Classic novels

Catch 22 my all time favourite,think I have read it about 9 times now, never ever gets old.cant stand all that Russian literature, it's so fucking depressing,I mean a Russian could write a 1000 page novel on the theft of a fucking overcoat

Reading the faraway tree with my son at the moment and great for kids. Surprised to see it on this list though.

Just finished reading Robinson Crusoe. I think everyone must have read a kids version at some time but as Play Books had it on their bargain classics I thought I would give it a go at £0.83. Despite it being written in the 17C its relatively easy to read and a cracking good story.

You paid for it, although only 83p it's no longer subject to copyright and you can get it free on Gutenberg. Along with many others in fact.

It's a little disappointing Catcher in the Rye, found it dated and couldn't relate to the coming of age narrative for the time... I did read this in my teens though so it could be worth a revisit..

1984 remains a classic, Orwell one of the greats..

I read 'the master and margarita' last year, which for me is the greatest piece of literature ever written, it's a bonifide classic!

read that a few months ago. completely agree. found it average tbh.

I've read it twice. The first half/two-thirds is simply magnificent. The last bit, with all its moralising and religious shite, is dirgey I'll agree.

Surprised at that list. There no way people like Terry Pratchett & Jacqueline Wilson should be in there about authors like Grahame Greene and Ernest Hemingway. Two novels that should be in there are Solzhenitsyn's 'One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich' and Donna Tartt's 'Secret History' which is probably the best modern novel I've read. Also no Trollope? Barchester Towers, The Warden are both absolute classics.
Don't you mean Sir Terry Pratchett

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.