-3 is overall much more versatile, balanced e unpredictable than any 4-4-2, despite the actors, playing both Djeko and Aguero from the start would be a huge tactical mistake, it could have devasting consequences.

The worst error you could make against Roma is leaving the midfield exposed letting us control the game, tiki-taka style.

I'm not being biased here.

As Pellegrini says .. formations are irrelevant telephone numbers .

You don't automatically win the game if you have more possession . The only stat that matters is the score line.

Roma are a good side in Seria A , but they haven't been tested in Europe .. I think you're on the same level as Everton or Shalke . We could easily beat you 5-0 but it all depends on what kind of mood the players are in and what kind of mood the crowd is in.

Yeah, right... and then there's the marmot who puts the chocolate in the alu-foil.

If a Bosnian native, who supposedly support City and follows Roma because of Pjanic, registers to this forum and says he would drop Djeko in this particular match, I think you have to trust him.

Formations are telephone numbers I agree but that doesn't mean playing Milner wouldn't be a smart move, it really makes too much sense not to do it.

Anyway I said tiki-taka in reference to our inclination of controlling the game, which doesn't make our possession futile: moving the defence, building the offense and scoring are still our main goals. We don't look in the mirror just to see how splendid we are, which why Guardiola was often criticized, we are aware we're not that good, we're still humble.

The fact that Serie A is shite doesn't make Everton or Shalke better, plus they are not as commanding in their style of playing. Like the other Roma's fan said rightly "we won't be parking the bus", not a chance, this is probably the only thing I know.

You're being disrespectful to us or maybe just arrogant, treating us like we're a team with a bunch of adrift youngsters , we're not, we've got a great melting pot of youngsters with potential and veterans.

We are untested, you're right but when the quality is there you just need to show it, experience won't be much of an issue. Anyway Maicon, Keita (x2) and Cole, won the trophy and Pjanic reached the semi scoring the equalizer at Bernabeu when he was 19yo. Totti, De Rossi, Torosids, Holebas, Manolas, De Santis, Gervinho, all have CL's matched under their belt, you're talking like they have no clue of European football whatsoever.

Stootman, ok he's injured, wasn't made Holland captain at the age of 22, despite the presence of players like Robben, Snejder and Van Persie, by chance, which is basically the equivalent of "Rome wasn't build in day", great song btw, and as far as I'm concerned he joined Roma not Everton or Schalke, despite being after him, that may address your questioning related to "who's better" towards us. I could also say that Baines and possibly Lukaku, I'm not even sure, would be the only 2 starting for us and that their best defender, Jagielka, would be like the 4th or 5th of our rotation.

We need testing, I get it, give us a bit of time.

I was just politely pointing out our weknesses and strenghts, there's no need to be a prick, I'm not a rag, I hate them too.

Returning to the topic, I've just heard De Sanctis, our starting goalie, likely won't be playing, a major blow this is. His replacement, SKorupski, is seriously inexperienced and untested at any level, which would also be his seasonal debut. His phisicality is imposing but he's not as commanding, he doesn't instill confidence to the department like De Sanctis is used to. I'm a bit worried, it doesn't look good.

P.s. Implying that the possibility of easily scoring 5 goals is up to the crowd's involvement is just priceless.

blue b4 the moon said:
We will need to play Milner with Fern and bench Navas if we use both Edin and Kun but doing that would leave us slow gong forward against a packed defence and with CL refs the match will be a stop/start foul fest.

I'd go with one up front and play Navas.

Yes I agree with you. I really don't understand some of the fans in this forum who basically think Roma are in the champions league to make up the numbers or are here by some kind of accident. I can't stress enough how dynamic and strong they are going forward. Those who think it will be a snooze fest are totally wrong. Roma will not get 11 men behind the ball and look for a counter attack. There will be lots of chances for both sides and possibly lots of goals.

I'm glad we played Chelsea a few days ago.

The players will be very well prepared and ready for this.

I hope the fans are too. Not enough just to turn up and take your seats. Got to be up for this

sgerlat said:
de niro said:
Kun Aguero said:
You are underestimating Roma.

You really are underestimating Roma, I don't think you ever watched any of our matches in the last 2 years or so, if you're so sure. Not that you should follow la Serie A.

I do agree when you say City shouldn't fear any opposing team, that's a mentality issue, and I do believe you're better side with slightly better chances of winning the forthcoming challenge, but there's no way a team with De Rossi-Strootman-Iturbe-Castan-Astori injured with still a good bench too, which manage to win them all nonetheless, scoring 5 goals in 50 minutes after a 4 year hiatus from CL, can be just decent and easily beatable.

Having said that the 4-3-3 is overall much more versatile, balanced e unpredictable than any 4-4-2, despite the actors, playing both Djeko and Aguero from the start would be a huge tactical mistake, it could have devasting consequences.

The worst error you could make against Roma is leaving the midfield exposed letting us control the game, tiki-taka style.

not underestimating roma, once city take to the field the other team are second favourites. roma may be a good side but city are outstanding. given a fair ref (laughs) we'll win this tie and make progress.

de niro said:
sgerlat said:
de niro said:

not underestimating roma, once city take to the field the other team are second favourites. roma may be a good side but city are outstanding. given a fair ref (laughs) we'll win this tie and make progress.

Did I said you're not favourite? I missed that part, I'm sorry.

I know CIty is outstanding but at least show the opposing fan some respect.

de niro said:
sgerlat said:
de niro said:

We are an outstanding team, yes, but I would argue we have only ever shown that domestically.

We have looked second rate in Europe for the past few seasons, even when we were in the Europa League a few years back when our squad was clearly the best in the competition.

This Roma side look very good and are a team better than the sum of it's parts, plus the coach, Rudi Garcia, is destined for big things in my opinion.

I do think they will setup for a draw because for them it's a good result, it would mean us having to go to Rome on the last day likely needing to win that match.

Bolo1982 said:
Hi all, I am Bosnian and I think that Dzeko should be dropped for this one and you should just play Sergio as a lone striker. The reason for my thinking is because I have been following Roma for a couple of seasons now (mainly because our Pjanic plays there) and I can tell you that Roma are seriously good. I don't think some of you guys realise just how strong this team is. They will punish you if you give them too much space. I even think they will cause Bayern enough problems and they will take points of them. 4-4-2 is not the right approach for this match.

Spot on.

mastermind said:
sgerlat said:
de niro said:

As Pellegrini says .. formations are irrelevant telephone numbers .

You don't automatically win the game if you have more possession . The only stat that matters is the score line.

Roma are a good side in Seria A , but they haven't been tested in Europe .. I think you're on the same level as Everton or Shalke . We could easily beat you 5-0 but it all depends on what kind of mood the players are in and what kind of mood the crowd is in.

Roma's better than Everton, nearer Arsenal.

Roma is the best team from pot 4, making our group (again) the most difficult of all the others. Roma had a great season last year, when their start to the league is even more impressive. Not just that they won their 5 matches (in itself a great achievement), more the way they did it. They have a great manager who let them play in an unfamilair way to most Serie A-teams. Actually Roma are a joy to watch.

Some on here go on about the Serie A falling down it's grace. Well, Premier League teams (unfortunately City being one of them) aren't performing very well either when it comes to European football, and not close to the stature of the Premier League world wide. Yes, Chelsea won it. But we all remember how fortunate they were match after match.

I think we are favourites because we play at home. We are favourites because I think we have the better team. But if any of our players go in to this game looking down on rome or Serie A some on here do, we will get punished. Roma will come for a draw and Italian teams are masters in getting results. They will bring fanatical fans with them and the game will going to be decided not by formations, but by incidents, lucky flicks, refereeing descisions and whatever we know can happen within 90 minutes. We need to win this one, Roma doesn't need to. The pressure is on us, not on them. Roma will start from a position they absolutely cherish.

I just hope we win it and I don't mind the way we manage it.

Kolarov has quite rightly called out our levels of support today, ahead of the Roma game.

How we are noisy for a couple of minutes but then all goes quiet. How, for a five minute period, we inspired the team to get a result against Chelsea.

How the Roma fans will be our biggest challenge to getting out the group.

I know ticket sales have been poor, but regardless of the opposition, he obviously feels the disconnect between this competition and our fanbase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.