City's New Kits - 2019/20

Just be happy you're not a Southampton fan. They are fuming about the new kit. It's horrendous.

Just did a quick review of the replies on IG and Twitter to the official accounts’ posts asking what everyone thinks of the shirts (which, despite what some might say, is actually a fairly decent way to get a sense of how the broader target international market is reacting to the shirts, which the vast majority on here have agreed is what the club and Puma are “rightfully” going after with these new kits) and the comments are fairly mixed.

The prevailing reactions seem to be...

For those that like them, the home kit isn’t bad but the away is the best one of the lot, as it is unique.

For those that don’t like them, the purple and the overall Puma design (especially the v-neck) of the home kit are awful.

Obviously can’t break that down by age range for our market researchers on here, but the platforms do tend to skew younger.

For those interested, the club also just sent out a Cityzens Voice questionnaire asking “What do you think of City's new Home and Away kits?”

It won’t bomb, no new shirts ever do.

But if Puma and City think the tills will be ringing with shirt sales, they are mistaken.

It amazes me what they can see in a shirt, that we the customer can’t.

No doubt Puma did numerous bullet point presentations of the shirt to the club, along with fan feedback, to convince the club to go with this shirt.

1 day we will go back to a simple blue and white home shirt, that every City fan wants, and will probably buy?

I don’t think you could be more wrong.

It’ll sell brilliantly, especially being the first shirt under a new brand.

The larger buying audience for replica football shirts just don’t care about what you’re on about and never will do. That audience isn’t a a jaded older guy who wants the shirt to look exactly how he/she wants it and no other way.

Personally I also prefer blue and white on the home shirt but honestly, this new shirt is a decent effort in the modern era. There’s always the anniversary shirt for those looking for something a bit more classics as well so we can both buy that :)

I don’t think you could be more wrong.

It’ll sell brilliantly, especially being the first shirt under a new brand.

The larger buying audience for replica football shirts just don’t care about what you’re on about and never will do. That audience isn’t a a jaded older guy who wants the shirt to look exactly how he/she wants it and no other way.

Personally I also prefer blue and white on the home shirt but honestly, this new shirt is a decent effort in the modern era. There’s always the anniversary shirt for those looking for something a bit more classics as well so we can both buy that :)

We're getting this later in the year for the 125th anniversary.

puma-manchester-city-125th-anniversary-shirt-2.jpg

So anyone like you or @jrb who just want a traditional sky blue and white shirt will buy that.

With that in mind, it would be pointless for them to do a traditional home shirt, instead they can take a few risks on adding purple etc. They can cover both bases, and some people will buy both.

So it won't bomb but City fans won't buy it, so who exactly will buy it.

Last season, unless my eyes deceived me, when the weather was fine a lot of fans wore the kit. The one everyone hated because of the sleeves or the trim or the angle
It won’t bomb, no new shirts ever do.

But if Puma and City think the tills will be ringing with shirt sales, they are mistaken.

It amazes me what they can see in a shirt, that we the customer can’t.

No doubt Puma did numerous bullet point presentations of the shirt to the club, along with fan feedback, to convince the club to go with this shirt.

1 day we will go back to a simple blue and white home shirt, that every City fan wants, and will probably buy?

I've been down to the store and bought 3 today and the tills were definitely ringing. It was packed and they were flying off the shelves with some sizes sold out, the staff were constantly re-stocking. I got them for the kids and then when I had a proper look they are decent both in quality and look. Queues were ridiculous at the tills and for printing so we do still have our 'typical city'. So whilst some folk might not be grabbing them off the shelves, an awful lot are and if the stadium tour groups are anything to go by(with their bags and bags of merchandise) they are going like hot cakes. Not like Maine Road is it?

We're getting this later in the year for the 125th anniversary.

puma-manchester-city-125th-anniversary-shirt-2.jpg

So anyone like you or @jrb who just want a traditional sky blue and white shirt will buy that.

With that in mind, it would be pointless for them to do a traditional home shirt, instead they can take a few risks on adding purple etc. They can cover both bases, and some people will buy both.
All fair points when it comes to the pure shirt sales side.

But, as I and others have said before, I think most that are disappointed with the sky blue/white/purple colours of the home kit are thinking of the fact that we won’t be playing many games (if any at all) in the anniversary kit, so it’s not particularly consequential for the club’s image (branding, if we want to use commercial speak). For the vast majority on earth watching our matches they will see the sky blue/white/purple kit, which doesn’t “look like City” to many of us established supporters. For new fans, that colour combination will be City, at least for a time.

But, as long as next season’s kit doesn’t include purple (signalling an actual club colours shift), I think we detractors will come to terms with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.