Cole Palmer

Really really don’t want this deal to happen. So many teams are throwing around £50m+ on players they don’t know how well they’ll do. Who knows how good nunes will turn out to be? Kalvin Phillips cost a ton and he’s not played. But palmer is home grown, loyal, local lad, talented.

My worry is he becomes an absolute premier league legend at Chelsea and we have to watch him play for them for the next decade.

Don’t sell!!

it does seem odd that our younger teams sweep up the honours but hardly any go onto be first team regulars at City. From a business perspective the academy seems hugely profitable and maybe that was always the point.
The last part of your post in the key point. I think our academy players were always going to be currency to buy tier 1 talent like Haaland. The occasional Phil Foden will come out of the woodwork, but the overwhelming majority will be sold.

it does seem odd that our younger teams sweep up the honours but hardly any go onto be first team regulars at City. From a business perspective the academy seems hugely profitable and maybe that was always the point.

Pretty sure the management weren't planning / or expecting a City team full of former youth team members.

Expected income from development fees/transfer fees would be however

Being happy that we've won a load of trophies and being disappointed at lack of academy players making it into the first team are not mutually exclusive.

In seven years we've only had Phil and Rico properly make it.

That isn't anywhere near good enough IMO.
The function of a modern football academy is't necessarily about developing players for the first team though.

It's about developing players into saleable assets to help fund the club, and if one or two of them make the grade for us, all the better. I'm pretty satisfied with our setup.

Sad to see him go and he'll be sad to leave. But if he wants first team football he'd be better off at Brighton than Chelsea, he'd have a better manager, more like Pep. And with sea air too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.