Cole Palmer

Would have preferred him to have a season on loan but he/we apparently weren't up for that option.

At this stage of his career he's not good enough, consistent enough and possibly not strong enough physically or mentally to be a first choice starter for us.

Would he have been in the future? We'll never know for certain now no matter what his career progression is.

Realistically he's probably a mid Prem level player at the moment and will ultimately get some full England caps.

I wish him good luck, as others have said a team with 6/7 of our own lads would be fantastic but the world turns and if we have 3/4 active in the main squad that's the best we can hope for and by active I mean Phil/Rico who don't spend 99% of the time just sitting on the bench making up numbers.

We haven't had many who are good enough either, proven by how they've performed at other clubs they've moved to. Sancho initially looked like one we would regret selling, but he's nosedived. The rest have all brought in good fees and not really done that much. Lavia is the one I'm interested to see, but moving to Chelsea means I would expect he only plays a bit part role and possibly stalls as well.

I don't get why Palmer would go to Chelsea, it doesn't make sense to me. Money talks though, he's probably thinking he can play as often or more but get paid a lot more either way. I really think he could have had a career at City if he allowed himself this season. There's a spot for him if he wanted it, and then the rewards would come.
Wish the lad all the best but I was in the crowd in Athens where there was a collective groan at his continual reluctance to take his man on (possibly under orders).He is a good talent in my opinion ,whilst tricky but lacking pace for a winger.We got a good fee and we move on everybody happy unless he morphs into a 100m player which I doubt at this point.

I’ve never understood this. Why does it matter where anyone is from, as long as they improve us and help City be successful I couldn’t give a fuck if we fielded eleven Martians.
Because we are a football club that should support, connect and aim to improve the local area at the end of the day. Many fans would greatly appreciate players who've grown up city through and through and understand the importance of the club, and many kids would idolise and be inspired by local players from similar backgrounds as them.

Think we got good money out of a player who barely started. Talented kid, but is at that stage where he needs regular game time. Personally I would've preferred a loan, but I don't think that's what Palmer wants.

It's fair there are supporters who will be upset over losing a local, academy lad, but it is what it is. There are footballing standards to upkeep at the club. If you are not good enough to start, you are open for a sale. I guess to some supporters, they'd see it as the price we pay to be serial winners, else every top club's squad would be swimming with the Elangas and Harry Winks.

It doesn't mean it's the end of our academy though. We will still have another Foden. Supporters just have to accept we will lose a couple more Palmers before we get to another Foden.

All that aside, I wish the lad all the best. Although it's a strange choice choosing Chelsea if he wants regular starts.

Wish the lad all the best but I was in the crowd in Athens where there was a collective groan at his continual reluctance to take his man on (possibly under orders).He is a good talent in my opinion ,whilst tricky but lacking pace for a winger.We got a good fee and we move on everybody happy unless he morphs into a 100m player which I doubt at this point.
Brighton wanted him which suggests he has a chance. It’s exactly what their business model looks for.

Not sure who if anyone this is a good move for.

City lose a good player in an area where we've already lost one player.

Palmer says he wants more minutes and goes to a club who have a lot of wide players.

Chelsea pay a lot of money in an area where they seem strong.

I like him and hope he does well but I hope we don't regret it this season.
Doku I've seen more on the left and Bernardo and Phil are surely going to be used centrally quite a lot.
You should know by now Pep just has very good players in the squad who can play in a variety of positions, the team formation is very fluid, he doesn’t pigeon hole most players to one particular role (and I did post “most”).

I am a bit disappointed that Cole has not made it at City but astonished and delighted at the fee we received for him. He has some great skills - particularly long range shooting - but with his languid style is not a typical "Pep" player.
I don't know why he did not achieve more last season but I guess a lot of his appearances were as a sub when we were effectively just managing out games so maybe difficult to shine in those. His departure should means more chances for McAtee and Bobb who may fit the City style more naturally.
I also question Chelsea as a destination. A team like Villa or Brighton might have given him a better platform. If he does not perform from the off at Chelsea he could be sidelined and stuck on a long contract with wages that other clubs would not match.
No idea how his career will go but I wish him well.

I'm gutted about this.

Only really seen him play in a wide position. A position where strength and pace are attributes that are usually associated with a player thats successful in a wide position. Cole in my eyes isn't blessed with either in my opinion but he still had the ability to create space for himself and make something happen. He's talented. He possibly suffers from a lack of confidence due to game time but, I'm convinced that if he gets a good run of games, he'll become a fantastic player.

Will he get that at Chelsea though? You could argue that there's more competition at Chelsea these days so time will tell.

Decent money I suppose but I'd have liked to see him get starts in the cup competitions and a handful of Premier league games this season to see how he develops.

You might have been looking at Grealish rather than Cole because he took Acuna on with great success plenty of times in that second half. Destroyed him and was the reason we won that game ultimately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.