City Vs Roma Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stretford Born Blue said:
If it's such a big game for us, then why is it struggling to sell out.........?

Probably because fans are getting a bit disillusioned with how we keep getting fucked over in Europe - And that's on top of a less than passing interest in the first place. The premier league and domestic trophies are still at the forefront of many minds.

Stretford Born Blue said:
If it's such a big game for us, then why is it struggling to sell out.........?
City's performances in CL haven't been particularly flattering, especially in a big game when it really matters against good/tricky opponent.

adrianr said:
Marvin said:
davymcfc said:
Huge game. In all the big European home games that we have played I can't think of many that we have won or played well in. Maybe Villarreal and Porto off the top of my head but both teams weren't great. This will be a real test. Roma are a very strong team and they will be backed by a big passionate crowd. It is absolutely essential that we do not lose but a draw wouldn't be the best result either. Hoping for a 2-1 win. Come on city!
One of these days we are going to win one of the big games at home in Europe. This might be the one.

No disrespect to Roma but I don't think Bayern, Real Madrid etc would class them as a big game at home. A proper turning point would be smashing Bayern at home to top the group - That's winning a big game at home in Europe. Need to keep ourselves in the race for that though by winning the other 4 games first.
One step at a time. Barca, bayern and real are a league above everyone else but we need to start beating the teams from the next bracket down. Napoli, Dortmund, Ajax, Real Madrid and Munich have all come away from Eastlands with some kind of result. We certainly cannot let Roma come away with the three points and with the strength of our squad you would expect us to win the game at home. It is vitally important that we get through the group and Roma will be our direct rivals from now until the end of the group stage.

A comfy win for us.

Juve are miles the best team in Serie A, they certainly were with Conte in charge, and their struggles in Europe over the last 2/3 years tell you all you need to know about the standard of football in Serie A.

Roma are a decent side but we'll have too much class and too much power for them. If we perform as we did against Liverpool and Chelsea we'll win the game comfortably.

adrianr said:
Marvin said:
adrianr said:
No disrespect to Roma but I don't think Bayern, Real Madrid etc would class them as a big game at home. A proper turning point would be smashing Bayern at home to top the group - That's winning a big game at home in Europe. Need to keep ourselves in the race for that though by winning the other 4 games first.
Bayern, Barca might not, but we have not beaten anyone at home of note in Europe in recent years.

That's my point, Roma are not a team of note. Next season no-one is going to reference a home victory to Roma (Unless it's a particularly thrilling game), but they would if we beat Bayern. They're a good side and I've no doubt it will be very difficult, but it's not like we're hosting Barcelona again.

A win itself wouldn't make a great impression. But a really convincing victory against decent opposition would be a step in the right direction. The sort of win where fans who had given the game a miss regretted their decision.

Reet, this will be interesting.

It's clear to me that there isn't much between most of these CL teams and a lot of games are won 'in the mind'.

We've clearly shat ourselves previously against the likes of Bayern, Barcelona, Madrid and Dortmund, but deploy our 'usual swagger' against the 'smaller' teams like Villareal, Plzen and CSKA (and Porto in the Europa).

I wonder where our collective mind set lies against someone like Roma? Are they 'bigger' or 'smaller' than us? How will they see it?

Imo if we go into this seeing ourselves as 'bigger' and 'better' we'll beat them. If we adopt our 'oh my god it's them' mind set we won't.

Personally I'd go for it. Serie A teams don't often face football as fast and intricate as ours and if we go for it we'll have far to much for them. If we allow them to dictate the pace and shape of the game (a la Barcelona at home) we're in for a tough night.

Don't worry, the Tourist and Day Trippers part filling the Emptyhad will sort them(200) out. ;-)

MEN.

Police ready for notorious band of 200 Roma 'ultras' who will march on the Etihad

They're due to come to Manchester ahead of Tuesday night's Champions League clash between City and AS Roma

[bigimg]http://i1.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article7844052.ece/alternates/s615/roma-fans-in-a-previous-visit-to-manchester.jpg[/bigimg]

Police are ready for a notorious band of around 200 Roma ‘ultras’ who will insist on marching together to the Etihad for Tuesday night’s Champions League match against City.

The Italian team will bring around 1,600 supporters to Manchester, and the first wave of fans are expected to fly in on Monday.

Greater Manchester Police is drafting in around officers to make sure the ‘high risk’ fixture passes off without incident.

Extra police officers will be on hand at the airport to greet Italians supporters under orders to try and open dialogue with vising fans.

Even more will be on hand in the city centre in the hours before Tuesday's kick off, including ‘police liaison’ officers who have become commonplace at marches and demonstrations.

They will have Italian interpreters with them to improve communication with the visitors.

Riot police, mounted officers and police dogs will also form part of a significant police operation.

Roma’s hardcore fans, or ‘ultras’, have a fearsome reputation, with fans from Liverpool, Middlesborough and Manchester United being stabbed during previous European encounters.

Police expect those hardcore fans to march en masse from the city centre to the ground, and officers will be ready to make sure their journey is trouble-free.

In 2007 police arrested 18 people outside Old Trafford following violent skirmishes before and after the match.

During the first leg in Rome a week earlier Italian police charge United supporters with batons, a move condemned by United who accused them of handing out ‘indiscriminate beatings’.

Since then Roma have been back to Manchester twice and the fixtures passed off without serious incident following major police operations to keep the peace.

Chief Superintendent John O’Hare said: “GMP is working closely with Manchester City football club to ensure all supporters have a safe and enjoyable experience. Roma supporters do come with a reputation and in 2007 when they played in Manchester we did experience some problems. However since then they have visited the city twice and there were no major issues.

“We have a policing operation in place from Monday evening which includes Manchester Airport and city centre. This will run throughout the day on Tuesday to ensure the day passes off peacefully with minimum disruption to the local area.

“The majority of football supporters will come to Manchester and behave in a responsible manner.

“We will continue to work with both clubs ahead of the return fixture in Roma later in the year.”

De Sanctis

Maicon Yanga Mbiwa Manolas Cole
Keita

Nainggolan Pjanic

Florenzi Totti Gervinho

Subs, Torosidis, Holebas, Ljajic, Destro, Paredes,
Is how I think they will line, forget the back up keepers name.

I've tipped Roma to get closer to Juve this season.

I make them favorites to progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.