Climate Change is here and man made

I actually read the science here and know researchers in this field, not randomly pick up the odd idea off of daft websites

You don't know what you're talking about. Absolutely every Earth science states that this is happening as does over 90% of scientists studying the pheonomena. There is absolutely no doubt over this.

I could go into long reasonings pointing to studies and explaining what it all means but I get the idea that you don't care and this thread is an attempt at trolling

As a cricket coach all I can say is that I cancel more games now because of rain than I ever did in 1982 when I first did it. Something's changed.

corky1970 said:
The current slight increase in global temperatures is well within the earth's customary temperature range. Temperatures today are lower than they were in the mediæval warm period. Sea level has been rising slowly since the end of the last ice age, but the rate of rise shows no sign of increasing.

The Antarctic contains around 90% of the world's ice, and the Antarctic ice mass is increasing, while temperatures are actually trending down slightly over most of the Antarctic.

Only about 3% of global CO2 emissions are man-made, and the relation between atmospheric CO2 concentrations and climate is still subject to debate. Catastrophic predictions of global warming are based on notoriously unreliable computer projections, with both governments and media always seizing on the most alarmist possibilities.

Yet only thirty years ago, serious scientific papers, and the media, were panicking over the threat of global cooling, and the imminent on-set of the next Ice Age! We seem to have a deep psychological need for scare stories.

While the establishment pontificates about the Kyoto protocol, widely accepted estimates of the likely impact of Kyoto (if fully implemented -- of course it won't be) is a reduction in mean global temperatures of about 0.02°C by 2050, and no more than 0.2°C by 2100. We are being asked to decimate energy use, roll back the industrial revolution, and make heroic economic sacrifices, in order to achieve changes in long-term climate projections almost too small to measure.

So why are we constantly bombarded with hysterical climate change propaganda? Why is climate change "the greatest threat facing man-kind" (if you ignore terrorism, nuclear war, the millennium bug, bird flu etc etc)?

The motivation of the green lobby is pretty clear. These people hate capitalism with a passion. In the sixties they'd have been communists. Now their weapon of choice against capitalism, free markets, prosperity and progress is a two-pronged attack on globalisation and climate change. Both prongs are wholly wrong-headed.

Governments jump on the band-wagon not only to respond to the ill-founded fears of voters, but because crusading on climate change offers opportunities both for new taxes, and for the global governance initiatives beloved by political leaders (as well as a distraction from more immediate problems). We hear apologists for the EU talking more and more about its supposed environmental role (despite the massive failure of its Kyoto commitments and its Emissions Trading System).

The enthusiasm of some major corporations takes more explaining. Some are making the most of a bad job, and aligning themselves to the Zeitgeist. But many are "rent seekers". They see commercial opportunities in the incentives offered by government -- for example in the gross market distortions created to promote the economic lunacy of wind farms.

The climate hysteria is now so all-pervading that it is difficult for the still, small voice of common sense to get a hearing. All the more reason to welcome a brilliantly readable new book "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming", by my good friend Chris Horner of the Competitive Enterprise Institute. Tightly argued, full of counter-intuitive information, and peppered with the failed forecasts of green activists, this is essential reading for all those concerned with climate and the environment.

Amongst the quotes, I particularly liked "The threat of a new Ice Age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a major threat to mankind" (Nigel Calder, International Wildlife, 1975); and "Nutritional disaster seems likely to overtake humanity in the '70s (or at latest the '80s) .... (it) could lead to a billion people starving to death" (Ehrlich, The End of Affluence, 1974). Yet today in the West, obesity, not malnutrition, stalks the land.
Oh Corky!!!!
You really are bored aren't you?
I'll have to think up a really controversial or near the knuckle thread to ease your pain.

Damocles said:
I actually read the science here and know researchers in this field, not randomly pick up the odd idea off of daft websites

You don't know what you're talking about. Absolutely every Earth science states that this is happening as does over 90% of scientists studying the pheonomena. There is absolutely no doubt over this.

I could go into long reasonings pointing to studies and explaining what it all means but I get the idea that you don't care and this thread is an attempt at trolling
You only say that as you get paid by the man to say so, just so they can tax us.

You should be ashamed. I imagine you would be but for the fact you know Niribu will wipe us out this week.

Ah, read the science paid for by governments, licking their collective lips at the thought of all the tax monies to be made from scaring the world to death with tales of imminent climate disaster?

Hot and cold, hot and cold......and it will continue in the same vain I will wager.

On a serious note, even if ACL exists, there is not much point doing anything piecemeal about it. We should just buckle up and enjoy the ride.

SWP's back said:
Damocles said:

You only say that as you get paid by the man to say so, just so they can tax us.

You should be ashamed. I imagine you would be but for the fact you know Niribu will wipe us out this week.

You see, as a mod, I'm never sure what to do about these threads. It's Poe's Law. It's impossible to tell between some extreme opinions and satire, so if we did pull the thread as a troll thread, some would call us out for "pulling threads on alternative opinions" but if we don't pull it, the forum has another thread causing trouble. I thought the same about PDs thread saying that atheists shouldn't use RIP and a few of JOTLs threads. I'm never sure what's best here

Damocles said:
SWP's back said:
Damocles said:

You see, as a mod, I'm never sure what to do about these threads. It's Poe's Law. It's impossible to tell between some extreme opinions and satire, so if we did pull the thread as a troll thread, some would call us out for "pulling threads on alternative opinions" but if we don't pull it, the forum has another thread causing trouble. I thought the same about PDs thread saying that atheists shouldn't use RIP and a few of JOTLs threads. I'm never sure what's best here
NSFW forum would be just the ticket, I would fill it with photos of tits. Like a Dzeko thread with pictures.

Its a load of shit. Yes the earth is getting warmer, like it has done in various cycles over the past 100,000 years. I accept that man made pollution is contributing to it, but no where near as much as the fruit cakes make out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.