Clueless misrepresentations of our club

It's a Birmingham thing, they have a chip on their shoulder about Manchester. Our city is a vibrant forward thinking place full of culture whereas Birmingham is city stuck in an post industrial malaise, other than London Manchester is the most hippest place in England. I get it regular from an associate from Birmingham about it being the second city, I shrug my shoulders and 'oh right'.
Agreed, I get the same all the time

He's staying at Villa cause he wants to #Fight like Lions. Just like they did in the Cup Final.

Villa are a big club. But let's be honest must of their success was pure the first world war. I know they won the league over 30 years ago and the European Cup. No FA cups since 1957 a couple of league cups in the 90s. When they've got near they've taken on their arse. They're another of the history brigade. But conveniently ignore ours. They also went down to div 4 in the early 70s remember.
No I don't remember. Possibly because it didn't happen. They did spend two seasons on the third shelf though.

A club being called a big club in this new era where football is so popular I feel we should change what a big club is..

have you won the champs league in the last 10

Have you won the league in the last 10 years?

have you won a cup in the last 5 years

is your turnover in the top 10 in the world?

Is your club in the top 10 on viewing figures?

[welcome to add more Criteria]

Sadly waspish I think that is the way it is going.

On the day the takeover was announced 2 work colleagues, that I thought we had friendly banter with each other looked at me and said "well at least we have 'history" Neither of them would accept that all clubs have history and depite the success or lack of it, it was still relevant.

Someone mentioned Rochdale. For me it's Macc Town. They are still important to me as that is my home town club even though I live in the 7th circle of hell that is Salford. Are Macc Town a "bigger" club than Leeds or Norwich or Derby county? No, not by the metrics that have been mentioned. But Macc is more important to me than any of those supposed "bigger" clubs.

Like supercity88 says the whole term big club is bollocks. It's used by people when they can not articulate a reasoned argument a la children in the playground who say "my dad's bigger than your dad"

A club being called a big club in this new era where football is so popular I feel we should change what a big club is..

have you won the champs league in the last 10

Have you won the league in the last 10 years?

have you won a cup in the last 5 years

is your turnover in the top 10 in the world?

Is your club in the top 10 on viewing figures?

[welcome to add more Criteria]
Tallest floodlights.

Big Club? Better Club?

Yes, Villa are seemingly forever in transition. Yes, we are coming off the back of another near miss in terms of our top flight safety. However, we are a massive club, with heritage and history. Whilst these things don’t impact upon results on the field in the here and now, they do shape a football club.

Man City, for all their riches and recent silverware, are no Manchester United. Their success is bought. Plucking every single player of promise and talent, from any team, anywhere….it makes for a team of mercenaries. Do City carry the stature in the game that really screams “big club”?

Villa may not have trophies of late, but we are a massive club with values & class. Can the same be said of Man City?
err?
How many trophies have Villa won in the last 100 years or so? Most of their trophies were won whilst Charles Darwin was still a radical and most other clubs had barely got going -if they had got going at all.
I'm not a Utd, LFC or AFC fan so I'm not saying they don't have history, they do, like all clubs, but to suggest they're a club that looms over MCFC is silly. Even worse, this idea that they have some special set of values and class? that's nothing more than blind tribal bias.

There is 1 reason and 1 reason only why Delph opted to stay at Villa; he's not confident in his ability.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.