Clueless misrepresentations of our club

Are Villa a big club?

I suppose it depends on how you define what makes a club big. Our perceptions of which clubs are big is probably skewed by our football watching experiences growing up.

Ask anyone under the age of 18 today and I'm sure they'd state that the likes of Villa , Forest and Leeds and small clubs.

In the interests of discussion how would you define a big club? What would your criteria be?

In the interests of discussion how would you define a big club? What would your criteria be?

Good question.

For me it's a clubs recent success and current outlook for the future/ambition, if these are similar then how long have they managed to sustain their success and the relevant competitiveness of their league. This goes hand in hand with how much of an attractive proposition the club is to players and managers.

It's all relative I suppose.......Leeds are bigger than York, Villa are bigger than Leeds, City are bigger than Villa etc.

Of course people are going to disagree with this, it would be interesting to read what others think makes a club big.

Are the rags still the biggest in England? or have Chelsea and us surpassed them?

When things are going well, you demonstrate your 'worth' by doing a good job in your current role.
When things aren't going so well, you turn to your CV and elaborate on the past highlights.
It's what people do with their careers, it's what fans do with their clubs.

May I point out that "criteria" is the plural of "criterion".

So you cannot have "one criteria".

Call me a boring pedant if you will, but we should observe the proprieties.

The whole term big club is bollocks.

Each and every football club means something to someone. Whether it is successful or not, people develop a passion, attachment and love for it and even if it wins one meaningless game that can light up things and there are varying degrees of success. City are no bigger now than they ever have been. They are more successful. With success comes further scrutiny but I couldn't care less what other people think of us, I never have.

It's the same with life really. The rich and famous may make the headlines but it doesn't mean someone who works a 9-5.30 job for their whole life and has one holiday a year can't be happy with how things are and can't feel as though they've achieved anything.

If City fans can respect other clubs and not look down on them then we're a bigger club than the likes of the rags and dippers.

A club being called a big club in this new era where football is so popular I feel we should change what a big club is..

have you won the champs league in the last 10

Have you won the league in the last 10 years?

have you won a cup in the last 5 years

is your turnover in the top 10 in the world?

Is your club in the top 10 on viewing figures?

[welcome to add more Criteria]

It's a Birmingham thing, they have a chip on their shoulder about Manchester. Our city is a vibrant forward thinking place full of culture whereas Birmingham is city stuck in an post industrial malaise, other than London Manchester is the most hippest place in England. I get it regular from an associate from Birmingham about it being the second city, I shrug my shoulders and 'oh right'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.