Classic novels

I've read more of them than I expected as I'm not a huge reader. Other than the Lord of the Rings books, which were pretty much the first books I remember my dad reading me as a kid, I'd have to put the Count of Monte Cristo as my favourite. I bloody love a good revenge scheme. Don Quixote is great as well and I remember enjoying Dante's Divine Comedy, even if it was a bit of a tough read

Wow...only done about a third of them.....stay away from ulysses, life is far too short.
Greatest novel ever written. Yet not as good as any of JK Rowling's... I note she's knocked out a fair few better than War and Peace & Anna Karenina, too. No Proust, Stendhal or Flaubert. I'd say at best the list was put together by a semi-literate imbecile.

I've read it twice. The first half/two-thirds is simply magnificent. The last bit, with all its moralising and religious shite, is dirgey I'll agree.

Surprised at that list. There no way people like Terry Pratchett & Jacqueline Wilson should be in there about authors like Grahame Greene and Ernest Hemingway. Two novels that should be in there are Solzhenitsyn's 'One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich' and Donna Tartt's 'Secret History' which is probably the best modern novel I've read. Also no Trollope? Barchester Towers, The Warden are both absolute classics.
Pratchett should definitely be in there. Night Watch is a superb book. Think moral tales in a fantasy setting with added wit. I'd vote the Potter ones out. Average at best.

Why does the Harry Potter series get 4 different entries in that list yet the Lord of the Rigs and Gormenghast just get bundled together? (probably a few others in their as well that are a series, or at least a very long story split into multiple books)

What that list needs is at least one Robert Rankin novel. Snuff Fiction, Raiders of the Lost Car Park, The Antipope as a starting point.

Rankin has been described as a drinking man's H G Wells, and his writing style is a perfect antidote to the Penguin Classic (not that there is anything wrong with the Penguin Classic; Morrisey's effort apart).

Greatest novel ever written. Yet not as good as any of JK Rowling's... I note she's knocked out a fair few better than War and Peace & Anna Karenina, too. No Proust, Stendhal or Flaubert. I'd say at best the list was put together by a semi-literate imbecile.
The idea of the thread really was to discuss classic literature, I didnt post the BBC list as I knew this would lead to disagreements, somebody posted it though and now the discussion is all about the list.
No list is perfect for everybody I suppose.

The list isnt important, lets for get the bloody list and talk about your favourite classics.

The idea of the thread really was to discuss classic literature, I didnt post the BBC list as I knew this would lead to disagreements, somebody posted it though and now the discussion is all about the list.
No list is perfect for everybody I suppose.

The list isnt important, lets for get the bloody list and talk about your favourite classics.

Sorry :/ you're the nut who said he wanted to read the bbc's top 100.

Stories are subjective, who knew. Catch 22 was great, just the idea of it, you have to prove yourself insane but in doing so you prove your sanity.

I promised my self when I retired I would read the BBC top 100 classic books

Im now reading George Orwels classic....... 1984
Up to part 2 now, cant put it down, brilliant descriptive writing. (I cant stop relating it to North Korea)

My next one will be Catcher In The Rye probably.

Anybody else read these kind of classic books ?[/QUO
Yes they are brilliant. I would recommend Graham Greene The Power and the Glory. A Toure de force.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.