Coates - 7M, Mertesacker - £8M, Savic - £7M

In my opinion Mertesacker is one of the best CB's around, although this is only based on his performances for Bremen and for the German national team and his lack of pace will be an issue in the premier league.

Savic is only 20 so will have plenty of team to get used to the league and he is a quality player. When Montenegro played England at Wembley he looked more than comfortable playing against top players.

if we want to win CL we have to be competitive against teams like real madrid and barca.

now i think we all can agree that we currently are not. people says lescott is not a weakness

so i'm very curios who they think are the weak links.

in my opinion lescott is just one but not the only one.

A wash for me.

Mertesacker is older and has been on poor form, he was in the Bundesliga 'worst 11' for 2010-11. Slowest of the bunch.

Coates looks a great signing. Hasn't played in Europe at all, so he is a complete unknown. Physically he looks the best. If I had to put money on anyone succeeding it would be him, not that I've even seen enough to wager anything.

Savic has some European experience but doesn't look particularly formidable compared to the other 2. I haven't even seen enough of him to know what type of CB he will develop into.

The Fat el Hombre said:
Fees there or thereabouts. Now first off, let me say that I've seen very very little any of these three players, so I'm not in a place to judge but other people on here might be. Just looking at the players pedigree - Savic is only 20 but is a full international with 7 caps and 2 goals, so looks like he might have a lot of potential. He's 6 foot 1 and fairly comfortable on the ball and looks assured but his build is maybe a little slight at the moment. Obviously he'll get bigger but he lookes like an ectomorph to me so I doubt he'll ever be a beast.

Coates is also 20 and a full international with 5 caps for Uruguay. At 6"6 he's a beast and with him being the Copa América Best Young Player: 2011 he's obviously got a bit of talent about him.

Then there's Mertesacker - about to turn 27, 6"6 and already a whopping 75 caps for Germany. From what I've read in various places people are saying he might not be suited to the prem because of a severe lack of pace.

Now my point is this - with the other 2 centre halves going to arsenal and liverpool and with us currently being the far more desirable option than those two (despite what deluded scousers will spout and yes I know Coates is mates with Suarez but in the real world that wouldn't have meant dick), did we pick the right centre half? With Coates and Savic being the same age that's going to be a fairly straight forward comparison but maybe only time will tell, but with Mertesacker there looks to me as though there is a ready made, experienced centre half who could possibly have slotted in very well next to Vinny? Lescott appears to be the weakest link in the team at the moment and maybe signing a ready made centre half like Mertesacker would have benefitted us the most? If you're looking more long term (and Bob obviously is), then maybe Coates would have been the better option as by all accounts he has huge potential and his much bigger build may make him an instant force in the prem ala Phil Jones (who I haven't included in this comparison due to the much higher fee), unlike Savic who might need a bit of beefing up.

Obviously I have faith in Mancini and the scouting system but I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on this and these players?
agree Savic is an unknown but looks raw in his appearances so far when you compare him with Mertesacker and I think we have made a bad error with not signing Coates. Lescott is our most aerially dominant CB, we needed that talent in his backup.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
Lescott is playing very well and a fully proven premier league player and we have Kolo in reserve (plus Micah can move over if we have a crisis) so a player more for the future sounds right to me.

Fed up of hearing about Lescott being the weak link. I just don't think he is.

Then who is? If your answer is nobody, then we should be ready to win the CL.

BlueJill said:
Nelly's Left Foot said:
Lescott is playing very well and a fully proven premier league player and we have Kolo in reserve (plus Micah can move over if we have a crisis) so a player more for the future sounds right to me.

Fed up of hearing about Lescott being the weak link. I just don't think he is.

Too a man we a watching the best football in most of our lives,lets hope they all remain fit and success will follow.Lescott is playing fantastic give him a break.

Just watched Savic play against Wales.

Pros:
His passing is fantastic-whether short balls or long balls forward
His not too bad in the air
He closes down players quickly

Cons:
His positioning on a number of occasions was poor along with his reading of situations
He made a number of silly mistakes
Lacks the pace it seems especially against Bale and Bellamy

That was my take-anyone agree/disagree?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.