Climate Change is here and man made

Oh, come on, it's obvious.

Orange Hair Dude nailed it! - Climate change is a Chinese conspiracy.

Meanwhile I offer some common sense climate change mitigations as follows (pretty sure Small Hands Guy is gonna love these):

Unprecedented forest fires - Rake the forests just like Finland does! Easy fix.
Rising sea levels - Wear rain boots. Boom! Problem solved.
Intense hurricanes and massive flooding - Easy! Buy flood insurance. Problem solved.
Massive unprecedented species die off - Are you kidding me?!? What a bonanza. Collect the die-off and make sausage!
Coastal flooding (areas where much of humanity resides) due to rising sea levels? - Hello! Already answered. Buy flood insurance.

Oh, come on, it's obvious.

Orange Hair Dude nailed it! - Climate change is a Chinese conspiracy.

Meanwhile I offer some common sense climate change mitigations as follows (pretty sure Small Hands Guy is gonna love these):

Unprecedented forest fires - Rake the forests just like Finland does! Easy fix.
Rising sea levels - Wear rain boots. Boom! Problem solved.
Intense hurricanes and massive flooding - Easy! Buy flood insurance. Problem solved.
Massive unprecedented species die off - Are you kidding me?!? What a bonanza. Collect the die-off and make sausage!
Coastal flooding (areas where much of humanity resides) due to rising sea levels? - Hello! Already answered. Buy flood insurance.
Yes, but I'm insured by Royal Liver, and their offices are all under water!
Abandon ship/hope!
;-)

Will it? Says who? We will lose come coastline for sure. But on the other hand, we'll presumably have areas which are currently too dry to be arable, which then become arable. And we'll have arctic tudra where nothing grows currently, which in a century may well be fertile and highly productive. I think it is far from obvious that we will be able to grow less and will have less food to live on. And who knows what technology we will have to produce synthetic meat etc.

Overplayed as an argument IMO. The whole thing smacks to me of "We need to do something about climate change, so how are we going to justify it". Scholars looking for reasons to justify their beliefs. I dunno - maybe you have a point on this one, I really don't know. But climate change is gradual and we'll have decades - tens of decades - to adjust.

People are far too quick to point at a forest fire and say "look, climate change". If politicians and scientists were honest about the whole thing, I wouldn't have a problem with it: i.e. Climate change is happening and we must take steps to try to moderate the effects. But far too many of them are not honest. Either that or they are idiots. They try to pretend the world is coming to an end, in order to try to shock the gullible into action. Or they genuinely believe the world would come to an end, in which case they are simply idiots. When did the BBC ever put up a chart like this:

graph-from-scott-wing-620px.png
I love the idea of mans inflated self importance. Not only have we, in 170 years, undone 4.3 billion years of the earth, but we can also reverse it.
In many ways the actual problem and it’s cause don’t actually matter, we just need to think about adapting to what it means instead instead of mitigation, that just won’t work. Not only that but China, Japan, India, Indonesia and Vietnam account for 80%+ of new coal powered investments with over 600 planned.
We are moving to £60k electric cars and £30k heat pumps and making everything more and more expensive whilst buying cheap shit from Asian countries all using more and more coal powered energy.
We will end up buying electricity from them to supply the cars in the next 15 years………

I love the idea of mans inflated self importance. Not only have we, in 170 years, undone 4.3 billion years of the earth, but we can also reverse it.
In many ways the actual problem and it’s cause don’t actually matter, we just need to think about adapting to what it means instead instead of mitigation, that just won’t work. Not only that but China, Japan, India, Indonesia and Vietnam account for 80%+ of new coal powered investments with over 600 planned.
We are moving to £60k electric cars and £30k heat pumps and making everything more and more expensive whilst buying cheap shit from Asian countries all using more and more coal powered energy.
We will end up buying electricity from them to supply the cars in the next 15 years………
Hell yeah, brother! Orange-Hair agrees. No way we can mitigate climate change - so just carry on.

Flood insurance solves most of the problems - and sausage takes care of the rest - oh, and that rake thing; that's important too.
===
In other news, we'd better fuck up the environment as quick as we can because there's no way that China or India or other such countries are going to become more and more affected by climate change and will have no choice but to take remediative action...

And, hello!

China world leader in renewable energy? Josh Rogan says fake news!

Last edited:
Forgive the over-the-top irony in my recent posts - reason doesn't work to convince most skeptics - perhaps sarcastic irony will; if not, at least I'm having fun posting these ridiculous, obviously anti-science, entirely illogical and unworkable "solutions" to global warming.
===
At any rate, in order to keep up with energy demand, renewables won't be nearly enough. To reduce global green house gas emission it's becoming more and more clear that we'll need to rely much, much more on nuclear fission in the coming years.

I'm not at all a fan of fission - but new, intrinsically safe nuclear plant designs have emerged over the past few decades. And some of these designs incorporate measures to burn most of the dangerous radioactive waste product generated by nuclear fission.

Unfortunately, nuclear fission has such a huge stigma - rightfully warranted by recent catastrophes - e.g., the recent earthquake, tidal wave disaster in Japan - that most of the public - including the environmentally conscious - view fusion as anathema.
===
Too, as we move away from gasoline/diesel vehicles and move towards electric cars - I wonder... what becomes of all those batteries once the car is replaced?

I honestly don't know the answer to the above. Are the batteries forever unusable - and end up in underground waste storage (i.e., a trash dump)? I think that this is the case. And if so, this sort of battery technology is obviously unsustainable over the long term. Are there any truly renewable/reusable battery technologies under investigation/development/design?

I would love to do my bit. I drive an electric car and my home is insulated to the top spec. Looked at solar power, £10 000, heat pump the same. Had that d1ck the climate minister on R4 this morning saying that ‘yes the price will come down when we start to sell more heat pumps from £10 000 a unit to …..wait for it……£5 000’ ffs and that is for just 1 room and I would still need supplementary heating. And we would still need to put in an immersion heater for water. Where do people like me get that kind of money from?
Is that for a geothermal heat pump?
I was talking to my neighbour today (I lent him my petrol hedge trimmer :o). He's just got a quote for £11500 for a geothermal pump with installation and he's got a big house.
I can go and buy an air-water pump for £5000 today, or an air-air for £1100 in Sweden that will heat a 130m2 house in winter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.