Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Stick inside the circle;
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
I’d definitely add Floyd although I think they are timeless and probably my favourites, nowhere near as bland as Coldplay, so take that back.

Pretty much agree with everything else.

Id probably add a ton of other lesser known stuff from 1970-1975 as part of this cache whether I was particularly into it or not.

Wishbone Ash
Frampton
Home
Argent. (Maybe)
Ellis. (Listen to El Doomo)
Steve Hillage (Maybe more new age hippie than classic)

This thread is basically all the stuff I was listening to from mid seventies into the 1980’s even through punk and new wave, until Talking Heads came along and broadened my horizons.

It started with an obsession with everything Yes related, that got me out of listening to whatever was on the pop charts i.e. Abba etc.
I also played Made in Japan to death. The odd thing now is most of these bands are not something I return to much now as it doesn’t have the same meaning to me as when I was 14/15/16 years old.

Whereas the likes of Rory Gallagher from the same era is something that I find every bit as exciting now. Live in particular he just gets the juices flowing. But I wouldn’t have him in the same category as most of these bands.
Because I respect your judgement, tomorrow I will put that Deep Purple live album on and see if it transcends the usual riff, bore, riff bore formulae. I will report back.

Because I respect your judgement, tomorrow I will put that Deep Purple live album on and see if it transcends the usual riff, bore, riff bore formulae. I will report back.
Probably nostalgia as much as anything else with me. It was played to death in our house.

@OB1 as I said earlier, this thread is like a revision of my last couple of school years.
Like so many before and after me on the Northside of Dublin I frequented a club called The Grove every weekend which totally influenced my musical appreciation and identified what tribe I was a part of ( Army jacket/grandfather collarless shirt/straight Levi’s etc)

I went every weekend between 1977-1980 or so. Although I probably spent as much time out in the park as inside the club.

The Grove was a rock music alternative disco. (Disco isn’t even the right word) Pretty much all the music being discussed in here, is what was on offer inside, give or take a few bands.
Two good links below.
1st describes the place and the music played (All of your thread)
2nd describes pretty well my weekends between the ages of 16-18 yo. Leaving out the mass bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: OB1
Any fans of the Moody blues, core 7 albums ?
I play them regularly really nice music in my opinion and one of my favourite all-time bands.
Sadly gave up making albums years ago after the loss of Mike Pinder and Ray Thomas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.