Climate Change is here and man made

It’s great that there is increasing awareness of just how serious climate change is.

The trouble is, I see no evidence that senior decision makers of countries that are the world’s biggest cause of climate change will actually have the bollocks or indeed motivation to do enough about it.

Most world leaders will acknowledge the issue, and do some token gesture that doesn’t go far enough or quickly enough, but when it comes to the bottom line (ie money and votes) they will bottle it and make excuses. Lies will be published and statistics will be manipulated to pretend they’re doing enough so they can then retire and blame it on the next incumbent when biodiversity continues to fall, crops die and towns flood.

None of the five or six men in the world who actually have the real power to make a huge difference will do enough because they won’t have the stomach to spend the hundreds of billions it will take to realign industries, change the way the world travels and the way the world produces and consumes its food.

Climate change is a massive issue. This was in the news last week, which highlights two problems I spotted years ago:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/01/net-zero-zealots-take-no-notice-hardship-haste-will-cause/

"...last year the number of coal-fired power stations approved to open around the world increased. China, the world’s largest source of greenhouse gases, was the worst offender, opening the equivalent of a new coal-fired plant every week, and building more than three times the coal-plant capacity as the rest of the world."

Are China going to stop? No and to be fair - why should they? We, in the more prosperous countries - for example the UK, have had 200 years of ever increasing standards of living on the back of industrialisation, whilst the Chinese (and others) lived mostly in poverty, until quite recently. They now want what we have had and power enables that. Britain can do x, y and z to try to deal with climate change and it will be pointless, unless the whole planet works together. Me buying an electric car (not remotely affordable, by-the-way) ain't going to do anything to change that.

Which brings me to the second point: people keep saying, "we have to think about our children and grandchildren in all of this...", but I would ask one question: did my great grand parents or my grand parents or even my parents think about me?

When I was little my Mum and I used to visit her Grandma once every few days, she was in her 80s. I remember watching 'The Golden Shot' on her b/w TV and it was like a sauna, her heating on all the time, for pennies. Was she thinking about the environment? I'm worried: if this 'green revolution' continues and unilateral steps are taken by the British politicians, current and future ones, will I enjoy my old age in a flat or house warmed cheaply? I don't think so...

So from that news article again: "The world must take action against climate change – this is not in doubt. But in Britain we should be mindful of what can be done alone, and what might be done together, what might be achieved through changing behaviour and what might be achieved with the help of technology.

The alternative – imposing reductions in living standards, without democratic debate, no public consent, and with little regard to whether it even works – is no strategy. It is nothing better than a recipe for disaffection and failure".

Which brings me to the second point: people keep saying, "we have to think about our children and grandchildren in all of this...", but I would ask one question: did my great grand parents or my grand parents or even my parents think about me?

When I was little my Mum and I used to visit her Grandma once every few days, she was in her 80s. I remember watching 'The Golden Shot' on her b/w TV and it was like a sauna, her heating on all the time, for pennies. Was she thinking about the environment? I'm worried: if this 'green revolution' continues and unilateral steps are taken by the British politicians, current and future ones, will I enjoy my old age in a flat or house warmed cheaply? I don't think so...

What relevance is this to anything pal?

Are you saying that because previous peoples were ignorant and made mistakes, we should keep repeating them 'just because'?

Weird attitude.

A very, very bright one indeed. The world will be immeasurably better for her than it has been for you and me, so you should be excited for her.

Do you HONESTLY think that life in the UK will become intolerable for her because of climate change over the next 80 years or so? Of course the UK will be barely different, other than the weather might be a bit nicer.

And in other areas, she'll have a much better standard of living, unimaginably better healthcare and improved life-expectancy. Far better outlook for anyone unfortunate to get cancer etc. Reduced working ours, more disposable income. Gadgets like you would not believe. Real AI and robots etc etc.

I could go on and on. She'll look back at your life and mine and think "the poor sods - did they REALLY have to put up with THAT".
Is that you comical ali..

What relevance is this to anything pal?

Are you saying that because previous peoples were ignorant and made mistakes, we should keep repeating them 'just because'?

Weird attitude.

Bit unfair to take one part of my post and throw it back at me: what is your view on the Chinese issue?

I'm trying to say that if people my age (mid-fifties) are forced into destitution on the back of the UK bringing in its own green policies, whilst China carries on polluting the planet, resentment will ensure. Resentment towards other countries and resentment towards previous generations. Then there will be a backlash against the whole eco-concept from some people & that won't help - we all need to work together.

I realise to voice anything even remotely 'anti-green' in 2021 is a bit of a 'No-No', like many other topics, but I don't care, I will say what I think.

A very, very bright one indeed. The world will be immeasurably better for her than it has been for you and me, so you should be excited for her.

Do you HONESTLY think that life in the UK will become intolerable for her because of climate change over the next 80 years or so? Of course the UK will be barely different, other than the weather might be a bit nicer.

And in other areas, she'll have a much better standard of living, unimaginably better healthcare and improved life-expectancy. Far better outlook for anyone unfortunate to get cancer etc. Reduced working ours, more disposable income. Gadgets like you would not believe. Real AI and robots etc etc.

I could go on and on. She'll look back at your life and mine and think "the poor sods - did they REALLY have to put up with THAT".

Do you have the lottery numbers for the this weekend please mate:-)

Bit unfair to take one part of my post and throw it back at me: what is your view on the Chinese issue?

I'm trying to say that if people my age (mid-fifties) are forced into destitution on the back of the UK bringing in its own green policies, whilst China carries on polluting the planet, resentment will ensure. Resentment towards other countries and resentment towards previous generations. Then there will be a backlash against the whole eco-concept from some people & that won't help - we all need to work together.

I realise to voice anything even remotely 'anti-green' in 2021 is a bit of a 'No-No', like many other topics, but I don't care, I will say what I think.
I think we could have guessed that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.