Climate Change is here and man made

Blue Mist said:
So lets sum this thread up:
If you think climate change is made up by Governments to increase taxes you are a stupid idiot who is trolling and have the brains of a potted plant, you know nothing, read nothing and amount to nothing.
If you think climate change will destroy the world you are a Mod and therefore can abuse people at will without the risk of getting banned.

Have I summed it up prety well ?

I'm an imbecile and not very well read or educated but yes.....I think you have summed it up quite well.

Blue Mist said:
If you think climate change is made up by Governments to increase taxes you are a stupid idiot who is trolling and have the brains of a potted plant, you know nothing, read nothing and amount to nothing.
If you think climate change will destroy the world you are a Mod and therefore can abuse people at will without the risk of getting banned.

Too well, ban him.

Blue Mist said:

I don't think climate change will destroy the world. If you're going to try and be a twat, try not to put words in my mouth

Nothing outside of a planet sized rock or the Sun expanding/exploding will destroy the Earth.

However, if you have never read a climate paper in your entire life but have suddenly decided that you're an expert enough to comment on a highly complex scientific phenomena and the truthfulness of it, then yes, you're a complete fucking idiot.

Do you know why I don't get involved with threads on economic theory? Because I know fuck all about it. I've kind of worked out that SWPs Back looks like he knows some stuff about it so have asked him for some reading recommendations, however, reading two books recommended by a person with a particular opinion doesn't make me educated enough to turn around and say ALL THIS IS BOLLOCKS.

I cannot fathom the arrogance it takes for people to believe their opinion is more correct than experts who dedicate their lifes to understanding a particular part without doing a single minute of research into the topic. This idea that I should respect your unconsidered, idiiotic and downright stupid opinion is nonsense.

Skashion said:
BulgarianPride said:
Fact is climate change is occurring, governments pretend to care by taxing the shit out of people while doing very little to change the root cause.
We know nowhere near enough yet.

This was true 10 years ago. Not now.

Blue Mist said:

A bit too black and white.

Life is about shades of grey.

corky1970 said:
Damocles said:
Blue Mist said:

I don't think climate change will destroy the world. If you're going to try and be a twat, try not to put words in my mouth

Nothing outside of a planet sized rock or the Sun expanding/exploding will destroy the Earth.

However, if you have never read a climate paper in your entire life but have suddenly decided that you're an expert enough to comment on a highly complex scientific phenomena and the truthfulness of it, then yes, you're a complete fucking idiot.

Do you know why I don't get involved with threads on economic theory? Because I know fuck all about it. I've kind of worked out that SWPs Back looks like he knows some stuff about it so have asked him for some reading recommendations, however, reading two books recommended by a person with a particular opinion doesn't make me educated enough to turn around and say ALL THIS IS BOLLOCKS.

I cannot fathom the arrogance it takes for people to believe their opinion is more correct than experts who dedicate their lifes to understanding a particular part without doing a single minute of research into the topic. This idea that I should respect your unconsidered, idiiotic and downright stupid opinion is nonsense.

your science is flawed, just because your eloquent doesn't make you right.

i will equal every scientist you come armed with, with a scientist who disagrees with climate change

you are guilty of intellectual bullying at its worst , you should be ashamed

Go and read this, not skim it, actually read it then come back:

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific ... ate_change</a>

corky1970 said:
The current slight increase in global temperatures is well within the earth's customary temperature range. Temperatures today are lower than they were in the mediæval warm period. Sea level has been rising slowly since the end of the last ice age, but the rate of rise shows no sign of increasing.

The Antarctic contains around 90% of the world's ice, and the Antarctic ice mass is increasing, while temperatures are actually trending down slightly over most of the Antarctic.

Only about 3% of global CO2 emissions are man-made, and the relation between atmospheric CO2 concentrations and climate is still subject to debate. Catastrophic predictions of global warming are based on notoriously unreliable computer projections, with both governments and media always seizing on the most alarmist possibilities.

Yet only thirty years ago, serious scientific papers, and the media, were panicking over the threat of global cooling, and the imminent on-set of the next Ice Age! We seem to have a deep psychological need for scare stories.

While the establishment pontificates about the Kyoto protocol, widely accepted estimates of the likely impact of Kyoto (if fully implemented -- of course it won't be) is a reduction in mean global temperatures of about 0.02°C by 2050, and no more than 0.2°C by 2100. We are being asked to decimate energy use, roll back the industrial revolution, and make heroic economic sacrifices, in order to achieve changes in long-term climate projections almost too small to measure.

So why are we constantly bombarded with hysterical climate change propaganda? Why is climate change "the greatest threat facing man-kind" (if you ignore terrorism, nuclear war, the millennium bug, bird flu etc etc)?

The motivation of the green lobby is pretty clear. These people hate capitalism with a passion. In the sixties they'd have been communists. Now their weapon of choice against capitalism, free markets, prosperity and progress is a two-pronged attack on globalisation and climate change. Both prongs are wholly wrong-headed.

Governments jump on the band-wagon not only to respond to the ill-founded fears of voters, but because crusading on climate change offers opportunities both for new taxes, and for the global governance initiatives beloved by political leaders (as well as a distraction from more immediate problems). We hear apologists for the EU talking more and more about its supposed environmental role (despite the massive failure of its Kyoto commitments and its Emissions Trading System).

The enthusiasm of some major corporations takes more explaining. Some are making the most of a bad job, and aligning themselves to the Zeitgeist. But many are "rent seekers". They see commercial opportunities in the incentives offered by government -- for example in the gross market distortions created to promote the economic lunacy of wind farms.

The climate hysteria is now so all-pervading that it is difficult for the still, small voice of common sense to get a hearing. All the more reason to welcome a brilliantly readable new book "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming", by my good friend Chris Horner of the Competitive Enterprise Institute. Tightly argued, full of counter-intuitive information, and peppered with the failed forecasts of green activists, this is essential reading for all those concerned with climate and the environment.

Amongst the quotes, I particularly liked "The threat of a new Ice Age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a major threat to mankind" (Nigel Calder, International Wildlife, 1975); and "Nutritional disaster seems likely to overtake humanity in the '70s (or at latest the '80s) .... (it) could lead to a billion people starving to death" (Ehrlich, The End of Affluence, 1974). Yet today in the West, obesity, not malnutrition, stalks the land.

Which Neo-Con, god-bothering, right wing, capitalist backed rag have you lifted this from?

Damocles said:
This was true 10 years ago. Not now.
No, it's still true. When estimates of negative anthropogenic forcings have margins of error as big as they are, we don't know enough. I don't believe you're rational on this topic at all. When I last saw you posting on this topic, it was a foaming at the mouth rant about 200ft sea level rises (which would take many thousands of years) and an extinction level event. I was surprised at how little faith you placed in technological advancements and indeed the advancement of the human civilisation across a span of several thousand years. In that timespan, we could, I'd say probably will, be colonising other planets.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.