CL performance in context

AntiUnited said:
Citizenhill said:
Dortmund and Real are better no doubt, but we entered those games in the wrong tactically, Malaga nearly went through and you'd say their players are inferior. Think Mancini isn't really the best in that sense.

His record in the champs league is not great. but i still think he should get 1 more shot. if it fails it fails but he must go farther then the group stages that's for sure next season.

I fully agree, we nearly went through last year, and were desperately unlucky with respects to the teams this year. I thought 3rd, but we did do very poorly with Ajax. So, plus the probable 2nd and a possible cup, he definitely earned himself another year IMO.

Don't really want to give Mancini a hard time, after a great win on Monday, and a great win against Newcastle, but, remember the performances against Ajax.

It's not about not winning the group, but it's about the poor performances throughout the whole of the competition, and ultimately finishing bottom without a win. Plus I'd question whether Dortmund have better players than us, though they certainly click as a unit.

I can't take the argument we are too inexperienced though. Pathetic excuse. Manchester city, the name, might be new to the tournament, but we have World Cup winners, and indeed champions league winners in the team- hardly "babies"

We could look at this in context if we had battled well in the group stages, but we came out second best in all the games we played and never looked assured. Bobby really needs to evaluate his tactical approach to europe, if he is given another chance.

VinniesLad said:
I find the whole European thing a bit of a conundrum. I always look at it as a bit of an adventure and what we do domestically is all important. Part of me thinks we're a young club (in Champs League terms) that needs time to grow at the top table of European football. We've had tough draws and it's only to be expected that we may take time to negotiate our way through such tough groups.

On the negative side I think Mancini never did well in Europe at Inter , we have experienced players like Yaya , Silva , Tevez etc that should be able to cope with that level of competition. I also don't like the way quick teams like Dortmund and Madrid managed to play through us at times. I'm not so sure we're mobile or intelligent enough in the middle. Teams that dominate possesion (even Ajax) we find tough to play against , look at Arsenal domestically having given us some of our toughest games domestically over the Mancini years.

Having said all that I'm still coming to terms with domestic success so will carry on looking at Europe as a big adventure for now. Softly softly catchy monkey !

i agree but again Eu football is played differently they like to actually play football unlike teams in the epl examples united and stoke. its just how it is the reason why Arsenal give us the hardest matches its cuz they play expansive football where possession and the midfield battles are key. Thats why last season united got raped 3 ways by fukin bilbao, basel, and other sides. cuz they just dont know how to play it properly. the way to solve this is to invest in the midfield get isco and u will have a combination of Yaya, silva, and isco that would easily keep pace with any other top eu midfield.<br /><br />-- Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:02 pm --<br /><br />
Citizenhill said:
AntiUnited said:
Citizenhill said:
Dortmund and Real are better no doubt, but we entered those games in the wrong tactically, Malaga nearly went through and you'd say their players are inferior. Think Mancini isn't really the best in that sense.

His record in the champs league is not great. but i still think he should get 1 more shot. if it fails it fails but he must go farther then the group stages that's for sure next season.

I fully agree, we nearly went through last year, and were desperately unlucky with respects to the teams this year. I thought 3rd, but we did do very poorly with Ajax. So, plus the probable 2nd and a possible cup, he definitely earned himself another year IMO.

Not to mention missing Yaya and kun for half the fukin season again. cant stand the african cup shit. Just get isco and banes and its GG

Its a good point that hasn't gone unnoticed, but still feel that we should've picked up a win in at least one of the six games to suggest it wasn't a poor campaign.

To a lesser extent it's like trying to find some solace in getting knocked out in the first stage of FA cup after a poor performance to the eventual finalists.

moomba said:
It was a hard group no doubt. But results and performances weren't really good enough despite that.

I think most of us would have excused missing out on the knockouts if we'd been more competitive, or played closer to what we were capable of. But we were a long way from that unfortunately.
Feel exactly the same.

AntiUnited said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Definitely a thread the outers should take not of...

Dortmund/Madrid in the Semi finals..

Mancini will get it right in europe as we are but babies as a squad in that competition

But BVB are Babies in terms of players ages + Club experience in recent years (after the rebuilding of the club from financial disaster). so i dont think thats a valid excuse. Imo we where unlucky vrs Madrid, BVB did outplay us, and Ajax was a disaster from the start. so Mancini has to take some BUT not all of the blame.

Agree but not an reason to get rid of him at all

AntiUnited said:
Definitely a thread the outers should take not of...

Dortmund/Madrid in the Semi finals..

Mancini will get it right in europe as we are but babies as a squad in that competition

But BVB are Babies in terms of players ages + Club experience in recent years (after the rebuilding of the club from financial disaster). so i dont think thats a valid excuse. Imo we where unlucky vrs Madrid, BVB did outplay us, and Ajax was a disaster from the start. so Mancini has to take some BUT not all of the blame.

never said he should be sacked but it should be analyzed why he is getting it so wrong SOMETIMES. but one more crack at it would only be the fair thing to do.

AntiUnited said:
AntiUnited said:

never said he should be sacked but it should be analyzed why he is getting it so wrong SOMETIMES. but one more crack at it would only be the fair thing to do.

I have said the same-and I hoep the board tell him...knockout stage is target next yr and premiership title.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.