Cole Palmer

Being happy that we've won a load of trophies and being disappointed at lack of academy players making it into the first team are not mutually exclusive.

In seven years we've only had Phil and Rico properly make it.

That isn't anywhere near good enough IMO.
Has Rico made it though, he has palyed played similar number of games as palmer last season and if honest looks like he isn't displacing walker now he has adapted to the new system.
Yes he has had a lot of praise from the manager, but plenty of smoke was blown up Palmers arse when he debuted by Pep, and we still seem to opt to buy ready made player than risk a less successful season and try the youth, eventually selling them on.

After last seson I would have been happy to see Palmer, McAtee & Lewis fully blooded into the first 11 over buying replacing mahrez and gundo and risked a less successful year.

Last edited:
I understand how the academy works but I think the balance isn't quite right.
It’s not about balance though, we aren’t going to play youngsters who aren’t at the required level just to appease fans who love the idea of having more kids involved.
Like everything else you judge something on its success and anybody looking into our club will see success from top to bottom.
People have to let go of the notion of our academy being primarily about getting players into the first team squad. Any that do are just a huge bonus after the real business of bringing good money into the clubs coffers.

Isnt a he a united supporters? My worry is we by selling him we create a path for him to join united later on

I sort of get the thinking but there's a significant gap in quality between Riyad and Cole.

True but Mahrez was largely playing a back up role last season. Think it could’ve been a big show of faith in the academy to let Palmer pick up his minutes, but instead we went for Doku.

I’m not mad at it just a bit disappointed, especially with how Cole showed signs of promise vs Arsenal and Sevilla this season

True but Mahrez was largely playing a back up role last season. Think it could’ve been a big show of faith in the academy to let Palmer pick up his minutes, but instead we went for Doku.

I’m not mad at it just a bit disappointed, especially with how Cole showed signs of promise vs Arsenal and Sevilla this season
We might have planned for that, Doku has been lining up on the LW in training so far. Chelsea must have made a hell of a pitch to him and his agent to sell getting a better chance imo.

Sad to see him go and he'll be sad to leave. But if he wants first team football he'd be better off at Brighton than Chelsea, he'd have a better manager, more like Pep. And with sea air too.

Suspect that he would be better off almost anywhere ( not rags or dippers ) than Chelsea , apart from the money .

But De Zerbi does seem a manager who would be best suited for him, but doubt that they would cough up a similar fee as Chelsea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.