Climate Change is here and man made

Damocles said:
Nothing depresses me more for the future of humanity than reading a thread about a scientific phenomena commented on by people who haven't read the science nor understand it.

A future in politics awaits my friend...

...you can be in charge of climate affairs with full powers on taxation.

SWP's back said:
Damocles said:
Nothing depresses me more for the future of humanity than reading a thread about a scientific phenomena commented on by people who haven't read the science nor understand it.
To be fair, the comments regarding taxation (on road and air travel) doing nothing are quite correct. England "doing its bit" has the same effect as you removing a bucket of water from the Irish Sea to reduce the sea level.

That's not true. I'm not sure you quite get how much road and air pollution contributes to the effect.

More to the point, this is like saying "well, we didn't find the murderer at the scene so we should give up". Any saving at all is vital.

Damocles said:
SWP's back said:
Damocles said:
To be fair, the comments regarding taxation (on road and air travel) doing nothing are quite correct. England "doing its bit" has the same effect as you removing a bucket of water from the Irish Sea to reduce the sea level.

That's not true. I'm not sure you quite get how much road and air pollution contributes to the effect.

More to the point, this is like saying "well, we didn't find the murderer at the scene so we should give up". Any saving at all is vital.
how much taxation raised is actually used to improve our carbon footprint?

blueinsa said:
Damocles said:

And you can be in charge of nothing because you're an imbecile. Actually go out and read the scientific literature about this. Don't sit there sniping about some conspiracy bullshit, go and read the papers written by the guys on the groun collating the data. Not just climatologists, but geologists, biologists, physicists, chemists, etc.

If you aren't willing to do that, how's about you shut your mouth lest more people think you've the knowledge of a small potted plant.<br /><br />-- Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:52 pm --<br /><br />
squirtyflower said:
Damocles said:
SWP's back said:

how much taxation raised is actually used to improve our carbon footprint?

I don't know. I don't really care either, it has nothing to do with the point of climate change. I can't control what governments do. I can read science however. And the science here is overwhelmingly clear.

Damocles said:
blueinsa said:
Damocles said:

And you can be in charge of nothing because you're an imbecile. Actually go out and read the scientific literature about this. Don't sit there sniping about some conspiracy bullshit, go and read the papers written by the guys on the groun collating the data. Not just climatologists, but geologists, biologists, physicists, chemists, etc.

If you aren't willing to do that, how's about you shut your mouth lest more people think you've the knowledge of a small potted plant.

You have just hurt my feelings and probably broken the C of C but never mind.

Tell me, was road and air travel responsible for the last period in Earths history when we experienced a similar pattern of warmer temperatures?

But we should care

if governments are going to raise taxes in order to try and restrict our use of fossil fuels then surely the money raised should be used to fund research into real alternatives that are cost effective

otherwise all they are doing is coining in the dosh whilst diving headlong into catastrophe?

I take my hat off to you Corky. I originally thought your post was a piss-take but you've managed to ignite a row. Then again, you could start a thread on which is the best chalk to put on a snooker cue and it would end in either someone being offered out, told to fuck off or banned. :)

If you can be bothered, check out what David Mitchell has to say about it on... David Mitchell's Soap Box, Series Two, Climate Change.

It's pretty much what I think but about a thousand times more eloquently put than I could ever dream about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.