City's wage bill

1_barry_conlon said:
You don't know what they are earning. I don't know what they are earning and i suspect everyone on this site doesn't know what they're earning. A few people will though and only them, so let everyone speculate as much as they want as the answer is we know sweet f.a. about the various wages of players and that includes The Sun, Mirror, Mail, watchtower, war-cry and any other publication. The club obviously know what they're doing even with the impending UEFA restrictions so i think we'll leave it to them.

The tabloids may not know the exact figures but you don't have to be a genius to figure that one out.

Virtually all the players City have signed since the takeover were given very high wages, in most cases much higher than they'd get anywhere else. Why do you think City transfer deals are done so fast while pretty much everybody else sits on their ass and waits?

I'm not passing a judgment being that this is what Chelsea have done in the past themselves, but speaking from experience this type of dealing creates a lot of problems down the road. We've had the likes of Crespo, Veron and others on our books for years while they played somewhere else. The players aren't stupid, they know their contract money is guaranteed and if they joined the club mostly for financial reasons why should they take a pay cut and accommodate City if things didn't exactly work out on the pitch?

I don't know what plan City owners have in mind to make this work to satisfy UEFA, but it had better be something no one ever thought of before. The revenue from the various venues they plan to build around the stadium may be a big help, but these kinds of things take time to develop and you can't realistically see the results until much much later.

In short, your new wealth, the very thing that allows City to become competitive and win trophies along the way is ultimately the biggest challenge you'll have to face year after year. Players and agents demanding more money and parity with the top earners which often leads to problems in the dressing room, clubs demanding "City transfer fees" for their players and Platini's UEFA demanding of the club to balance the books or else.

I don't doubt City will start winning things soon, money does buy success despite what anybody says. It's what you do two-three years from now, I'm really not sure about.

Yaya toure for example. Hes on 100k a week, papers say 230k. Stop worring about it we have clever people in charge.

Excellent post Bob and sums up my own fears about the situation. As you've seen some City fans just want to bury their heads in the sand.

bobrivers said:
......It's what you do two-three years from now, I'm really not sure about.

If the papers are to be believed then players will play for the likes of United for nothing so once we are winning things everybody will take a pay cut ;)

We've had to pay over the odds, had we not then the 'project' would have taken much longer and it would have been much more difficult to break into the big 4 cartel, which, as we all know, is where the real money is.

I'm sure they've got plans for the UEFA anti-existing-elite-competition rules that are coming in, our custodians are certainly not stupid. The Chairman tells us they're here for the long term and I'd have to say that I've seen nothing to doubt that. They have an agenda that involves both the club and the promotion of their country - in many ways Man City is a relatively cheap source of global marketing, the returns get better the more successful we are.

Once you stop thinking of it as just a football club and start thinking of it as a global business it makes more sense.

The problem comes if we lose the backing of the owners and they get out to cut their losses, then we are in big trouble.

as several have pointed out, we don't know what's going on unless you've actually seen the paperwork...

also, we've got very deep pockets....

the only valid point might be one of management, and that is in the hands of our executives and the manager; and I believe they know what they're doing and can handle all the concomitant problems of budgets/governing body rulings/motivation/team cohesiveness etc

so what is there to worry about and what are you going to do about it??

(nothing and nothing!)

It is a temporary problem. Once we are achieving, players will be joining us for various reasons and the wages will settle down a bit over time. Although top players will always demand massive wages. The real problem is buying average players. That seems to be happening less since Hughes left, thankfully.

Adress two points..

1) We had to pay good wages to get out of the relegation battle. We where no Chelsea that already had a good squad when Roman took over.
Now when we aim for the stars we still have those players with us but that´s a temporary problem so how it would "bite us in the arse" I can´t understand?

2) No top class players would have arrived at Coms to face a relegation battle unless they where desperate like Robinho, so what could we have done instead?

Reports on wage bill (year)

The Times - £110M (could reach £120M if we get all our targets)
The Sun - £100M
The Mirror - £100M

Seems alright to me considering Chelsea's is £150M..............well so the papers and media say so it must be true.

How this being a downfall is beyond me if aything this is wonders for the economy just imagine all the Tax this country is making off teams like City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool. People aren't bothered about the money spent but just pissed off because there are people out there playing a sport we all love and earning a fortune, I personally think this is right I even think getting 10k a week is beyond a joke for playing a sport, but I don't think the country would benifit enough from 10k as it is from lets say 100k+ per player, for instance Yaya is on 220k but only earns 120k from it then abviously his agent gets a share of that (I assume) thats 100k from 1 player.

So I would like to take the time to say thank you Yaya and the rest of our team for helping out our economy in this time of need :0)

Exactly its not City that have created this problem it's the anti anyone but the top four rules that they are introducing that are causing the problem.

If this 'home grown' and 25 man squad limit hadn't been introduced everything would have been fine and dandy since if you are successful playing 65+ games you need a massive squad to sustain success across 4 different competitions so everyone would have got their fair share of games - that has certainly stilted are ambitions in the immediate term.

Then we have this ridiculous can't spend more than your revenue rule that is coming in that will mean we certainly win't be able (certainly not immediately) to be shelling out the amount of money we are currently on transfers (but then spending will naturally die down as it will become more evolution than revolution)

But with respect to being stuck with players I would expect that not every player is a Danny Mills and that players can work out that if they are not playing for 2/3 years not only is that not great from a self respect perspective (good players want to play) they also know that with virtually no game time then there values (and worth from a salary perspective) will fall dramatically such that they may even bet better off taking a lesser contract to maintain their worth over the rest of their career (and who knows, even make themselves more valuable)

Despite these new rules which are designed to inhibit us, they certainly can't stop us - we will adapt to the rules and start to buy the best of the home grown younger talent.

I'm certain our owners have a sound business plan to deal with the new rules which may even include just winning the premiership year after year and not playing in Europe. To be quite frank that scenario would be embarrassing for UEFA and devalue the competition.

We are an unstoppable force !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.