Club vs country *Poll Added*

Who do you follow/support more passionately?

• Total voters
I didnt vote , pointless when I saw the title as I know vast majority will go for club and see it as a opportunity to post cliché hate for their national side - will always be this way

I got a season ticket and follow hammers but equally when England are playing in major tournaments (not fussed friendlies/nations league) then I love to support them also
Hate is a bit harsh, most is couldn't care less. I couldn't care less if they win/lose or draw tbf, and first thought is hopefully no City players get injured....I never make a point of watching it, as it's so boring.

Lost the love for England after being force fed the poster boy love ins with Terry, Cole, Rio, Gerrard and Rooney. Good footballers no doubt but I would have been embarrassed to see them lifting a cup in my countries name. Ok, well mainly Terry and Rooney on that one

I think that the emergence of the so called top 4 and the players associated with that, the media evolved into something akin to fanboyism for these favoured players, maybe even the fa fell for it too. Play a blinder for a lower placed team and get ignored, sub appearance for United and it's off to the world cup with you. Cheating on your teammates with their wives and girlfriends? No fear, the England captaincy is a get out of jail free card apparently.

Had hopes that Southgate would look past all that, and to be fair maybe he has in some ways. But the national team still lacks any kind of identity, and the rift continuing to be pushed by the media in alienating city fans from the mainstream makes it hard for me to feel I can get behind them being wishing our lads play well and stay injury free. Plus there is the whole siege mentality thing - the media have created this whole bad and good narrative around city, and at least I know which side of it I am on and who is the enemy. With England it now feels like the media are wolves in sheep's clothing, just waiting for a Grealish, Foden or Sterling slip up.

Whereas for City I'm bonkers. I check City news several times a day, watch old matches daily and am impatient for our next game to come around.
Bang on the money.

You only have to read back through the thread to see how much hate there is against England
For me it's not hate it's apathy, can't be doing with the racist fans with their German bomber songs and the like. I have come to see the national flag as a symbol of right wing nationalistic hate groups. England is the county I live in but I really feel no empathy with the royal family, the national anthem or our political system. In a way I do envy the pride that some still feel for their countries, as for the national team can't remember the last game I watched. Will probably watch bits of the corrupt world cup but with little interest in who will win. So I think I will vote City.

League football has become so tribal (not helped in any way by our click bait obsessed media) and that has spilled over into the national team. Fans are just looking for certain players to under perform or make a mistake so they can pile on them. Sterling missing a chance is much more enjoyable for many than Sterling hitting the top corner to win the game for their, and his, country. It’s not just City players it applies to and the irony is that under Southgate the squad seems more ‘as one’ than ever before.

League football has become so tribal (not helped in any way by our click bait obsessed media) and that has spilled over into the national team. Fans are just looking for certain players to under perform or make a mistake so they can pile on them. Sterling missing a chance is much more enjoyable for many than Sterling hitting the top corner to win the game for their, and his, country. It’s not just City players it applies to and the irony is that under Southgate the squad seems more ‘as one’ than ever before.

Well said

I'm a Bolton fan but I'd definitely take watching my club over the national team. I do watch the occasional International game but I don't really take much notice of it

I remember as a kid asking my dad about how great was it when we won World Cup in 66 ( he’d have been 22 ) he said he wasn’t really bothered as there wasn’t any City players and a few United players were in the team
It makes sense now as I loved England in 86 and 90 but by late 90s I didn’t care much, I’d say 98 was last time I’m slightly bothered
I never watch a friendly and really only use the tournament games as an excuse for a day out or a house party
I didn’t care a jot when we lost Euros final

The more I've been trying to get excited about England - and I used to be excited watching every England game, the more Sir Gareth has been doing to pour cold water on that excitement with his version of 'pundits football'. Back three or seeing Mings-Coady in the same line-up finally killed it for me. And not to mention that Italy game. I don't care if we win it like Greece did, who even remembers? Positively not bothered any more, particularly with Pep hanging around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.