City_rabin

One of my favourite threads. Some great stories.
I bumped it in 2017.
Might bump it again and see if any new overseas blues want to share their story.

@Delphacito - just reading this thread and saw how back then you quickly mentioned how you set your alarm at crazy hours to always watch us.... take it you still never miss a single game mate? (Page14).

I love stuff like that. People madly dedicated to City in different ways no matter where they are from.
Still hasn’t missed a game mate. Last Munchengladbach game started at 3am for me!

Apart from Soriano they all earned their respect. Don’t know about you pal but the only people I have a problem with are the type of fans who supports us with no regard to the history/ the city just cos we’re good. I don’t mind anyone supporting city, as long as it’s for the right reasons.
Personally I have respect for any blue that supported us pre takeover anywhere around the world.
No doubt you will be publishing what you consider to be "the right reasons" and then act as judge and jury before naming and shaming the millions of low life who don't meet your high standards, following up by demanding the club sever all sporting and commercial contacts with them. A sort of MCPA, (make city pure again) fantasy crusade. I'm sure all the kids now wearing City shirts will follow your lead as you strut about like the Pied Piper of Ashton New Rd.

The real test of a fan is not whether they only support us when we're winning but if they stick with us when we aren't winning things.

But I was watching a game a few years ago in a bar in Pittsburgh and got talking to 2 local Blues, one who had been supporting us since 1991. I asked him why and he said it was easy supporting successful teams but he liked supporting the underdog.

In 1965 we were getting fewer than 10k fans for some games. A few years later we were getting nearer 60k. In 2003, when we moved into the Etihad, we were getting 48k but a few years later we averaged just under 40k. In those early Etihad days even with meagre points I could get tickets for just about any away game bar the derby and now I'd struggle to get one for West Brom or Brighton, as demand is so much higher.

So it's not just foreign fans who are prone to be fickle.
Some very heart warming posts from fellow Blues in this thread. I started supporting City from a distance in 1965, I tend towards supporting the underdog too but I can always pretend it was because I could foretell the upward curve that was to make Johnny Crossan my first football hero, replacing Roy of The Rovers.

Did you write something, maybe twenty years ago, about City being the last great religion? I remember that distinctly because I printed it out and put it on my notice board. We have moved house a few times and I lost it? Do you still have that post? It was brilliant.

I used to post on the original BV, contribute to MCIVTA and do a column for mancity.net (later mancityfans.net) when it started out, but scaled it all back for personal reasons in about 2004. The topic you mention doesn't ring a bell for one of my articles, but there were hundreds and I've probably forgotten most of them so perhaps it could have been. (Apologies to anyone else if it was your work I'm suggesting I might have produced).

Unfortunately, very few of them survive now. I think that the old issues of MCIVTA are online, but most of the stuff I did for them was in the form of twice-weekly summaries of City news. I doubt you'll find it there. Sorry not to be more help.

Some very heart warming posts from fellow Blues in this thread. I started supporting City from a distance in 1965, I tend towards supporting the underdog too but I can always pretend it was because I could foretell the upward curve that was to make Johnny Crossan my first football hero, replacing Roy of The Rovers.

Johny Crossan, the hero in our household in the sixties. My first rattle had his name on it.

I used to post on the original BV, contribute to MCIVTA and do a column for mancity.net (later mancityfans.net) when it started out, but scaled it all back for personal reasons in about 2004. The topic you mention doesn't ring a bell for one of my articles, but there were hundreds and I've probably forgotten most of them so perhaps it could have been. (Apologies to anyone else if it was your work I'm suggesting I might have produced).

Unfortunately, very few of them survive now. I think that the old issues of MCIVTA are online, but most of the stuff I did for them was in the form of twice-weekly summaries of City news. I doubt you'll find it there. Sorry not to be more help.

Hi.
MCIVTA is very much still going. If you'd like to receive it please email Paul on paul@city-fan.org. We publish weekly with match reports and opinion. All free.

The most skilful player I had seen in my young life at that time

Thanks anyway. I was quite sure it was you because living in Finland we are neighbours with Russia and your name pet rusha stood out to me. I probably still have that cut out some place? I hope I can find it someday. If I do I could send it to you. Thanks again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.