CL performance in context

It's quite clear that Dortmund and Madrid have far better squads than us. Being Champions of England means nothing in that context.

Nobody (including Mancini) would deny that we should have played better in Europe, but what really puts the CL into context is the fact that the 4 likely semi finalists are the 2 teams that qualified from our group this year, the winner of our group last year, and Barcelona

alky313 said:
It's quite clear that Dortmund and Madrid have far better squads than us. Being Champions of England means nothing in that context.
Well in your context we might as well just not accept our invitation to Europe for a bit

alky313 said:

No its the fact people rate the EPL as the best. It is when it comes to drama, and story lines. but tech, footballing style its inferior(not that much but its still noticeable). and BVB have a on par squad with us. but you have to understand bvb went all out for the champs league. i think retaining the title was going to be a long shot since Munich wanted it back more then anything.

Definitely a thread the outers should take not of...

Dortmund/Madrid in the Semi finals..

Mancini will get it right in europe as we are but babies as a squad in that competition

Dortmund and Madrid were better than us but we should have done better than Ajax.

Unless we get lucky with the draw next year then we could well be in for more of the same.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Definitely a thread the outers should take not of...

Dortmund/Madrid in the Semi finals..

Mancini will get it right in europe as we are but babies as a squad in that competition

But BVB are Babies in terms of players ages + Club experience in recent years (after the rebuilding of the club from financial disaster). so i dont think thats a valid excuse. Imo we where unlucky vrs Madrid, BVB did outplay us, and Ajax was a disaster from the start. so Mancini has to take some BUT not all of the blame.

Dortmund and Real are better no doubt, but we entered those games in the wrong tactically, Malaga nearly went through and you'd say their players are inferior. Think Mancini isn't really the best in that sense.

Citizenhill said:
Dortmund and Real are better no doubt, but we entered those games in the wrong tactically, Malaga nearly went through and you'd say their players are inferior. Think Mancini isn't really the best in that sense.

His record in the champs league is not great. but i still think he should get 1 more shot. if it fails it fails but he must go farther then the group stages that's for sure next season.

I find the whole European thing a bit of a conundrum. I always look at it as a bit of an adventure and what we do domestically is all important. Part of me thinks we're a young club (in Champs League terms) that needs time to grow at the top table of European football. We've had tough draws and it's only to be expected that we may take time to negotiate our way through such tough groups.

On the negative side I think Mancini never did well in Europe at Inter , we have experienced players like Yaya , Silva , Tevez etc that should be able to cope with that level of competition. I also don't like the way quick teams like Dortmund and Madrid managed to play through us at times. I'm not so sure we're mobile or intelligent enough in the middle. Teams that dominate possesion (even Ajax) we find tough to play against , look at Arsenal domestically having given us some of our toughest games domestically over the Mancini years.

Having said all that I'm still coming to terms with domestic success so will carry on looking at Europe as a big adventure for now. Softly softly catchy monkey !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.